DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there a risk using an old phone ?

Storyline

Reactions
I have got the app running on my Motorola G6 1st generation to control my new Mavic Pro. The video feed works OK but the app is very sluggish at times.

Is there a risk of the app crashing and return to home or other unwanted behaviour happening ? Also, if I restart the app does it just carry on where it left off ?

I have got the app running on my Motorola G6 1st generation to control my new Mavic Pro. The video feed works OK but the app is very sluggish at times.

Is there a risk of the app crashing and return to home or other unwanted behaviour happening ? Also, if I restart the app does it just carry on where it left off ?

if you have o choice then be careful but the better the phone sometimes helps a lot more for speed of use etc .. if you think about it your putting a 1000 euro drone in the faith of an old android phone .. your choice mate some people here have no issues with them ..

You should probably have at least 2gb ram (3 or more is best) and something above android 5 as an os. A crashing app does not initiate RTH. You still have radio contact and control and the AC does not know that go4 lagged or crashed. You can RTH with the physical button, though. If you can get the app to reconnect then yes, it will resume as normal. Try flying in airplane mode, and use a higher quality data cable.

There are very economical tablets out there that work well and make the experience much nicer. I use a refurb Lenovo Tab4 8 inch with android 7- $58.oo US plus a $10 adapter for the remote. I won't go back to a phone.

The risk is your sluggish phone not responding to your controls fast enough to avoid a crash, goodby Mavic.

Thanks for the replies.
Just got Motorola G6 new version with larger screen and 2.2 GHz octocore processor and 3 gig ram so should be a lot better.

Reactions: Irish-apple
The risk is your sluggish phone not responding to your controls fast enough to avoid a crash, goodby Mavic.
The Mavic is controlled with the remote controller. If your phone (or tablet) is sluggish and/or crashes, you'll still continue to have complete control.

Reactions: drone_video
The Mavic is controlled with the remote controller. If your phone (or tablet) is sluggish and/or crashes, you'll still continue to have complete control.

This is exactly right. The only risk with a less than ideal phone is that you don’t see the pending crash soon enough as the screen lags etc. But none of the controls will not work as a result.

What that said the side effect of a not great phone is you end of dealing with warnings and resetting etc that it wastes time and distracts you from the flight. So no direct concerns but you should consider when you close a phone or tablet to use.

Another way to reduce risk is keep the extra software you install on the phone to a minimum. There are some poorly written apps out there (generally the free ones) that can cause issues.

Same difference, if your video lags, no matter how good the controller is, your response time is non-existent without video if you’re out of LOS (hold the comments on flying non LOS). I testing with my iPad Air 1st Gen and the video feedback was choppy so I felt it unsafe to fly in case I need to avoid obstacles.

So having sluggish video feedback should also be considered a safety issue if flying in a populated area.

Reactions: Irish-apple
Same difference, if your video lags, no matter how good the controller is, your response time is non-existent without video if you’re out of LOS (hold the comments on flying non LOS).
If you're not flying VLOS at the time, you should still be able to get your Mavic back to the home point safely using the data on the remote controller screen. Ascend to a safe altitude and fly the Mavic back toward you until you're able to see it. You'll know your Mavic is getting closer to the home point when the distance is decreasing.

Distance.jpg

What that said the side effect of a not great phone is you end of dealing with warnings and resetting etc that it wastes time and distracts you from the flight. So no direct concerns but you should consider when you close a phone or tablet to use.
That is exactly what prompted me to upgrade my phone. Although I have many hours on a Phantom 1 Vision it was a few years ago and I am going to be fairly rusty. I remember that even flying LOS I used to rely on the phone screen for either video or other data to confirm the craft's orientation. Without that and when it was distant it was possible to lose sight by flying off the wrong way. When at the limits, the last thing I would want is to have to reboot the software. As a double whammy, the fact that the phone was old would mean that could be a lengthy process.
I agree however that for a fully confident pilot at one with the Mavic it is feasible to fly with reasonable success with a slow phone. It is just far from ideal imo.

Reactions: drone_video
My brother flys with that exact phone no issues with it. But wait for others to comment also please.

[QUOTE = "drone_video, post: 501713, member: 58835"] Meu irmão voa com aquele telefone exato sem problemas com ele. Mas espere que os outros comentem também, por favor. [/ QUOTE]
But using Mavic Air?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie