DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there any point in a drone in the UK?

Haggisman

Reactions
Hi all,

My son has asked for a drone for Christmas, and after a bit of research on what would be most suitable for him, I've got him a Mini Whoop to play around with in the house. Only problem is, all this research has made me want one too, so I've just ordered myself a Mavic Mini 2 for a good price.

However, from a bit more research around the regulations etc. it seems there are very few places in the UK where you can actually fly legally?

I'd like to be able to take some nice "action shots" when I go hiking with mates, e.g. in the Peak or Lake districts, Brecon Beacons, Scottish forest parks, or just local countryside areas (when out with the family).

I'm happy to do the online test and register etc. but even so, it seems like 90% of the country is covered by some sort of restriction, whether it's a national park, local council, SSSI etc. which renders the above pretty pointless and limits flying locations to private fields etc. where you've managed to get the landowners permission in advance?

What are the chances of being slapped with a fine if you're flying somewhere which isn't "technically" legal, but you're behaving yourself - e.g. in the middle of nowhere, staying well away from other people etc.?

After my reading the last few days, I'm getting a bit disheartened, and tempted to just return it to be honest. :(

Reactions: petedffy
Hi all,

My son has asked for a drone for Christmas, and after a bit of research on what would be most suitable for him, I've got him a Mini Whoop to play around with in the house. Only problem is, all this research has made me want one too, so I've just ordered myself a Mavic Mini 2 for a good price.

However, from a bit more research around the regulations etc. it seems there are very few places in the UK where you can actually fly legally?

I'd like to be able to take some nice "action shots" when I go hiking with mates, e.g. in the Peak or Lake districts, Brecon Beacons, Scottish forest parks, or just local countryside areas (when out with the family).

I'm happy to do the online test and register etc. but even so, it seems like 90% of the country is covered by some sort of restriction, whether it's a national park, local council, SSSI etc. which renders the above pretty pointless and limits flying locations to private fields etc. where you've managed to get the landowners permission in advance?

What are the chances of being slapped with a fine if you're flying somewhere which isn't "technically" legal, but you're behaving yourself - e.g. in the middle of nowhere, staying well away from other people etc.?

After my reading the last few days, I'm getting a bit disheartened, and tempted to just return it to be honest. :(
With the Mini you can just take it out the box, make sure you're in a sensible place to fly and off you go.
Easy as that!

It's only when they get over 250 grams you have to worry about tests and everything.
So long as you use your "noodle" with the Mini you'll be good!
Just don't go flying over crowds of people or kids football matches or low over traffic and stay away from airports and things like that.
You need to be trying hard to get into trouble.

I wonder who the biggest "kid" will be... LOL Happy flying with you and your kid. Have fun ?

there are many places to fly in the UK i fly up the Brecon Beacons a lot when i am not in lockdown ,its all about following the drone rules and avoiding crowds of people ,and being aware of the airspace you are flying in,provided you have done so, the only time you will have any bother, is if you ignore signs that specifically forbid drone flying ,this can be because of a bylaw ,bird breading season,sensitive area ,or even notams advising you of airspace restrictions ,like the one in force at the moment in Sennybridge because of jamming trials going on

Welcome to the forum. I hope you and your son enjoy flying drones as much as we all do.

You’ve come to the right place for help.

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi Haggisman Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
No reason at all to be disheartened you will love the Mini 2, with a little common sense you can fly all over the place.
I was out this morning getting a video of the poppy’s round the cenotaph in the local park with my M2P
You can fly in all of the National Park but not National Trust, at least you can’t take off from National Trust property but you can technically fly over it as they don’t own the air space.
Flying in the middle of nowhere away from people isn't in any way illegal.
New flyer advice,
Wide open space.
Slow & easy
Power-lines & trees are evil.
Don't forget to read the manual ;)
Download Mini 2 manual HERE

Thanks for the replies, not quite as grim as it appears for a newbie then!

I definitely intend to follow the rules - at almost 40 I've lost all interest in being a **** for the sake of it, but obviously there are rules, and then there are "rules"... ;). Would I be right in thinking it's a bit like the wild camping rules in England, where it's not really legal, but as long as you are responsible then you'll tend to get left alone?

Unfortunately, home is "just" within the boundaries of the restricted zone around Birmingham airport (depending which map you use, the end of the garden is either in or out), so no testing it out in the living room either :( (although I thought I read somewhere I could request permission to only fly indoors?).

Looking at a few maps online, Clent Hills (where we like to go walk as a family) doesn't appear to be formally restricted in any way, but I'll be honest, there's so much conflicting info around (and it's often not clear who owns the land!), that it's hard to tell!

Welcome to the forum. I’ve used my drones for years in the scenarios you’ve detailed and never had any bother. As long as you stick to the drone code, and don’t bother uninvolved people you’ll be fine - especially with a Mini.

there are no restrictions for flying inside your home even if you live next door to the airport ,the issue you will have is that the geo fencing built into the drone will probably prevent the motors from starting in the house ,this can be overcome by covering the top of the drone with foil to block the GPS signals from reaching the drone but it also means that the drone will be more difficult to control and will drift ,and to be honest flying inside is not really a ideal situation unless you live in a mansion

I live close to Edinburgh airport but can still fly.

Get the DJI fly app and ask on here how to use it when you get it and the app and the guys here will keep you right.
Some places are complete "NO GO can't unlock" zones and others are "Be responsible self unlock" zones. Check the map on the app when you get it and it'll make more sense to you.

It's honestly easy buddy and you'll be amazed just how easy! There are plenty places for you to go... you'll see! ?

there are no restrictions for flying inside your home even if you live next door to the airport ,the issue you will have is that the geo fencing built into the drone will probably prevent the motors from starting in the house ,this can be overcome by covering the top of the drone with foil to block the GPS signals from reaching the drone but it also means that the drone will be more difficult to control and will drift ,and to be honest flying inside is not really a ideal situation unless you live in a mansion

Yeah, that's more what I meant, I've installed the DJI app, and it tells me it's an authorization zone. TBH, as you've said, flying inside with restricted space is probably a bad idea - especially since the mini 2 doesn't come with prop guards!

Yeah, that's more what I meant, I've installed the DJI app, and it tells me it's an authorization zone. TBH, as you've said, flying inside with restricted space is probably a bad idea - especially since the mini 2 doesn't come with prop guards!
Go to a nice big open field for your first flight. Flying indoors is risky. If you get close to the ceiling the drone will get sucked up into it. Watch as many videos as possible too, and read the manual. It’s boring but will save your shiny new drone. Pay attention to the return to home feature and how it works. A lot of people think it’s a get out of jail free card, but there’s a bit more to it than that. if you think you're in trouble, try and get the drone lower as it’s easier to handle, and harder to lose.

?

Thanks for the advice, I think a big open field is definitely a good plan!!

Looking at the Dji refresh for £45 - guessing that's worth getting for the first year at least, since I'm likely to have some... accidents! Although that doesn't cover flyaways, so maybe drone insurance instead (which I guess is maybe worth having anyway due to the public liability cover?)

Reactions: charliej
OMM is there any chance of you and the folks that know their way around the pending regs putting together either a thread or tutotial etc. for numpties like me whose brain goes to sleep when I/we try to plough my/our way through it/them? I am beiginning to flap lol

OMM is there any chance of you and the folks that know their way around the pending regs putting together either a thread or tutotial etc. for numpties like me whose brain goes to sleep when I/we try to plough my/our way through it/them? I am beiginning to flap lol
There used to be a few on here. I’ll see if I can find them. The thing is, they change so often then get delayed so it’s hard to keep up.
it might be best to just ask. MrMPW on YouTube does a good job of making them easy to follow and updates with changes as they happen.

Thanks, with regard to YT, I can only take youtubers in small doses and given I am deaf and have to use the auto subtitles which can be totally "up the left" there are very few YT broadcasts I can stomach. The trouble is for every good you-tuber the are 100's of posing prats who are primarily blowing there own trumpet.

@PhiliusFoggg the advice from @Lastrexking in post #15 is very good ,the videos that Mr MPW puts out are excellent in explaining the ins and outs of the new regs and rules ,it was the UAVHUB that he is part of that i used to get my A2 C of C or you can of course go on the CAA website and view all the latest updates if you prefer to read ,rather than listen

Thanks, with regard to YT, I can only take youtubers in small doses and given I am deaf and have to use the auto subtitles which can be totally "up the left" there are very few YT broadcasts I can stomach. The trouble is for every good you-tuber the are 100's of posing prats who are primarily blowing there own trumpet.
This is also a good resource. Drone Training | HELIGUY.com™
if you ignore the training aspect it tells you what you can do depending on what DJI Drone you have. It’s broken down too, so not too much reading.

Other than that, just ask ?

some basics of the new rules from January the first 2021
there will be three categories of operating our drones
(1) the open category
there are three main factors for operating in this category
(1) the maximum take of mass of the UA must be less than 25kg
(2) the UA must be operated within visual line of sight (VLOS)
(3) the UA must not be flown higher than 120m from surface of the earth
all three of these factors must apply for an open category operation,if they cant be met then the flight needs to be conducted under the specific category

(2) the specific category
these are operations that present a higher risk than flights in the open category,and where one or more elements of the flight fall outside those of the open category,these will then require an additional authorisation from the CAA based on a safety risk assessment

(3)the certified category
these are operations that present an equivalent risk to that of a manned aircraft,and will be subject to the same regulatory regime
these will be very large commercial type drones used for film making and large fixed wing drones that have a high degree of automanny

this is just an overview and each category have subsections based on weight of the drone
hope this helps to get you started

for the first two years of the new rules ,the drones we own now, will be able to be flown as we do now they are classed as legacy drones,
its after the two year transitional period has ended, that they will be subject to different proximity distances, from not only congested areas but any building or uninvolved persons,this will be different for the MM or M2 because of their weight

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej