DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is there any reason NOT to get a Part 107 certificate

Maviac

Reactions
To begin with, this is a hypothetical - I'm Parts 61 and 107 and plan to keep both forever (and as long as able, current). But there have been many threads about the benefits/downsides of doing it, so I wanted to get others' thoughts.

I'm really having a hard time finding a downside (other than the relatively small cost and relatively modest time to prepare, and the latter is a good thing anyway).

Sometimes, there is a discussion of rules being more restrictive for 107 flying, but that's a non-issue, since 107 can fly under recreational rules when they want. Part 107 only gives additional rights.

Otherwise, the SOLE possible downside I've been able to come up with is that if you are a Part 61 pilot and do something dumb with your drone, it MIGHT affect your other certificates (and even then, I don't know what the FAA's position is on this). Of course, this shouldn't be an issue for anyone who is a responsible pilot, but I'm just thinking of possible issues.

I'm also hoping maybe next time this comes up someone will use the search feature and find this, but it looks like nobody uses the search feature before posting (and to be fair, it's kind of hidden in the corner).

Reactions: BigAl07
There may not be a reason not to other than the costs you noted, some people just want to fly recreationally, and not go through learning perhaps some potentially complicated flight rules and processes that may never apply to them.

There may not be a reason not to other than the costs you noted, some people just want to fly recreationally, and not go through learning perhaps some potentially complicated flight rules and processes that may never apply to them.
Understood. But the flight rules aren't complicated. I know the rules for airspace and they can be a little tricky (e.g., distance from clouds, visibility, communication/clearance/transponder rules, which differ for B, C and D) but UAS pilots don't really need to know any of that. Any pilot could pass the UAS recurrent exam with 100% with little study.

I guess this is preaching to the choir, and it's tautological, but the reality is the folks who don't care about rules are the ones who aren't going to follow them to begin with.

Last edited:
Understood. But the flight rules aren't complicated. I know the rules for airspace and they can be a little tricky (e.g., distance from clouds, visibility, communication/clearance/transponder rules, which differ for B, C and D) but UAS pilots don't really need to know any of that.
You made my point more or less.. everything you just noted, that rarely enters the recreational pilots lexicon, other than perhaps class of airspace and thats from apps that tell them to use LAANC to fly, is perhaps why they don't bother... Even LAANC perhaps is confusing and the average rec pilot merely finds some place else to fly.

Now if you have a need, and you want to make money legally from drone flights, then that would push some to go for it...

I can think of one sort-of downside: Any drone flown under Part 107 MUST be registered, even if it's below the 250g limit. That's a non-issue for me, because
  • I'm don't mind having identifying info on my drone. In fact, I've also written my phone number on it, to increase the odds of it coming back to me in case of a fly-away.
  • I sometimes fly my Mavic Mini with propeller guards, and will probably add a light soon, either of which puts it over the 250g limit and requires registration anyway
Still, I can see how some people who want avoid having their info in the FAA's computers or on their drone might prefer to fly a sub-250g drone anonymously via the recreational exemption.

Strictly speaking, having a Part 107 certificate doesn't make flying an unregistered drone impossible, it's just that you'd need to keep your unregistered drone(s) restricted to recreational flights, make sure all your Part 107 flights are flown with properly registered drone(s). I don't have enough drones for that.

I can think of one sort-of downside: Any drone flown under Part 107 MUST be registered, even if it's below the 250g limit. That's a non-issue for me, because
  • I'm don't mind having identifying info on my drone. In fact, I've also written my phone number on it, to increase the odds of it coming back to me in case of a fly-away.
  • I sometimes fly my Mavic Mini with propeller guards, and will probably add a light soon, either of which puts it over the 250g limit and requires registration anyway
Still, I can see how some people who want avoid having their info in the FAA's computers or on their drone might prefer to fly a sub-250g drone anonymously via the recreational exemption.

Strictly speaking, having a Part 107 certificate doesn't make flying an unregistered drone impossible, it's just that you'd need to keep your unregistered drone(s) restricted to recreational flights, make sure all your Part 107 flights are flown with properly registered drone(s). I don't have enough drones for that.
Right, but my question is if there is a DOWNSIDE to having a 107 certification. All of the things you mention can be done under recreational rules by a Part 107 holder. It's only an issue if you deem it a flight under Part 107. If you're never going to fly your 250g drone under 107, should be a non-issue.

I don't see ANY realistic downside to getting Part 107. If for nothing more than the simple fact is if you do anything during a Recreational Flight (~44809) that is outside of the protective bubble of ~44809 you are, by DEFAULT held account for all the regulations of Part 107. Most Recreational Operators who went on to get Part 107 come back and say how much they appreciate the rules etc now that they have a better understanding of 107 and the NAS as a whole.

I look forward to seeing The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) in a few months.

Understood. But the flight rules aren't complicated. I know the rules for airspace and they can be a little tricky (e.g., distance from clouds, visibility, communication/clearance/transponder rules, which differ for B, C and D) but UAS pilots don't really need to know any of that. Any pilot could pass the UAS recurrent exam with 100% with little study.

I guess this is preaching to the choir, and it's tautological, but the reality is the folks who don't care about rules are the ones who aren't going to follow them to begin with.
YOU say they aren't complicated - based on what - YOU. I took a 107 Class from DartDrones and it is COMPLICATED. Not to mention the testing, studying, etc. Also that class was not cheap. Was it necessary to go for a 107 - no it was not - but to have someone with experience explain most of the very technical details was worth it. I should have gotten my 107 right after that - but did not buy a drone for 2 more years.

It may be a piece of cake for some - but I'm a senior citizen and learning all that "crap" nearly blew a few brain cells. As a recreational flyer - I do need to know some of the stuff to fly legally, safely, and such - but I'll never be a PILOT who uses all of the info you need for a 107.

Kudo's to all that do go for the 107 and PASS. I have NO NEED for a 107 at the moment and don't want to spend a lot of time studying charts and such to go take the test. I'd rather be flying my drone.

I would hope that companies like DartDrones / etc would design a less intensive class at a better price to teach the basics along with the rules a Rec Flyer needs to fly safely, within the law, and have a bit of confidence when starting out. I see many in this group who definitely need something like that, if they'd pay or go to it. Would save many posts about crashes and issues they may already know prior to those incidents happening - from that training. Maybe Community Colleges could do it for a lower price - then hopefully more people would attend.

Possibly issue a certificate or something that would allow those whom have completed the training to get permission to fly in more areas that now restrict it. Yet, there would always be those that would not take it and want to fly in those areas too. Always a double edged sword when relaxing for part of a group and not the whole group.

Last edited:
YOU say they aren't complicated - based on what - YOU. I took a 107 Class from DartDrones and it is COMPLICATED. Not to mention the testing, studying, etc.
He stated he is a current part 61 manned pilot so yes based on his experience is not complicated. Student pilots (manned) initially have the same feeling you have about airspace etc. For anyone coming into it cold it can appear daunting. Like anything else it takes study. There are many online resources for airspace classification...AOPA is one of many.

Reactions: ckoerner
Right, but my question is if there is a DOWNSIDE to having a 107 certification. All of the things you mention can be done under recreational rules by a Part 107 holder. It's only an issue if you deem it a flight under Part 107. If you're never going to fly your 250g drone under 107, should be a non-issue.
I do not see the downside of holding a 107 as a part 61 pilot. I feel it removes gray areas of the FARs involved. The initial and re-current courses and testing are free for 61. $5.00 for a 3 year drone registration is minimal.

Reactions: RMS001 and BigAl07
I have a 107 and actually I got it just to familiarize myself with the rules. Aside from learning that I really should just never ever fly my drone as I see violations everywhere and not just mine, I think it's a good thing to have. I got mine using the 107 for dummys as a licenced pilot but yes Airspace is hard and so are all the other things one has to learn. I'm still flight instructing and I know ....truely know how much effort and time is envolved learn this stuff. My big congratulations to all who have done it from scratch.!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78