DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this a dolly effect? Mavic mini

I believe a "dolly effect" is the movement parallel of the camera in relation to the "target" in the shot. As in the camera is on a "dolly (like a piano dolly). and is moved on rails parallel to the target's motion.
Your first shot I think is called a "pull-back"......

I believe a "dolly effect" is the movement parallel of the camera in relation to the "target" in the shot. As in the camera is on a "dolly (like a piano dolly). and is moved on rails parallel to the target's motion.
Your first shot I think is called a "pull-back"......
my thinking on my first shot is while looking at the clouds. Thanks

Here’s what a dolly zoom should look like. The scale of the central target remains constant while the field of view on the sides “moves” in scale.
Here is a brief (although not the best) example. Watch the bush in the center relative to the trees in the background:

Also, this video has two examples of dolly shots:

Reactions: pelagic_one
Your first first move is called a “reverse fly through” since you went through the trees without changing camera tilt. The move to look up at the clouds is called a reveal. Usually you reveal the subject and not the background but the move is the same you’ve just done it backwards. I’ll dub it the “conceal.”

Those are drone specific types of shots. Traditionally this would be called a “tracking shot with “dolly-out” or “push out.” A tracking shot because of the long camera movement distance and the fact that it is to show the scenery but further qualified by the dolly-out movement because a tracking shot can be lateral movement too. Just saying dolly out doesn’t quite qualify the distance covered by the camera In my opinion. The move to tilt quickly up at the sky and then back to the houses is called a whip tilt.

The last move is a classic tracking shot.

I think most people are confusing a dolly shot which doesn’t involve zoom with a dolly-zoom or zolly which uses the combination of dolly and zoom to create a vertigo effect.

Your first first move is called a “reverse fly through” since you went through the trees without changing camera tilt. The move to look up at the clouds is called a reveal. Usually you reveal the subject and not the background but the move is the same you’ve just done it backwards. I’ll dub it the “conceal.”

Those are drone specific types of shots. Traditionally this would be called a “tracking shot with “dolly-out” or “push out.” A tracking shot because of the long camera movement distance and the fact that it is to show the scenery but further qualified by the dolly-out movement because a tracking shot can be lateral movement too. Just saying dolly out doesn’t quite qualify the distance covered by the camera In my opinion. The move to tilt quickly up at the sky and then back to the houses is called a whip tilt.

The last move is a classic tracking shot.

I think most people are confusing a dolly shot which doesn’t involve zoom with a dolly-zoom or zolly which uses the combination of dolly and zoom to create a vertigo effect.
Thats why i really love this forum, i learn a lot from you guys. Bravo bravo bravo. ?⚽️?

It is possible to carry out a dolly zoom, with a drone that has a fixed focal length lens. The below is my attempt using the M2P. (Ignore the stupid music)

The zooming in or out part, is simply done in post production. If you are filming in 4K, then you should have enough pixels to play with to do this in post.

I've been in video production for several decades. Here's my take on this. A Dolly shot is most often moving left-to-right or right-to-left. Dolly move can be in or out as well. Most dolly moves, regardless of direction are done slowly. Moves up and down, also done slowly over a limited height are called Boom or Jib up and down because the camera is usually on the long arm called a jib or boom (or Camera Crane is it's really a big arm). The YouTube link is to a shot I did simulating a Jib down move in a school. I used our Mavic 2 Pro.

Here's a site with some definitions. I think the Mavic 2 Zoom kind of popularized the dollyZOOM which is a specialized dolly shot.

I too have been in the pro video business all my adult life.

A "dolly" shot is towards or away from the subject, like on track. Easily accomplished with a UAS.

A "truck" shot is moving left to right of the subject, like on a track, sometimes to match movement. Easily accomplished with a UAS.

A "dolly zoom" is the combination of zoom and moving towards or away from the subject.

"Pedestal" is moving the camera straight up and down, while a "jib" allows the pedestal move with a camera tilt to keep framing.

Reactions: ff22 and lowellton
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wild86