DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this a good idea?

I presume you are thinking that the hood attaches, DSLR/Phantom 3 like, to the actual lens. If that were the case I would definitely agree with you......but the average 'Mavic' xyz "lens hood" that I have seen is a drone-body-mounted thing and does not touch the gimbal or camera.

Though with the mavics with swivelable/yawable gimbals they do significantly reduce the useful range through which the gimbal can be turned, the hood comes into shot.
At 90deg gimbal yaw the only thing I can see with my M2P is the inside of the hood

Why would you want to photograph through a cheap plastic window when you paid all of that money for a good camera/sensor?
I am not really interested in taking 'world class' pictures. I want to see where some of the animals around are going when they pass the house, generally each group has their own paths. The same groups of deer sleep in different areas around the house then move off to another place. Always the same deer. There are also turkeys, foxes, racoons, possums, and wild dogs in packs. Another thing to do is fly the drone down the driveway after storms of all kinds so I can see if there is a tree down blocking the driveway. It is 900 feet long, very steep, and even in winter I can't see more than 250 feet down it. If I need to take a chainsaw down the drive, I want to know it before I drive down there, get stuck, and have to walk all the way back up the hill. At my age (72) that could be my final stroke. No, backing up the driveway is not seriously an option. I also want to keep track of a 'crackhead' camping out in the woods close by.

I have a Mavic Air 2 and have had an idea about protecting the camera/gimbal if (when) the drone crashes. It comes with a plastic 'bubble' that should be on when not flying. That doesn't help if you go flying and go head first into a tree or anything else. Does anybody make a plastic bubble that fits the same as the original piece but is expanded on all sides so it can be left on when flying but has room for the gimbal to move normally? Is this even a good idea?
I would be concerned about how any 'shield' would limit airflow. In the early days of the Mavic Pro there were people who intentionally left the cover on ( it wasn't there to limit the movement, only to provide a 'bubble' and would still function - though photos were awful!). Anyhow we 'learned' that some of the cooling came from airflow around the gimbal. I have no idea if this is the same for the MA 2, but would rather someone else test it out on a long flight :)

I would be concerned about how any 'shield' would limit airflow. In the early days of the Mavic Pro there were people who intentionally left the cover on ( it wasn't there to limit the movement, only to provide a 'bubble' and would still function - though photos were awful!). Anyhow we 'learned' that some of the cooling came from airflow around the gimbal. I have no idea if this is the same for the MA 2, but would rather someone else test it out on a long flight :)
A good example of not thinking through the problem. I never thought about air flow.

Reactions: s2seyecle
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada