DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this a good idea?

Crash-a-lot

Reactions
I have a Mavic Air 2 and have had an idea about protecting the camera/gimbal if (when) the drone crashes. It comes with a plastic 'bubble' that should be on when not flying. That doesn't help if you go flying and go head first into a tree or anything else. Does anybody make a plastic bubble that fits the same as the original piece but is expanded on all sides so it can be left on when flying but has room for the gimbal to move normally? Is this even a good idea?

I have a Mavic Air 2 and have had an idea about protecting the camera/gimbal if (when) the drone crashes. It comes with a plastic 'bubble' that should be on when not flying. That doesn't help if you go flying and go head first into a tree or anything else. Does anybody make a plastic bubble that fits the same as the original piece but is expanded on all sides so it can be left on when flying but has room for the gimbal to move normally? Is this even a good idea?
They (DJI) made such a gimbal guard for the Mavic Pro. It wasn't pure optical quality but could be left on during flight. So sorry (Didn't want to burst your bubble:p) not something that hasn't been attempted and all in all there is nothing that is going to save your gimbal if you have enough g force on impact, the gimbal doesn't need a direct hit to to be ripped from it's mount and destroyed. That goes for the above gimbal shrouds/hoods...minimal protection from bad storage/landings at best.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crash-a-lot
That doesn't help if you go flying and go head first into a tree or anything else.
A much better idea is to keep your drone away from trees and other obstacles.
Really .. if there's nothing to hit it's very hard to get into trouble.

I live in a small forest. The only way to positively avoid trees is to only fly straight up. Since I am new to drones, I am trying to take all the precautions I can.

But makes for interesting videos if you can keep from hitting anything. When I fly in wooded areas I use tripod mode and walk behind it ?

@Crash-a-lot the camera and gimbal are probably the parts of a drone ,that are the most delicate, ,and because of this they will not take very much to damage ,the only way to prolong the life of them, is to fly with caution ,and be aware of where the drone is in relation to its surroundings

I have a guard on mine and it does not get in the way of the camera.
I never take it off and the Gimbal travels well without putting the bubble back on.

IMG_0023.JPG

I live in a small forest. The only way to positively avoid trees is to only fly straight up. Since I am new to drones, I am trying to take all the precautions I can.
Not necessarily the case... you don't always have to go over... And I'm pretty new to drones as well. Just go slow, and dirckclod mentioned above, use Tripod (or cinesmooth depending on what they call it on your done) and follow it through the woods till you get comfortale.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
But what fun is that?? ;-)

Why would you want to photograph through a cheap plastic window when you paid all of that money for a good camera/sensor?

Almost anything covering the camera could result in image/video distortion.

Reactions: Dbez1
Some have been made fir the Mavic but it had some glare good idea but cam must be away from sun

Almost anything covering the camera could result in image/video distortion.
I agree. For the best resolution, put nothing on the lens. Having said that, if you buy a good filter, it may be worth it in some circumstances.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78