DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this a predominantly male hobby?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
There are lots of threads about this here. This is one of the recent ones:

@PhiliusFoggg ,i think there are many female drone fliers out there,whom for whatever reason do not come on this forum,its no different to any sort of hobby ,thats not gender specific ,its probably a traditional thing ,that blokes tend to take part in certain hobbies,and females in others,but i think that the steriotyping that goes on in youngsters choice of toys ,when they are very young by their parents, is slowly being eroded away as society moves forwards

are you looking for a date?
I am
71.gif

Seems mainly a guy thing, but there are some ladies involved.

My sister conducted an experiment of 1 trial. She had a daughter, and wanted to balance her with both male and female toys. She was given fire trucks, cars, dolls and dresses etc. She picked overwhelmingly the “girly” toys, and rarely used the “boy” toys.

I offered to buy my wife her own drone if she’d fly. She declined saying “it’s boring”. Same thing with my airgun hobby. ??‍♂️
I offered to buy my wife one as well, thankfully she said no thank you ?
I also do competition FT shooting here in the ?? and one of the top
shots in our club is a lady, she beats us blokes hands down every time. ?

Reactions: ATW and pelagic_one
My wife could fly really well if she put her mind to it, and shoot maybe better than me. She just chooses not to. The motivation isn’t there. “Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus” ?

My wife has a pilots license. Her only response was "really"? I believe she meant that in an sarcastic way. Just saying.

Reactions: ATW
Our demographics seem to be skewed toward more male participation, though it's also possible that female pilots are less (or more) likely to participate in online forums, so the ratio we see online might not be representative of who actually gets a drone in the air.

As for the reasons, it's probably a complex combination. All I'm sure of is that we should welcome all without judging based on gender.

• Love
Reactions: ATW and DoomMeister
I expect it's because women have better things to do with their time
mischief.gif

Probably, but I'm female and LOVE my drone. Will upgrade from Mini once I am more confident. Too cold this winter to fly but I'll be back out in the Spring.
I offered to buy my wife her own drone if she’d fly. She declined saying “it’s boring”. Same thing with my airgun hobby. ??‍♂️
It's only boring if you are watching and not controlling!

Probably, but I'm female and LOVE my drone. Will upgrade from Mini once I am more confident. Too cold this winter to fly but I'll be back out in the Spring.

It's only boring if you are watching and not controlling!
Welcome to the forum ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661