DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this a predominantly male hobby?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
Have you guys noticed how many car rims have been ruined, trash cans and mailboxes have been backed into by lady drivers? My wife does not read this forum of course.

Because old fogeys fly the prosumer drones. The younger guys fly FPV drones. Women don’t want to wear head gear that will leave marks on their faces.
I don't think women are wired to get the same thrill from fast moving things as guys are.
There are exceptions of course but by and large mostly it's a guy thing.
I find it incredibly satisfying that this is one of those rare activities that appeals to all age groups and ethnicities - as long as you have the money to fuel it ;)

Reactions: ATW
As a commercial I can only think of one or two lady commercial operators in my city and countless men, I suspect that the ratio for recreational pilots would be much the same.

That said, my wife and I have 2 natural children and we have fostered 4 more, I have taught all of them to operate and three out of the six went on to get a commercial certification 2 of the girls and one son so who knows, maybe the tide is turning?

Reactions: Hawkeye. and ATW
@PhiliusFoggg ,i think there are many female drone fliers out there,whom for whatever reason do not come on this forum,its no different to any sort of hobby ,thats not gender specific ,its probably a traditional thing ,that blokes tend to take part in certain hobbies,and females in others,but i think that the steriotyping that goes on in youngsters choice of toys ,when they are very young by their parents, is slowly being eroded away as society moves forwards
I got sort of roped in to the flying/operating, but I have to admit that it is quite a lot of fun for an old maid to have ...
And now I need to be the best and outperform the owner of the drone :cool:

Reactions: BigAl07 and ATW
I think men are fixated on devices itself, tweaking it, hacking, understanding how things work, why doesn't it work etc. Women on the other hand focus on experience itself, colors, opinions, emotions etc. Imho that's why there aren't many women on forums because mostly the topics are about hardware. Even when we post videos or photographs discusions are about technical aspects like exposure, noise, saturation and not how one feel looking at something.

I think men are fixated on devices itself, tweaking it, hacking, understanding how things work, why doesn't it work etc. Women on the other hand focus on experience itself, colors, opinions, emotions etc. Imho that's why there aren't many women on forums because mostly the topics are about hardware. Even when we post videos or photographs discusions are about technical aspects like exposure, noise, saturation and not how one feel looking at something.
Good point.

FWIW: Article about YouTube channels with female DRONE content:

I've been in this industry for 47 years now... WOW!! How is that even possible??

It has long been a male dominated industry/sport/hobby but it's def not exclusive. I've flown with some very talented females over the years and to be honest, in general terms, they were better/smoother pilots than the males.

One thing that has been a fairly constant over the years, the females didn't stay involved in the industry long-term. Sometimes only a year and sometimes a few years but I think that has changed now. There are some AMAZING female UAS operators out there who have now been in it for going on 5+ years and still building their brand/rep day after day. I've got some great friends who are Nationally Recognized in the Commercial side of UAS and they are very active in promoting the industry and especially mentoring other females to help them excel in a male dominated industry.

Here are three that come to mind right away and the first one is a long-time friend of mine and what I call a Drone Rock-Star!!

Desiree Ekstein(Drone Diva)​

Maggie Schuster - FAA Drone Pilot and part of the “Talented 10” in Dallas! Ambassador for Women and Drones​

Emily Kaszton - Drone Expert & Educator

I highly suggest checking out their pages and give them a follow on Social Media. We can ALL learn from these talented and driven women.

I've been in this industry for 47 years now... WOW!! How is that even possible??

It has long been a male dominated industry/sport/hobby but it's def not exclusive. I've flown with some very talented females over the years and to be honest, in general terms, they were better/smoother pilots than the males.

One thing that has been a fairly constant over the years, the females didn't stay involved in the industry long-term. Sometimes only a year and sometimes a few years but I think that has changed now. There are some AMAZING female UAS operators out there who have now been in it for going on 5+ years and still building their brand/rep day after day. I've got some great friends who are Nationally Recognized in the Commercial side of UAS and they are very active in promoting the industry and especially mentoring other females to help them excel in a male dominated industry.

Here are three that come to mind right away and the first one is a long-time friend of mine and what I call a Drone Rock-Star!!

Desiree Ekstein(Drone Diva)​

Maggie Schuster - FAA Drone Pilot and part of the “Talented 10” in Dallas! Ambassador for Women and Drones​

Emily Kaszton - Drone Expert & Educator

I highly suggest checking out their pages and give them a follow on Social Media. We can ALL learn from these talented and driven women.
Thank you so much! I am inspired by great people like you. I have leaned on you many times over the years and I really do appreciate everything you do for me and in the industry. ;)

Thank you so much! I am inspired by great people like you. I have leaned on you many times over the years and I really do appreciate everything you do for me and in the industry. ;)
It's a pleasure to mention you and call you a friend. I enjoy watching your videos and seeing how MUCH you give back to the UAS community. Oh and WELCOME to the forum!!

Allen

How we were raised makes a difference.
Grew up around machinery, semi trucks, dirt bikes, atvs, and so malls bore me. My car has a manual transmission, can drive a semi truck, run a bulldozer and 4 other types of heavy equipment. Have over 400 passes in my dad's race car down a 1/4 mile track and hold a race license, playing in the mud on my atv makes me smile, as does shop time with my pa covered in grease. Was watching a guy fly his drone, asked him a few questions, when he brought it in and landed his Mini in front of where we were standing beside a river. After putting in a fresh battery, handed me the controller, gave me instructions, and for the next 20 minutes I got to fly it. That was it, had to have my own, ordered myself a Mini that same day. That gentleman and I sometimes go flying together, he was a good mentor, because I knew 0 about drones before that day. Finding this forum has been a game changer these past 24 hours. Depth of knowledge on here is overwhelming for a rookie such as myself. When i decided to upgrade both drone, and controller, and would like to add goggles for viewing, all I knew was what i saw in a local store, a 2 zoom. Didn't know a smart controller existed, or the vast variety of drones available. Other than my new friend, that gentleman who let me experience flying his Mini, I haven't hung around drone people. Discovered by accident that flying over a lake low will cause it to crash, my first Mini was 2 weeks old, crashed, sank, and I ordered another Mini to replace it. Now i remain at least 20' above water, not 5'. Thanks for helping me learn, all of you, men and women.

How we were raised makes a difference.
Grew up around machinery, semi trucks, dirt bikes, atvs, and so malls bore me. My car has a manual transmission, can drive a semi truck, run a bulldozer and 4 other types of heavy equipment. Have over 400 passes in my dad's race car down a 1/4 mile track and hold a race license, playing in the mud on my atv makes me smile, as does shop time with my pa covered in grease. Was watching a guy fly his drone, asked him a few questions, when he brought it in and landed his Mini in front of where we were standing beside a river. After putting in a fresh battery, handed me the controller, gave me instructions, and for the next 20 minutes I got to fly it. That was it, had to have my own, ordered myself a Mini that same day. That gentleman and I sometimes go flying together, he was a good mentor, because I knew 0 about drones before that day. Finding this forum has been a game changer these past 24 hours. Depth of knowledge on here is overwhelming for a rookie such as myself. When i decided to upgrade both drone, and controller, and would like to add goggles for viewing, all I knew was what i saw in a local store, a 2 zoom. Didn't know a smart controller existed, or the vast variety of drones available. Other than my new friend, that gentleman who let me experience flying his Mini, I haven't hung around drone people. Discovered by accident that flying over a lake low will cause it to crash, my first Mini was 2 weeks old, crashed, sank, and I ordered another Mini to replace it. Now i remain at least 20' above water, not 5'. Thanks for helping me learn, all of you, men and women.
Still, it does not matter who is what gender, and even age. The drone is interesting to everyone, both for professional purposes and for entertainment.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead