DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this leagal?

Under FAR Part 107, could a non FAA certified person operate the drone if they are under direct supervision of a Part 107 certified pilot?
Yes ,

Interested- What about children?
I'm assuming you mean can a child be at the controls? Interesting question and I don't believe there is any criteria listed in the Part 107 regulations for the minimum age of the person you are supervising. In order to be part 107 certificated you must be at least 16 years of age. However, someone at the controls under direct supervision of a Part 107 pilot could be younger since I don't see any guidelines there.

Yes ,

I'm assuming you mean can a child be at the controls? Interesting question and I don't believe there is any criteria listed in the Part 107 regulations for the minimum age of the person you are supervising. In order to be part 107 certificated you must be at least 16 years of age. However, someone at the controls under direct supervision of a Part 107 pilot could be younger since I don't see any guidelines there.
In my case (the original post) I would like to have other company personnel (older than 16) operate the drone under part 107 while I directly supervise. Lets assume for now I am Part 107 certified.

§107.12 Requirement for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.​

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may manipulate the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system unless:

(1) That person has a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating issued pursuant to subpart C of this part and satisfies the requirements of §107.65; or

(2) That person is under the direct supervision of a remote pilot in command and the remote pilot in command has the ability to immediately take direct control of the flight of the small unmanned aircraft.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may act as a remote pilot in command unless that person has a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating issued pursuant to Subpart C of this part and satisfies the requirements of §107.65.

(c) The Administrator may, consistent with international standards, authorize an airman to operate a civil foreign-registered small unmanned aircraft without an FAA-issued remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.

Reactions: dawgpilot

§107.12 Requirement for a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.​

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may manipulate the flight controls of a small unmanned aircraft system unless:

(1) That person has a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating issued pursuant to subpart C of this part and satisfies the requirements of §107.65; or

(2) That person is under the direct supervision of a remote pilot in command and the remote pilot in command has the ability to immediately take direct control of the flight of the small unmanned aircraft.

(b) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may act as a remote pilot in command unless that person has a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating issued pursuant to Subpart C of this part and satisfies the requirements of §107.65.

(c) The Administrator may, consistent with international standards, authorize an airman to operate a civil foreign-registered small unmanned aircraft without an FAA-issued remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating.
Hmm..sounds like it is a possibility according to the highlighted section (2). Interesting!

Hmm..sounds like it is a possibility according to the highlighted section (2). Interesting!
Thus why I already answered your question with YES

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki