DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this normal? Air 2 batteries

BobbyLashley

Reactions
Three Air 2 batteries used both in a new Air 2 and new Air 2S. These batteries have less than 10 charge cycles each battery. I notice after using it, the batteries can remain hot after I put them back in my case with the drone. Its happened a few times now where I have the batteries and drone all packed up in its case and zipped up. And say a week later, I go to charge the batteries in preparing for usage the next day and the batteries and quite warm-semi hot to the touch. Feels like I just used the batteries even though they've been sitting unused in a case for a week. Whats causing this? Do these batteries need to be kept outside so it gets air circulation? Im worried that my batteries are defective.

I highly suggest re-reading your manual before proceeding further.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but you are asking a very basic question that has been asked over and over.

It is answered in the manual, and reading it will promote safer, informed flying.

Reactions: hiflyer201 and slup
Three Air 2 batteries used both in a new Air 2 and new Air 2S. These batteries have less than 10 charge cycles each battery. I notice after using it, the batteries can remain hot after I put them back in my case with the drone. Its happened a few times now where I have the batteries and drone all packed up in its case and zipped up. And say a week later, I go to charge the batteries in preparing for usage the next day and the batteries and quite warm-semi hot to the touch. Feels like I just used the batteries even though they've been sitting unused in a case for a week. Whats causing this? Do these batteries need to be kept outside so it gets air circulation? Im worried that my batteries are defective.
your batteries self discharge to make sure they don't degrade themselves inappropriately (only reason im ok with how expensive they are).

Not sure exactly how hot they get during auto discharge, but if it bothers you then maybe leave them somewhere safe out of the flight bag between flight days.
After all you will be charging them again before going out again to fly.

I leave mine in my drone backpack partitions (quite restricted) even if 100% after a days outing.
They discharge automatically and have never really has a chance to feel them during that process, but no issues since 2017.

edit typo

Last edited:
Leave your batteries at 50-60% when you aren't going to be using them for a few days and they won't need to discharge, thus you won't experience them heating up from that process. This is better for their long term health too.

your batteries self discharge to make sure they don't degrade themselves inappropriately (only reason im ok with how expensive they are).

Thanks. But this would explain why the batteries remain hot after being used and removed from the drone? If this is the case. then it sounds like it would be best to put them in a loose bag so they can cool for the week.

I think I forgot to mention one important thing. The batteries tend to stay warm-semi hot when I finish recharging them after using them. So I use the drone, use the batteries. put them back in the case. Seems fine. But then I charge them when I get home and after I take them off and put them in the case, this is when they get hot.

I think I forgot to mention one important thing. The batteries tend to stay warm-semi hot when I finish recharging them after using them. So I use the drone, use the batteries. put them back in the case. Seems fine. But then I charge them when I get home and after I take them off and put them in the case, this is when they get hot.

As someone else suggested, you really should read the instruction manual, as it describes exactly how the batteries function, including when the auto discharge function is triggered. This explains why you are experiencing them getting warm.

Reactions: BobbyLashley
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser