DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this normal? https://youtu.be/jj3g96ZuM8g

What are you wondering about?

That the props are visible when you pan the camera to the extreme left and right? That's normal?

The relative tilting of the props and struts in the video field of view? That's normal, too. You're looking through the camera which is mounted on the gimbal; the gimbal pitches up and down and rolls side to side to keep the camera level and the view constant. The drone has to tilt itself to hold position in space.

Or is there something else that I hadn't noticed?

Reactions: kidroc and pommy
What are you wondering about?

That the props are visible when you pan the camera to the extreme left and right? That's normal?

The relative tilting of the props and struts in the video field of view? That's normal, too. You're looking through the camera which is mounted on the gimbal; the gimbal pitches up and down and rolls side to side to keep the camera level and the view constant. The drone has to tilt itself to hold position in space.

Or is there something else that I hadn't noticed?
Thanks, the drone body is pitching forwards and back in what should be level flight, I know it pitches forward by design when full stick is up, but it does a front to back pitching motion and speed drops from 33mph to 15mph when this pitching happens. Should mention, open countryside and wind less than 10mph. I know the way the gimbal works, and I have a Mini 2 also. Flying the same area within a few minutes of each other. the Mini 2 just pitches forward on full right stick, no pitching like in the Air 2S.

Thanks, the drone body is pitching forwards and back in what should be level flight, I know it pitches forward by design when full stick is up, but it does a front to back pitching motion and speed drops from 33mph to 15mph when this pitching happens. Should mention, open countryside and wind less than 10mph. I know the way the gimbal works, and I have a Mini 2 also. Flying the same area within a few minutes of each other. the Mini 2 just pitches forward on full right stick, no pitching like in the Air 2S.

Yes, that sounds like something definitely out of the ordinary, with that speed change.

There are some folks on this forum who are very talented in interpreting flight logs, and they seem to be very generous with their time. You might try posting the flight logs and asking for some interpretation. I'd guess that would reveal a lot about what's going on.

Reactions: ligo and Mtnrider
Yup, not normal at all ...You can also see the movement in the "attitude indicator" on the far lower left,also. The horizon line is confirming that crazy movement....Unless you were in some sort of crazy turbulence at 100m that is not good...You don't have any lights, trackers, or add-on cameras that would affect the flight by any chance? Double-check the props and arm mounting/pivots and maybe re-calibrate the controller. As mentioned above, the logs will show if anything else is weird.

You mention a front to back pitch and the drone slows. Is that from a full right stick forward to neutral or down? If not, then yes - something is amiss for sure. If the drone is "braking" by releasing the right stick back to neutral or full down - the front will pitch up if I'm understand you correctly, as you did not mention if the front pitched up or down during the deceleration.

Log files may show what is going on and believe it or not - sometimes our hands are doing things with the sticks that our mind is not totally cognizant of - see it quite a bit here - when there is a post and what they say they were doing is not what the log files show.

Reactions: ligo
Welcome to the forum

You mention a front to back pitch and the drone slows. Is that from a full right stick forward to neutral or down? If not, then yes - something is amiss for sure. If the drone is "braking" by releasing the right stick back to neutral or full down - the front will pitch up if I'm understand you correctly, as you did not mention if the front pitched up or down during the deceleration.

Log files may show what is going on and believe it or not - sometimes our hands are doing things with the sticks that our mind is not totally cognizant of - see it quite a bit here - when there is a post and what they say they were doing is not what the log files show.

I am not sure how to upload logs, but happy to so if told the best way. The pitching was in flat out flight, right stick full forward. No braking or slowing down. It has happened again since that flight, there is so much that happens, hard to explain it all. App freezes, distance and Compass heading and also height fail to update during flight, and also video lag.

Yes, that sounds like something definitely out of the ordinary, with that speed change.

There are some folks on this forum who are very talented in interpreting flight logs, and they seem to be very generous with their time. You might try posting the flight logs and asking for some interpretation. I'd guess that would reveal a lot about what's going on.
Thanks, just need to know which logs and how to upload them.

Thanks, just need to know which logs and how to upload them.

Here's the definitive information on that, from forum member sar`104.

This has most likely to do with that you're flying straight into the sun ... the OD sensors see the bright sun as an obstacle & break for it, this phenomenon have been seen in several cases before.

Start up by going here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help & upload your mobile device .TXT log (it's in your phone or tablet you flew with...). A bit down on that page you have an instruction over where to find it.

When uploaded you will be provided with a link ... take that & come back here and share it in a new post.

It's super-easy to replicate this on ANY Air 2S and it's by design.

Hold your finger on the screen until the bars appear, then you have FULL UNLIMITED control of the gimbal - ALL angles.

(You're not supposed to be moving the gimbal this far while flying I think)

It's not a fault :)

You don't mention that you are moving the gimbal with your finger on the screen? That's the issue here. It's like you are trying to control the drone with the gimbal.

If the drone isn't moving, you can replicate this, and if it's windy - you will see the same thing.

Looks like you're flying one way and forcing the gimbal in the other direction at points.

Also, the drone is bobbing up and down at 100m high with wind - it's banked to the right constantly.

I'm thinking you have the extended upward gimbal movement switched on too as you can see too much sky 0:39 onwards...

(I won't mention VLOS - oops!)

Last edited:
...It's not a fault :)

You don't mention that you are moving the gimbal with your finger on the screen? That's the issue here...

Think you have misunderstood the OP's... perhaps vague question.

It's been common knowledge for quite a while that the Air2 family can yaw the camera alone ... what's odd in the clip though, is the rhythmic shift of the crafts pitch. A pitch movement that seems to go over to the positive side (breaking) ... which also makes the heading speed change equal rhythmic. Wind usually doesn't give effects like this ... but flying directly into the sun on the other hand have in numerous cases proven to give effects like this.

Think you have misunderstood the OP's... perhaps vague question.

It's been common knowledge for quite a while that the Air2 family can yaw the camera alone ... what's odd in the clip though, is the rhythmic shift of the crafts pitch. A pitch movement that seems to go over to the positive side (breaking) ... which also makes the heading speed change equal rhythmic. Wind usually doesn't give effects like this ... but flying directly into the sun on the other hand have in numerous cases proven to give effects like this.
Interesting. Thanks. I was focussing on the visibility of the legs/props and why the gimbal was being used in-flight like that ??

All I see is a drone trying to walk.

I'll see myself out.

I think it's because you're heading into the sun.
Some time ago (before our current Covid lockdown) I was trying out the Tap Fly on my M2P, flying away from the sun it worked as expected. I then tried it heading back toward me - which was roughly toward the sun - and as soon as I activated the Tap Fly, the drone just started see-sawing backward and forward rapidly and jerkily (almost violently), similar to the motion above but much faster, and refusing to move forward. It looked as if it was attempting to go forward but was being stopped by some unseen force - it was quite weird to watch and I was a bit concerned that I'd somehow "broken it".
Flying normally was no problem, even in the same direction... it would move forward smoothly as expected, but as soon as I tried Tap Fly again in the same direction, it did the same thing. I haven't yet tried to examine the flight data, (I hadn't learnt how to do that at the time of the flight but might go back and look at it) but all other flying was normal. The only factor I could attribute it to at the time was that it was being affected by the sun which was low in the sky and falling on the front sensors. All I can think of is that the sun shining on the sensors makes it react as if there is an obstacle there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh