DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Issue transferring MOV files to iOS from M2P / Osmo Action

Dakrisht

Reactions
Having an issue sending files from my new Osmo Action and *some* files from my M2P from a laptop (MBPro) > via AirDrop > iOS device.

I know this is the Mavic 2 forum but since the issue also occurs on the Mavic (50% of the time) and 100% of the time on the Osmo, perhaps some video gurus can help.

- The Osmo Action is shooting Quicktime (.MOV) files and encoding using H.264.

When sending the files from my MBPro > iPhone 8 Plus I get an error:

AirDrop - Failed to save item. Save to iCloud drive instead?

The issue is obviously with the file and I'm trying to figure out what in the file is causing this to happen. MOV and H264/H265 are fully supported by iOS.

Some insight would be great, I can upload a small cut of the file (20-30MB for analysis) as the normal files are 1GB+

My workflow has always been to AirDrop MOV files from my MacBook > iOS to edit in Lumafusion. Not sure if there is a better way to transfer files to iOS - open to suggestions.

Could the file-name cause a problem? Try to rename the file in "date_01.mov" and then transfer.

Could the file-name cause a problem? Try to rename the file in "date_01.mov" and then transfer.

Nothing here. Tried renaming, even opening in Quicktime > Trimming > saving new trimmed file under a different filename.

Here's where it get weird.

- I have 10x videos shot last week that all transfer perfectly fine using AirDrop
- None of the videos I shot today transfer at all no matter I do

The kicker: both video files are the exact same codec, file type, container, etc. It's wild. Makes no sense.

Screenshot showing Inspector info on both files. One transfers, the other doesn't.

It's also not size-related, I reduced the size to the non-working files to 100MB by trimming - nothing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 2.09.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 2.09.59 AM.png
    455.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 2.09.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 2.09.46 AM.png
    389.3 KB · Views: 6
After a ton of research and experimentation it seems that this is most likely a DJI issue or an iOS issue. But it’s not an iPhone hardware issue.

iPhone simply cannot accept a 4K/60p file but accepts a 4K/30p file just fine.

It is not a limitation of iOS or the iPhone hardware (iPhone 8 Plus and above have full support for 4K/60p video). iPhone 8 and above also are able to record natively in 4K/60p using HEVC H.265 or H.264.

It seems the file coming from the OSMO or probably a P4P also - recording in 4K/60p - is not being accepted by iOS. Why - I have no idea.

Doesn’t really make much sense.

Current workflow is to add files to iCloud Drive > import using LumaFusion - they play just fine in the LukaFusion app and also play just fine when exported from LumaFusion using the same source settings (H.265/HEVC and 4K/60p).

Dak: The reason you are having such smooth operation with Lumafusion is because it strips off 2 bits from the 10-bit footage so you're really only editing an 8-bit file. It's those last 2 bits of data that increase the color depth from 16 million colors to a billion. And it's this color depth that causes even fairly new computers to struggle.

Dak: The reason you are having such smooth operation with Lumafusion is because it strips off 2 bits from the 10-bit footage so you're really only editing an 8-bit file. It's those last 2 bits of data that increase the color depth from 16 million colors to a billion. And it's this color depth that causes even fairly new computers to struggle.

Sure this is true, Luna doesn’t support 10-bit color. But the OSMO doesn’t record in 10-bit color.

And this thread is mainly about not being to AirDrop/Open/Import 4K/60p footage into an iPhone / iPad ?

Welcome to the Apple nonsense of arbitrary restrictions for no reason, that don't get updated when they should be :( Common with video formats with them.

Welcome to the Apple nonsense of arbitrary restrictions for no reason, that don't get updated when they should be :( Common with video formats with them.

Totally idiotic behavior on behalf of Apple although I suspect DJI might have something to do with this.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer