DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Issues Mounting

Don Coffey

Reactions
Dear All,

I have had the Air for a couple of months now but only used it a few times. On the whole I have been very pleased with the drone and know its only been limited by my inexperience. I did however, notice a few issues that I wasn’t sure whether or not these were normal.

Firstly was the need to calibrate the compass every time I switched on the drone. Difficult to get Smart Capture to see my Palm and start or land and shutdown. Once it did recognise my palm it worked very well. I was also surprised at how much the batteries discharge over a couple of weeks sitting unused. I have experienced a 40-60% drop in charge after two weeks.

After seeing a topic on here about others needing to calibrate there compass every time and saying this is not right, I contacted DJI. They have responded by saying the batteries will discharge (although due to language barrier I’m not sure they fully understand what I’m saying) and for security reasons, the unit will need to be calibrated every time and this is normal. I’m a little confused as the thread lead me to believe that it shouldn’t need calibrated every time.

Yesterday, I tried to use Smart Capture again but with no joy and later on tried to connect to my phone without controller to be greeted with a message telling me my chip was critically overheated and the unit needed to cool down (it was cold as it hadn’t been used). I contacted DJI who asked me to calibrate the IMU and Gimbal but this failed with the chip overheated message again. I’ve email DJI again and suspect they will get the unit collected to allow for repair.

Can any of the more experienced guys confirm whether or not a unit should need calibrated every time it is used and if the discharge rate when not in use seems normal?

Many thanks in advance.

The batteries will automatically discharge to below 65% after 10 days (page 28 of the manual). I do not have an Air so cannot answer the rest of your questions.

Reactions: Don Coffey
Thanks Mossiback.

I’m not really one for reading to much of the manual .

Maybe I’m wrong here but given I’m not a regular user, probably more practical for me to only charge the night before I intend to use the drone.

...Maybe I’m wrong here but given I’m not a regular user, probably more practical for me to only charge the night before I intend to use the drone.
Whatever works for you. The discharge time period (10 days) is adjustable in Go 4. Some set it to only 1 or 2 days as they prefer to not store fully charged batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d