DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Issues with home position setting - Option not there

BBFlyBB

Reactions
I am new to drone flying and have only been doing it for 4 days. So far my flights have been limited as I get used to how to fly it. I was flying yesterday and I get more confident my flights range is growing. When the drone took off the controller sounded "Home Position Stored" so off I went for a whole 1,000 feet and chickened out and decided to bring the drone home. I went the hit the return to home button and I only had one option on the screen and that was to land. I managed to get the drone home via the screen and the map. I checked all my settings and all was good. I decided to give it another go, so I pressed the drone take off button and the controller declared "Home Position Stored". So I just sent the drone straight up to 350 feet, and selected the icon on the screen to open the land or return to home pop up. Again the only option was "Land Drone". I rebooted the I phone 11 the drone and the controller.

Doe anyone know what would cause this, and how to fi it.

I am new to drone flying and have only been doing it for 4 days. So far my flights have been limited as I get used to how to fly it. I was flying yesterday and I get more confident my flights range is growing. When the drone took off the controller sounded "Home Position Stored" so off I went for a whole 1,000 feet and chickened out and decided to bring the drone home. I went the hit the return to home button and I only had one option on the screen and that was to land. I managed to get the drone home via the screen and the map. I checked all my settings and all was good. I decided to give it another go, so I pressed the drone take off button and the controller declared "Home Position Stored". So I just sent the drone straight up to 350 feet, and selected the icon on the screen to open the land or return to home pop up. Again the only option was "Land Drone". I rebooted the I phone 11 the drone and the controller.

Doe anyone know what would cause this, and how to fi it.
are you sure you’re pressing RTH? Long press on the RC, tap RTH on phone screen. Sounds like your selecting auto land

Reactions: dawgpilot
I have tried both pressing the RTH on the Controller and on the app, when the app opens up it shows both land and RTH about 50% of the time, and only land the rest of the time.
Try the RTH on the RC - long press until it beeps. But to be honest with you, you’re better off leaving RTH alone and learning to fly it back to you, it will build your confidence in your own ability to fly. Happy (and safe) flying!

If, in the second situation, you literally sent it straight up, then it was probably within 20 horizontal metres of the home point and, given its height, landing is the more or less the correct response.
As to the first situation I am another asking if you are pressing the correct button or the correct button correctly? Other than that situation one sounds strange.

I would suggest you do your experimentation flying especially with RTH's MUCH lower and nearer than h = 350' & d =1000' especially if there is the chance it is misbehaving. I would also suggest a screen recorder so that you can later, at your leisure, watch what you were actually doing to see if it is what you think you were doing.

If, in the second situation, you literally sent it straight up, then it was probably within 20 horizontal metres of the home point and, given its height, landing is the more or less the correct response.
As to the first situation I am another asking if you are pressing the correct button or the correct button correctly? Other than that situation one sounds strange.

I would suggest you do your experimentation flying especially with RTH's MUCH lower and nearer than h = 350' & d =1000' especially if there is the chance it is misbehaving. I would also suggest a screen recorder so that you can later, at your leisure, watch what you were actually doing to see if it is what you think you were doing.

Thanks for the response. This was great information, I like the idea of the screen recorder for sure and will take some test flights tomorrow.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Your response makes me wonder, have you read the manual?
They are not read once and grasp it all documents especially if you are new to flying drones. A paper copy might be handy for when you are out flying but I must admit the serch function with the pdf is very useful. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200511/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

Also have a look through DJI Fly App: User Guide for Mavic Mini / Mavic Air 2 - DJI Guides

The Manual has been updated a few times since v1.0. The most recent version is here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200615/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf

Your response makes me wonder, have you read the manual?
They are not read once and grasp it all documents especially if you are new to flying drones. A paper copy might be handy for when you are out flying but I must admit the serch function with the pdf is very useful. https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200511/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

Also have a look through DJI Fly App: User Guide for Mavic Mini / Mavic Air 2 - DJI Guides
I did read the manual a couple of times, before trying to fly the drone, and I watched the videos and carried out the beginner training. I will go over the manual again. Thanks for the guidance.

I did read the manual a couple of times, before trying to fly the drone, and I watched the videos and carried out the beginner training. I will go over the manual again. Thanks for the guidance.
'
I read the instructions again and did the training flight 3 times, no problems. I note each step on a sheet of paper and then started a flight. I was at 255 feet up and 680 feet out. Pressed the button and it just beeped. The drone was just hovering. I selected the return home icon on the Iphone and only the land option was there. I flew it back and to about 100 feet up and out. I selected the return to home icon on the Iphone. the RTH option was back. I selected it and it landed just fine. I read found other post on the forum and it seems to be linked to Firmware??

I am going to refresh the firmware and see what I get. If that fails then I am off back to Best Buy to get a new one.

'
I read the instructions again and did the training flight 3 times, no problems. I note each step on a sheet of paper and then started a flight. I was at 255 feet up and 680 feet out. Pressed the button and it just beeped. The drone was just hovering. I selected the return home icon on the Iphone and only the land option was there. I flew it back and to about 100 feet up and out. I selected the return to home icon on the Iphone. the RTH option was back. I selected it and it landed just fine. I read found other post on the forum and it seems to be linked to Firmware??

I am going to refresh the firmware and see what I get. If that fails then I am off back to Best Buy to get a new one.

Did you just press the RTH button, or hold it down? A single tap on that button is "pause", not RTH.

I pressed the button for about 5 seconds with no result, I am going to re-flash the FW and calibrate everything and then give it another go. I am also finding others with the same issue on FB. They all seem to point towards FW or RFI.

Try either "flashing the firmware" OR "calibrating everything" but not both.
One step then test, otherwise if it is fixed after you have done both but without testing in between then it is always open to debate as to whether it was "this or that" that fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I flashed the firmware but got he same result. I did a cull calibration and that seems to have cleared things up. Thank you all for the help on this one.

Also remember if you're pressing return to home at just 350 ft above you it's just going to land even if you do it 50 ft away I think you have to be some distance away for it to actually turn around and come home I would just go out to 7 or 800 ft and then long press rth also before you fly make sure you have enough satellites before taking off

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf