DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s only a matter of time before they ban our hobby because of morons

It's not just drones - I am a helicopter pilot, and was coming into a smaller local airport, when I saw 8 or 10 kids and an equal number of adults playing soccer on the large circle with a 10 foot H painted on it (heli-pad), so I had to divert to land. When I went over to them, the parents went ballistic for me 'endangering' them all. Even when I told them that the airport, and the heli-pad was restricted and not appropriate for them to use, they yelled and screamed at me - saying that I should just go somewhere else with the helicopter! I asked the airport manager, and he went to tell them they couldn't be there, and they threatened him as well - so morons are found everywhere.
We are in the age of entitlement. I've had similar encounters with people letting their kids drive golf carts all over the public street. "it's no issue, they are just having fun, learning to drive, not hurting anyone, blah, blah". What will they say when an inexperienced teen comes around the corner and plows into their kids on that dumb golf cart - that is illegal on the public road?

True. Also, Phones have cameras on them. Anyone can pretend they are talking on the phone, but film anyone, even kids or people at the beach. Cell phones with cameras should be monitored for illegal filming. You need to get waivers to film people, cell phone users don't. All phones need registration numbers in case they are used illegally to film a neighbors yard, or private property or people, ETC. If I throw my phone in the air with the camera on does it become a drone? Just kidding. I just find it funny, no one cares when you film with your phone, but they freak if it's an actual video camera or drone.
were are you that you need to get wavers to film people. There is no such rule here in the US of A

Reactions: Meta4
were are you that you need to get wavers to film people. There is no such rule here in the US of A
You don't need one in the US for editorial photography (personal or news use) but you do for commercial use. Photography laws are not really logical, as a photographer, you own the photo. But, you can't sell or use it commercially without the persons consent who the image is of, as they retain the copyright to their "likeness".

I suppose as long as no one in the photo is identifiable, then no waiver needed, only if you can ascertain positive identification. Anyway, waivers would be for commercial use (which may include posting on social media, but it would be a long shot for the person in the photo to sue if it was just a selfie or family photo, not for sale or commercial use).

You don't need one in the US for editorial photography (personal or news use) but you do for commercial use. Photography laws are not really logical, as a photographer, you own the photo. But, you can't sell or use it commercially without the persons consent who the image is of, as they retain the copyright to their "likeness".

I suppose as long as no one in the photo is identifiable, then no waiver needed, only if you can ascertain positive identification. Anyway, waivers would be for commercial use (which may include posting on social media, but it would be a long shot for the person in the photo to sue if it was just a selfie or family photo, not for sale or commercial use).
Maybe...,

I'm confused, as those links are for the new rules, which say you do not need a waiver for flying over people in certain circumstances. Also, the waiver was about filming, not about flying, the FAA only regulates the flying, not filming of anything. I believe the original issue was the waivers required for filming and using the images. Not about flying/FAA waivers, which aren't needed anymore.

Where in those links does it say you need a waiver? Or say anything about filming? I truly want to understand if I am completely missing something, as I have already updated my certificate and am planning a night flight over people... (legal, no hovering or sustained flight over people, just transition from point A to point B, with prop guards, and a DoC filed with the FAA).

Reactions: Meta4
ME TOO. They think its fun and like watching me fly it. I fly over the ocean at a nearby beach. There's one part of the beach I have to stay 700 ft away from, because it's a bird sanctuary. I did have one person call the cops (not because i was near the sanctuary) from their condo balcony once over the past year. The cop knew it was a stupid complaint, but had to ask me to leave. The person that complained was a city board member. I was flying over the ocean, no where near their condo, but they still freaked out. People have no idea, that the cameras on consumer drones can't really see detail from far away. Some people think we can see as good as military drones I guess. I wish.
Completely agree with you, but must add that camera specs will significantly improve as time passes as that is also what the manufacturers have to evolve to outwit each others sales... maybe not so bad as we don't have to fly so close anymore for the same photo.

Reactions: Droniac
I’d rather see a ban on smart phones invading privacy. A lot more prevalent than drones and considerably more dangerous when wielded by morons that feel they can drive and talk/text.

You provided an example that I think helps explain how I see this. You'll never see a ban on smartphones because too many people use them even though people use them for nefarious or socially inappropriate things. It's much easier to be an activist against something you don't care about. As an example, diversity and inclusion is a popular topic right now, and it should be, but the irony is that a good portion of people screaming for inclusion really only care about being inclusive of people that share in their beliefs. Being inclusive would be to discuss how drone and non-drone users can coexist, and not treat all drone users as irresponsible people that are up to no good and need to be dealt with. The media and most of our government officials are not really for inclusion which is why our country continues to divide rather than unite.

Sorry to get all political, but this is how I see the state of things at the moment and I think drone users have the deck stacked against us because of the attitude I mentioned and drones not having widespread adoption like smartphones.

Reactions: Droniac
Two drones crashed into a high-rise here yesterday.... probably harmless...but people are calling for strict regulations

I personally have seen the huge increase of the moron-flying factor in the past 3-4 months
maybe it’s the lockdown, but it’s also the “take it out of the box and fly” marketing
“ no experience needed”

It’s easy to spot people learning to fly for the first few times. Instead of going to a clear park or field ( like they should)
A lot are flying in parks , over little kids soccer games , running paths, whatever...
Tons of crashes into trees and even sometimes playing fields

they see cool YouTube videos following bikers, runners
They charge up the first time and head out

I think this is going to be a huge problem and I think they’re going to clamp down hard

when I go to my favorite field....if there’s people, I go home and come back when it’s empty.... mostly early morning. I don’t want to disturb people, and I don’t want to lose my stuff

it really bugs me when really stupid people ruin things for the 99 percent of us who are safe and responsible
Common complaint here and completely justified! I haven’t seen any “any inappropriate flying” although if I did Id certainly make my opinion well known. I do fly close to home and purposefully as due to these dangerous pilot issues I’m a bit monastic when going for a fly. I don’t fly with clubs, although I was willing to fellowship with others who take to the air. They stated from fixed wing to octo’s. As it’s been my impression that you have to “know somebody” to join one in Commack area Long Island. I was .... ignored. Not certain of rationale. Give it a name. But I’m having a blast nonetheless. I totally understand. Godspeed

I used to run a Facebook group for dogs, every year we would campaign for the ban on the sale of fireworks to the general public. One year we had hundreds of thousands of signatures. but each year, the question would be raised and each year they came out with the same answer. "We believe that the laws and regulations in place are adequate. so if you ever get in trouble with the law, tell them it's not a quadcopter but an experimental rocket and you're trying to put a man on the moon.
A bit AndyKaufman-esque but I like it. Godspeed

Lack or responsible behaviour and consideration seems an increasing problem in all aspects of life these days Not just Drone flying.

But when you see this very site having a long running thread where half the posts are chest beating about illegal flights then there seems little hope of getting everyone to actually give a (Removed by moderator) let alone follow the law
Is this site actually affiliated to DJI?, if it is I'm completely gobsmacked

Last edited by a moderator:
Lack or responsible behaviour and consideration seems an increasing problem in all aspects of life these days Not just Drone flying.

But when you see this very site having a long running thread where half the posts are chest beating about illegal flights then there seems little hope of getting everyone to actually give a (Removed by moderator) let alone follow the law
Is this site actually affiliated to DJI?, if it is I'm completely gobsmacked
We are not affiliated with DJI. We are also not the drone police. There are members that don’t care what the laws are in their country and fly when, where, and how they please. Then there are the majority of members that are law abiding and respect the hobby/business of drone flight and use proper channels to effect change that benefits us all.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929