DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s only a matter of time before they ban our hobby because of morons

OMG. I feel your frustration. How ignorant do you have to be. I bet they thought the H was part of some sort of game field. Where was this? I thought most airports, even small public ones are fenced. Except, those "neighborhood" airport home runways with each home having it's own hanger. We have those in West Palm Beach Florida. Pretty cool idea. "honey, I'm just flying off to key west for a few hours, be right back."
I'm in the Phoenix, Az area (south of Phoenix), and yes, it does have fencing as well as homes with hangars, but apparently, one of the parents had let them out onto the field. Ironically, the airport did call the police, and they told the group that they had to leave, but they even raised heck with the police! Seems pretty self-entitled. I hope that the airport took some action on the person(s) that let them in, but I don't know - I just wanted to go home before I said or did something to the morons.

Reactions: ATW
In the Netherlands...THEY CAN!!!
In the USA, the FAA implies, by most of it's statements, that is very in favor of integrating UAVs/drones into USA airspace. So,, I doubt they will make rash overzealous decisions based on a few idiots. It's all about integration here in the USA. Once they do that, I'm sure they'll create some kind of revenue stream from us drone pilots. It's about the money.

@MikeyST1957
I personally have seen the huge increase of the moron-flying factor in the past 3-4 months

Perfect opportunity to step in and provide some on-scene helpful hints, corrective suggestions, or even make-believe self experiences. A friendly approach may really go a long way to assisting others in becoming a better/more responsible pilot.

Two drones crashed into a high-rise here yesterday.... probably harmless...but people are calling for strict regulations

I personally have seen the huge increase of the moron-flying factor in the past 3-4 months
maybe it’s the lockdown, but it’s also the “take it out of the box and fly” marketing
“ no experience needed”

It’s easy to spot people learning to fly for the first few times. Instead of going to a clear park or field ( like they should)
A lot are flying in parks , over little kids soccer games , running paths, whatever...
Tons of crashes into trees and even sometimes playing fields

they see cool YouTube videos following bikers, runners
They charge up the first time and head out

I think this is going to be a huge problem and I think they’re going to clamp down hard

when I go to my favorite field....if there’s people, I go home and come back when it’s empty.... mostly early morning. I don’t want to disturb people, and I don’t want to lose my stuff

it really bugs me when really stupid people ruin things for the 99 percent of us who are safe and responsible

OMG. I feel your frustration. How ignorant do you have to be. I bet they thought the H was part of some sort of game field. Where was this? I thought most airports, even small public ones are fenced. Except, those "neighborhood" airport home runways with each home having it's own hanger. We have those in West Palm Beach Florida. Pretty cool idea. "honey, I'm just flying off to key west for a few hours, be right back."
Just when you think you've heard it all...

Two drones crashed into a high-rise here yesterday.... probably harmless...but people are calling for strict regulations

maybe it’s the lockdown, but it’s also the “take it out of the box and fly” marketing
“ no experience needed”

It’s easy to spot people learning to fly for the first few times. Instead of going to a clear park or field ( like they should)
A lot are flying in parks , over little kids soccer games , running paths, whatever...

I think this is going to be a huge problem and I think they’re going to clamp down hard

when I go to my favorite field....if there’s people, I go home and come back when it’s empty.... mostly early morning. I don’t want to disturb people, and I don’t want to lose my stuff

it really bugs me when really stupid people ruin things for the 99 percent of us who are safe and responsible

I agree whole heartedly, one of the men I worked with years ago said , some one poops their pants and now the whole bunch of us must wear diapers

Can't? Or shouldn't? Legal and regulatory codes are filled with laws and rules that came about based on the actions of idiots.
Yep. In the USA, voters (regadless of intelligence or lack thereof) get to elect Congress, as well as state legislators and city officials, and then those same voters can complain to their elected representatives, who get to pass (almost) whatever laws they like. Sure, there are issues of jurisdiction and constitutionality, but basically, if enough people want to ban drones, and if that desire is strong enough, expect drones to eventually be banned.

Cars kill more people, certainly. But most people either drive or ride in cars, and the majority won't vote for leaders who campaign on a platform of taking away their cars.

Right now, the FAA has jurisdiction over airspace, but that's only because Congress has made it so. Congress could enact Federal laws that severely restrict drone flight nationwide. Or they could allow the states or local governments to make their own restrictions on flights below a certain limit, or they could give property owners the rights to airspace for hundreds of feet above their property. I'm not saying they would, but if enough people demanded they do so...

Drone flyers are a minority. If we get the majority against us strongly enough, we'll be reminded that the majority rules.

I hope we behave, and avoid giving the powers that be any reason to further restrict us.

Reactions: Niterunnr

“ no experience needed”

Wow. I have never seen anything like that here in Oslo, Norway or anywhere else in Norway. To the contrary I have seen overly nervous people doing super-safe flying sometimes :). I saw a teenager with a new MA2 at a gas station once and thought hmmm... but he had a parent with him, and barely lifted off the ground during the time I watched.

It's not just drones - I am a helicopter pilot, and was coming into a smaller local airport, when I saw 8 or 10 kids and an equal number of adults playing soccer on the large circle with a 10 foot H painted on it (heli-pad), so I had to divert to land. When I went over to them, the parents went ballistic for me 'endangering' them all. Even when I told them that the airport, and the heli-pad was restricted and not appropriate for them to use, they yelled and screamed at me - saying that I should just go somewhere else with the helicopter! I asked the airport manager, and he went to tell them they couldn't be there, and they threatened him as well - so morons are found everywhere.
The airport manager should have just said he was calling the police and say they were trespassing and walk a way. I bet they would have left real quick.

No one will ban drones. You can't base regulatory framework on the actions of idiots.
Well the legal law abiding gun owners of America would disagree, AR platform bans, the possibility of the re-instatement of the 1994AWB, draconian laws in NJ, Illinois, MA, NY, CY, NY, and other places.... knee jerk reaction laws based on the actions of sick individuals and idiots

There are a lot of morons driving around and I don’t see government banning cars on roads. There’ll probably just be more restrictions.

There are several reasosn why it is unlikely that drones won't get banned, but your analogy to cars is not a good one. Neither is the analogy to cell phones. There are FAR fewer drone pilots than people who drive cars, and FAR fewer drone pilots than cell phone users. Invasive or dangerously flown drones are highly visible and make an easy target for regulators because there are way more people who would support the tighter regulations than argue against them.

Reactions: RMS001 and Rich QR
I just don't see how a jet liner going around 300mph can see a drone so easily. I here these stories a lot. Did this happen next to an airport? 2000 feet is kinda low for an airliner. I guess so, you indicated they were taking off.

What makes you think it was a jet? Nanaimo is a small privately owned regional airport. The runway is fairly large, but I'd bet the majority of traffic is not via large jet airliners, and for all we know the drone had a strobe light on it.

Yesterday saw a YT movie about dronepilots in Canada. They're really screwed....
Would you mind expanding on your statement? Living and flying in Canada, I would like to know if I was screwed, then I will at least try and figure out if I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATW
It's not just drones - I am a helicopter pilot, and was coming into a smaller local airport, when I saw 8 or 10 kids and an equal number of adults playing soccer on the large circle with a 10 foot H painted on it (heli-pad), so I had to divert to land. When I went over to them, the parents went ballistic for me 'endangering' them all. Even when I told them that the airport, and the heli-pad was restricted and not appropriate for them to use, they yelled and screamed at me - saying that I should just go somewhere else with the helicopter! I asked the airport manager, and he went to tell them they couldn't be there, and they threatened him as well - so morons are found everywhere.

The downdraft might have tempered their enthusiasm to stick around and argue .... ? ????? ? ?

I doubt we will ever here of someone getting into trouble for flying out of VLOS. It's too hard to prove in a court of law. There is no evidence, except the word of witness or officer that may have seen it. They would have also have to know where you were in relation to the drone, If you were on a balcony, if it was your drone and have your vision tested, to see how far you can see. I doubt a cop or witness would even show up in a beyond VLOS case. The FAA would have the most difficult time validating the complaint as well.
cgmaxxed - can't prove it in court? WHAT? Ever heard of flight log files that we see here all the time, esp when a drone has crashed. They can use those logs to PROVE you were flying way outside of the VLOS.

I "personally" think VLOS is a load of crap. WHY? I live in rural and mountainous North Carolina and should I remain 100% in VLOS - I may as well sell my drones and pick another hobby. While there are occasional wide opens spaces to fly and remain 100% in VLOS - that is the exception - not the norm. So - for people like me and where we live - drones would be almost non-existent here. If I or you are sitting in a forest and we can find an opening in the tree canopy to fly out of - guess what - once you get up and out - VLOS is virtually not going to happen. That may be 75-100 ft high and 100-300 ft out.

I don't even think I'd want to send my drone 1-5 miles out - no matter if I'm on super flat land with zero obstructions and "could" actually see the drone that far out - which none of us can.

Want more proof that even in this forum there are some very inexperienced pilots (we all were at one time) - just read thru the posts. As OP stated - drones are not a unbox and fly immediately type of hobby. Yet, it happens way too often and we read about the RESULTS of that every single day here in this forum. It's only going to get worse as drones become far more popular and CHEAPER.

Too many states and the federal government already restrict most of us from flying - not the NFZ's / restricted areas due to manned aircraft /etc - but simply denying us access to parks and other public land which "WE "technically own like all those others who do get to use it for their purposes. We have those "morons / the ones the laws, safety, and sane flying don't mean anything to them type" to thank for that. They exist in everyday life - driving a 2 ton automobile, guns, etc - with zero regard to others. No way to FIX that!

• Love
Reactions: Drgnfli
cgmaxxed - can't prove it in court? WHAT? Ever heard of flight log files that we see here all the time, esp when a drone has crashed. They can use those logs to PROVE you were flying way outside of the VLOS.

I "personally" think VLOS is a load of crap. WHY? I live in rural and mountainous North Carolina and should I remain 100% in VLOS - I may as well sell my drones and pick another hobby. While there are occasional wide opens spaces to fly and remain 100% in VLOS - that is the exception - not the norm. So - for people like me and where we live - drones would be almost non-existent here. If I or you are sitting in a forest and we can find an opening in the tree canopy to fly out of - guess what - once you get up and out - VLOS is virtually not going to happen. That may be 75-100 ft high and 100-300 ft out.

I don't even think I'd want to send my drone 1-5 miles out - no matter if I'm on super flat land with zero obstructions and "could" actually see the drone that far out - which none of us can.

Want more proof that even in this forum there are some very inexperienced pilots (we all were at one time) - just read thru the posts. As OP stated - drones are not a unbox and fly immediately type of hobby. Yet, it happens way too often and we read about the RESULTS of that every single day here in this forum. It's only going to get worse as drones become far more popular and CHEAPER.

Too many states and the federal government already restrict most of us from flying - not the NFZ's / restricted areas due to manned aircraft /etc - but simply denying us access to parks and other public land which "WE "technically own like all those others who do get to use it for their purposes. We have those "morons / the ones the laws, safety, and sane flying don't mean anything to them type" to thank for that. They exist in everyday life - driving a 2 ton automobile, guns, etc - with zero regard to others. No way to FIX that!
FAA fines are administrative. There is no court involved.

There are several reasosn why it is unlikely that drones won't get banned, but your analogy to cars is not a good one. Neither is the analogy to cell phones. There are FAR fewer drone pilots than people who drive cars, and FAR fewer drone pilots than cell phone users. Invasive or dangerously flown drones are highly visible and make an easy target for regulators because there are way more people who would support the tighter regulations than argue against them.
Just because they are far fewer drone pilots, it doesn’t mean it can be banned. Your reason based on the numbers of users aren’t that good either. What about super cars and hyper cars on the road? You don’t see them being banned on public roads. Neither can they ban Tesla’s because they have some level of auto pilot function and some irresponsible drivers have used them the wrong way. They regulate it.
Anyway, drone pictures and videos are becoming very common now; documentaries, news, tv ads, scientific research, etc. There’s no way to blanket ban drones but limit it to a ‘special’ group to use.

True. Also, Phones have cameras on them. Anyone can pretend they are talking on the phone, but film anyone, even kids or people at the beach. Cell phones with cameras should be monitored for illegal filming. You need to get waivers to film people, cell phone users don't. All phones need registration numbers in case they are used illegally to film a neighbors yard, or private property or people, ETC. If I throw my phone in the air with the camera on does it become a drone? Just kidding. I just find it funny, no one cares when you film with your phone, but they freak if it's an actual video camera or drone.
"No expectation of privacy in public places". There is no such thing as "illegal filming" in public. If you're doing something you don't want the world to know about (especially in this new age of digital/internet/social media) you had better keep it indoors. With the shades drawn. And lights out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser