DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It’s only a matter of time before they ban our hobby because of morons

Two drones crashed into a high-rise here yesterday.... probably harmless...but people are calling for strict regulations

I personally have seen the huge increase of the moron-flying factor in the past 3-4 months
maybe it’s the lockdown, but it’s also the “take it out of the box and fly” marketing
“ no experience needed”

I think you're right that there are bound to be further restrictions in most countries. I've only been flying drones for a couple of months but it's obvious that not only are there plenty of idiots out there flying drones, many of them seem perfectly happy to post incriminating evidence on Facebook groups and then to moan about the "drone police", seemingly unaware of the fact that the actual drone police (the Civil Aviation Authority in the UK) could well be monitoring the groups along with private individuals who want to see further controls. including farmers concerned about thieves looking for stock and equipment to steal. One of these characters posted a video of his Mini 2 (I think) flying into his girlfriend's face, presumably accidentally. He thought it was hilarious as did many of those who replied. Commercial drone operators might well also lobby for tighter control of hobbyists as their own businesses might be harmed by further restrictions.

Perhaps it would be best if hobbyists joined together in our different countries to lobby for rules which would increase the safety of flying drones without restricting hobby users or leading to bans? Now that drones are consumer items they're bound to proliferate. One control we could argue for is that individuals must be registered as operators, and provide proof of registration, to retailers before they are allowed to purchase. Likewise a requirement to pass a drone test could be applied to all drones (in the UK this is only a requirement for >250g drones) before purchase. Moves like this would be in all our long term interests, right?

Well the legal law abiding gun owners of America would disagree, AR platform bans, the possibility of the re-instatement of the 1994AWB, draconian laws in NJ, Illinois, MA, NY, CY, NY, and other places.... knee jerk reaction laws based on the actions of sick individuals and idiots
The gun analogy isn't a good one. At all. Two entirely different industries.

Let’s keep the guns, religion, and politics out of drone discussions people. Please abide by our Community Rules - in this case I am referring to:

“13. Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are not permitted in the community and will be closed or removed.”

I think you're right that there are bound to be further restrictions in most countries. I've only been flying drones for a couple of months but it's obvious that not only are there plenty of idiots out there flying drones, many of them seem perfectly happy to post incriminating evidence on Facebook groups and then to moan about the "drone police", seemingly unaware of the fact that the actual drone police (the Civil Aviation Authority in the UK) could well be monitoring the groups along with private individuals who want to see further controls. including farmers concerned about thieves looking for stock and equipment to steal. One of these characters posted a video of his Mini 2 (I think) flying into his girlfriend's face, presumably accidentally. He thought it was hilarious as did many of those who replied. Commercial drone operators might well also lobby for tighter control of hobbyists as their own businesses might be harmed by further restrictions.

Perhaps it would be best if hobbyists joined together in our different countries to lobby for rules which would increase the safety of flying drones without restricting hobby users or leading to bans? Now that drones are consumer items they're bound to proliferate. One control we could argue for is that individuals must be registered as operators, and provide proof of registration, to retailers before they are allowed to purchase. Likewise a requirement to pass a drone test could be applied to all drones (in the UK this is only a requirement for >250g drones) before purchase. Moves like this would be in all our long term interests, right?
Here in Norway we have had zero such incidents, it just don't seem to happen here at all. Strange, are people in Norway such responsible persons? And since it is so dangerous having drones flying around, what about helicopters!? That is sooo scary! And passenger planes as well! Completely insane, what if they just fall out of the sky? They even have people inside! Consider that!

This worries me as well. Last week there was an incident with an Air Canada flight leaving Nanaimo and encountered a drone at 2000' AGL. Was all over the local news. So now when I go out with my drone I have to worry about someone thinking "Is that the idiot who flew that drone". All the regulations are there for a reason.

A plane flying a couple hundred miles an hour sees a drone? How is that possible?

Two drones crashed into a high-rise here yesterday.... probably harmless...but people are calling for strict regulations

I personally have seen the huge increase of the moron-flying factor in the past 3-4 months
maybe it’s the lockdown, but it’s also the “take it out of the box and fly” marketing
“ no experience needed”

It’s easy to spot people learning to fly for the first few times. Instead of going to a clear park or field ( like they should)
A lot are flying in parks , over little kids soccer games , running paths, whatever...
Tons of crashes into trees and even sometimes playing fields

they see cool YouTube videos following bikers, runners
They charge up the first time and head out

I think this is going to be a huge problem and I think they’re going to clamp down hard

when I go to my favorite field....if there’s people, I go home and come back when it’s empty.... mostly early morning. I don’t want to disturb people, and I don’t want to lose my stuff

it really bugs me when really stupid people ruin things for the 99 percent of us who are safe and responsible
Indeed.. I hope not but you are probably right. There are a lot of drone haters,as well, ignorant people that think you are spying on them or just hate drones period.- I always wondered if some people did this stuff on purpose to ignite regulation restrictions. I know that's conspiracy theory ish' and I do doubt that is the case - HOWEVER- there does seem to be a number of stupid people with drones. I.e Drone flies over White house fence. That happened not all that long ago.

They just need to keep the fines going and collect their money and realize that there was 'No harm done.' Not fair to punish us over a few idiots.

Just look at Youtube for highly public examples of drone stupidity to see what a problem there is. For example, Dustin Dunhill boasts to the world about flying miles away with virtually no battery left- and his 'fans' lap it all up.

Reactions: raylo32
No one will ban drones. You can't base regulatory framework on the actions of idiots.
Vic my neighbor of 10 years came unglued on me for violating his privacy by flying 125 feet above my property. I live on 10 acres. It is not like I am even close to the property line, but yes at altitude you can see over any privacy fence, shrub or tree.

The government in the USA is listening to the drone haters, not those of us who try to follow the rules.

Drone pilots are hated by general aviation and people on the ground too.

Been flying RC for almost 50 years. Someone will always complain, but yes there many stupid people out there.

Had to be FCC licensed when I started, then no license but I joined the AMA for insurance. Now I have to join the AMA and have an FAA number to fly something that most will never know is there.

Aircraft have always had the right of way but they can sneak up on you like a siren on a car.

If the do gooders want to ban something, get these idiots off the road and leave me and my guns alone. I have right to own and use them, driving a car are a privilege and takes far more lives. Leave me and my hobby alone, thought I had a right to pursue happiness??
Curious why you say that with your drone, you now have to join the AMA. This is no requirement or regulations that forces you to join them, that I am aware of unless I am missing something. But do agree with everything else you stated.

This worries me as well. Last week there was an incident with an Air Canada flight leaving Nanaimo and encountered a drone at 2000' AGL. Was all over the local news. So now when I go out with my drone I have to worry about someone thinking "Is that the idiot who flew that drone". All the regulations are there for a reason.
Fake drone stories are all the game... hasn't been one of them yet validated as legit. remember the closure of Gatwick... all just fake stories from the anti drone corporations trying to peddle their wares.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Vic my neighbor of 10 years came unglued on me for violating his privacy by flying 125 feet above my property. I live on 10 acres. It is not like I am even close to the property line, but yes at altitude you can see over any privacy fence, shrub or tree.
If you are on speaking terms with that neighbour, offer to show him a video from 125 feet up, and he should realize there is very little detail at ground level.

If on the other hand he has something on his property he wants to keep extremely private, that could be another story.

Curious why you say that with your drone, you now have to join the AMA. This is no requirement or regulations that forces you to join them, that I am aware of unless I am missing something. But do agree with everything else you stated.
Just a thought but the AMA provides hobby RC insurance, so it doesn't hit your homeowners policy if something happens. If you have commercial insurance, it is probably less necessary. But not a bad idea if you are just a hobbyist, much cheaper through the AMA than regular insurance.

This sounds like a neighbor issue, not a drone issue.
The government in the USA is listening to the drone haters, not those of us who try to follow the rules.
The government is NOT listening to drone haters. There are certainly some who don't like them, but it's about the supposed Chinese security issue, not listening to idiots who complain.
Drone pilots are hated by general aviation and people on the ground too.
And drone pilots aren't hated by GA or the general public either.

I deal with government people and people at airports frequently. It's becoming less and less of an issue. To the point now where it's virtually non-existent.

Over generalizing an issue doesn't help fix it.

uhh am i a grazy pilot/moron? I fly my drone on a salt lake in tunesia 3-4 km away is that vlos? I fly 500 meters high in places where there are 120 meter restictions. But how can i maintain vlos in a desert with a sun beaming on you and in your face ? and how can is it possible for me to maintain 120 meter restrictions when i am in the alps and want to look beyond the next mountain. There are grazy rules in the world around drones. Why? ******* knows!!! In tunesia drones are forbidden. But i fly here. Am i a creepy, grazy moron flying a ma2. Is there a way for me to respect the laws around to register my drone fly in vlos dont fly higher than that is restricted for that area?
can someone give me some tips about this. oh and i am not a very green drone pilot. I had a RT MM1 MM2 MA2 and a fpv drone.

Been flying RC for almost 50 years. Someone will always complain, but yes there many stupid people out there.

Had to be FCC licensed when I started, then no license but I joined the AMA for insurance. Now I have to join the AMA and have an FAA number to fly something that most will never know is there.

Aircraft have always had the right of way but they can sneak up on you like a siren on a car.

If the do gooders want to ban something, get these idiots off the road and leave me and my guns alone. I have right to own and use them, driving a car are a privilege and takes far more lives. Leave me and my hobby alone, thought I had a right to pursue happiness??
I agree 110%. Drones are good safe way to get down range and overhead angles at the shooting range. If I had any, mind you. “Well Officer, I lost ‘em all in a boating accident”. It was the craziest thing.

I'm afraid that it will only get worse now with DJI's FPV Drone as more people will be flying faster without much obstacle avoidance, and using the Goggles they will not be flying VLOS. I doubt most people will have spotters (or many will not even know they are supposed to have a spotter to maintain VLOS) and this will cause more people to hit things (and sadly) other people. This will definitely lead to more restrictions and limit out hobby even more.

Reactions: smashse
This will definitely lead to more restrictions and limit out hobby even more.
No, this won't. At worst, some will be fined. A few idiots aren't going to end up creating more rules.

Reactions: NG Wildman
No, this won't. At worst, some will be fined. A few idiots aren't going to end up creating more rules.
Well, those idiots are getting local ordinances because of it. And while not legal, it does create problems and fines that may not be worth fighting, so you just pay.

I agree that the FAA preempts local law in this regard, but local cops rarely know local laws, much less federal ones.

Reactions: Chip
Well, those idiots are getting local ordinances because of it. And while not legal, it does create problems and fines that may not be worth fighting, so you just pay.

I agree that the FAA preempts local law in this regard, but local cops rarely know local laws, much less federal ones.
Local ordinances are why we need to pay attention to our cities and states. Then we can fight these ordinances. That is what we do at Drone Service Providers Alliance.

There are a lot of morons driving around and I don’t see government banning cars on roads. There’ll probably just be more restrictions.
Yes, true, but like we've seen from this pandemic situation, sanity and logic seems far away from the minds of the regulators today. :(

Reactions: 011111110
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty