DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It must be a "New Generation" thing I can't seem to grasp...

Congratulations. You've proved your point. I'm at fault for not understanding and placing the blame on others. I'm to old to sit here and nit pick over a causal observation I made. My fault for bringing age into it. I thought my apology would have been enough, but here again, my error. I'll just fade from this posting and hope you won't find anything else wrong.
I wouldn't take it that hard. It's just how thing go here. I kid all time about my millennial offspring, but really I know it's just a meme. We forget what idiots we used to be.

Congratulations. You've proved your point. I'm at fault for not understanding and placing the blame on others. I'm to old to sit here and nit pick over a causal observation I made. My fault for bringing age into it. I thought my apology would have been enough, but here again, my error. I'll just fade from this posting and hope you won't find anything else wrong.

An apology is meaningless when your original post still exists unedited highlighting a single age group repeatedly for your criticism and after reading it several times, I still can't work what you meant if you weren't intending to criticise young drone pilots. Don't worry though, I'm the one at fault for defending the irredeemably careless young people (based on a sample set of 1) and your thread still stands.

It's not age; it's lack of guidance. I blame the parents, point blank.

My 13-year-old son has been flying his (yes, his) Phantom 3 Standard for years. Never a crash, never an incident, never an issue. I just upgraded him to a Mavic Mini for his birthday, in fact. He knows how to preflight it, how to check and make sure he's in a safe area to fly, how to check for no-fly zones, and to keep it fully within line of sight, and not over people. He knows his ceiling height, and even to check wind speed with a anemometer. He's conscientious when flying with our drone group - he calls out pre-takeoff and pre-landing, and even takes precaution to call out altitudes when changing heights. I'm a pretty proud dad - he's a more cautious flyer than most adults.

So it's not age, it's training. We took the time to make sure he understand not only the rules, but the gravity of what it is he's doing.

And before you ask - a Phantom 3 Standard and a Mavic Mini. Do I spoil him? Yes. Has he earned my trust and proven his responsibility? Absolutely. One thousand percent.

He also has an iPhone X. It's 2 years old now and looks as if it were brand new. He's a boy who's learned to take excellent care of his things, and use them responsibly. That earns him the privilege of things like Mavics and Phantoms.

It's not age; it's lack of guidance. I blame the parents, point blank.

My 13-year-old son has been flying his (yes, his) Phantom 3 Standard for years. Never a crash, never an incident, never an issue. I just upgraded him to a Mavic Mini for his birthday, in fact. He knows how to preflight it, how to check and make sure he's in a safe area to fly, how to check for no-fly zones, and to keep it fully within line of sight, and not over people. He knows his ceiling height, and even to check wind speed with a anemometer. He's conscientious when flying with our drone group - he calls out pre-takeoff and pre-landing, and even takes precaution to call out altitudes when changing heights. I'm a pretty proud dad - he's a more cautious flyer than most adults.

So it's not age, it's training. We took the time to make sure he understand not only the rules, but the gravity of what it is he's doing.

And before you ask - a Phantom 3 Standard and a Mavic Mini. Do I spoil him? Yes. Has he earned my trust and proven his responsibility? Absolutely. One thousand percent.

He also has an iPhone X. It's 2 years old now and looks as if it were brand new. He's a boy who's learned to take excellent care of his things, and use them responsibly. That earns him the privilege of things like Mavics and Phantoms.
That's just as off as blaming the the child.
You can lead a horse to water ....
I chose not to listen to my dad until my late 20's. Then it was a forehead slap "dang he was right"
Some kids are just naturally rebels.
My kids did not listen until they got older and now they very successful.
But that was not due to lack of guidance, it was different personality styles.

That's just as off as blaming the the child.
You can lead a horse to water ....
I chose not to listen to my dad until my late 20's. Then it was a forehead slap "dang he was right"
Some kids are just naturally rebels.
My kids did not listen until they got older and now they very successful.
But that was not due to lack of guidance, it was different personality styles.

... If the child can't handle the responsibility of flying a drone, they don't get one! It's that simple.

If the kid doesn't want to listen, that's fine. But flying a drone is a privilege, not a right, and one that I would have ZERO hesitation pulling if I thought my kid (or any kid) wasn't being responsible about it.

... If the child can't handle the responsibility of flying a drone, they don't get one! It's that simple.

If the kid doesn't want to listen, that's fine. But flying a drone is a privilege, not a right, and one that I would have ZERO hesitation pulling if I thought my kid (or any kid) wasn't being responsible about it.
Wait so you’re saying you would take my kids Drone?

Like others have said, not age but just stupidity. To those with deep pockets it’s just another trendy toy to amuse them for a weekend.

Yea age has nothing to do with it. I have a friend in his 60's fly's a Pro platinum and won't go out more then a couple hundred feet cause he's afraid he'll lose his wifi connection, I told him I think the Platinum has ocusyc and can go a lot futher with no worries . He says no it has wifi. LOL and he's not FAA reg I told him he should reg it but he said hey I only fly once in a while so why bother.well I know from experience arguing with friends will get you nowhere. So I don't talk Politics,religion and now drones with friends LOL ;)

I get the OP’s point he was just marveling over the person basically meh about losing a drone. As someone obsessed in the hobby, I’d be out there all night long looking for it and my wife would be telling the group how i’m crazy. ? He clearly is not “into” the hobby and the drone was just a toy of the week for him, plus he probably didn’t pay for it, those two factors made him lackadaisical in his reaction, is my perception. Which hey, to each his own, right?

Only problem with you theory is that China can manufacture to any desired quality standard. The blame falls on US companies that request a price range that dictates lower quality. Or a big box store with orange aprons that buy the dirt cheapest stuff they can find - but then I have to assume that's what their customers want.

That used to be said of Japan back in the 60's and boy did they teach a thing or two about quality. If anything they showed made in america was not the high quality you made have thought it was.

Which is not to say America can't make high quality - if they so choose.

You may not care for Apple products or DJI products but the quality is great.
Hello, Thaqnls for your

Only problem with you theory is that China can manufacture to any desired quality standard. The blame falls on US companies that request a price range that dictates lower quality. Or a big box store with orange aprons that buy the dirt cheapest stuff they can find - but then I have to assume that's what their customers want.

That used to be said of Japan back in the 60's and boy did they teach a thing or two about quality. If anything they showed made in america was not the high quality you made have thought it was.
Hello, you've made the point! Finally, there is someone who understands the reality of the market. The fault comes from the United States !! It's the middle class that wants to buy cheap products of poor quality ... The main factor for the average buyer when buying today in the US is the price and not the quality .. almost no one cares anymore about quality ... We are always looking for the lowest price and ... it is still too expensive in the public opinion ... This is the general philosophy today in the United States ... Very sad but true.
And be sure that Chinese people can make great products IF you demand quality and a reasonable price. It is not China which is at fault, it is the US mentality which is open to criticism.
Surprisingly, the buyer's spirit is the opposite in the other side of the pound.
Surprisingly, the mentality is the opposite of the other side of the pound (EU). But... the market economy is less strong.
So the US buyers must make a choice !

Struck the nail on the head there! My sentiments exactly..

Middle class Americans are responsible for Chinese industrial manufacturing quality control. I think I have heard it all now.

Sorry about the misunderstanding here. I'm not blaming or attempting to blame any generation. It just caught me off guard on this pilots attitude of not being in compliance with regulations, we all follow, of our hobby. More over not caring where it fell from the sky. There are several younger pilots who do respect what an where to fly, some even more responsible than there elders. So it was more of an observation than a thread to rant on something.
There's always one that wants to start something. Your post was fine and we all knew exactly what you meant. Well almost all except that one that has to be negative and try to start an argument. Your fine bud. Enjoy the day and no apology needed. From a 73 year old new drone flyer. And I love it and yes I care for the rules, unlike most younger pilots, that don't take the time to read a manual. And ask the stupidest questions over and over. Or someone that has to make you wrong, just so they can feel righteous.

Attachments

• 20210121131303_IMG_1835.JPG
    20210121131303_IMG_1835.JPG
    613.5 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Mac282
I’m guessing maybe a little education given to them will go a long way. We often forget that we are enthusiasts. Many people buy these drones thinking they are toys not knowing the consequences of poor judgement and not understanding how to safely operate the drone. A buddy of mine in real estate bought one for business and until I explained to him FAA refs and such he knew nothing of the sort and basically thought of it like a RC car you just buy and use and have fun but it’s not so simple. I’ve seen similar thing happen with RC cars as I watched a kid shatter his ankle about 3-4 years ago by hitting himself with a nitro RC car running about 50mph. Much of the time the biggest issue is new users are uneducated. Hopefully lesson learned here.

I think language was invented for saying, "NOW IF THAT CHILD WAS MINE . . . .!!! Every generation of humans has sincerely believed that the newest generation was going to H*ll in handbasket.

But listen: this time IT REALLY IS!!!

MA2 content: my MA2 with so-called "smart" controller "drops" the app worse than my $20 e-bay POS drone. I am not exaggerating. I could have bought 73+ eBay boys for the cost of the MA2 and controller.

First off I'm retired and do the RV circuit around Arizona. I mainly stay in the National Forest areas in Northern Az. This last weekend we must have had 100+ people staying close to our campsite in about 4-5 different groups. No problem there. I happen to spot a youngster, about 20-25 yrs of age, walking thru our camp, again no problem. However I spotted him carrying a DJI Phantom controller, but no drone. So, I inquired about this from his group where he was staying.
Either his mother, aunt or some relationship to him were ecstatic I had made contact with there group and that I had offered my help in the recovery of his drone. From the conversation, I learned that he launched from the middle of this group, about 35 people, straight up about 175 ft to tree top level and lost it to the wind as it cleared the tree tops. My UAV Flight app indicated a 35mph wind with gusts up to 50mph. Also only 6 satellites locking for GPS. Not a good time to fly.
Apparently he used the DJI Go 4 app, I'm not familiar with the Phantom 3, if you use that app or not, but I use that for my Mavic Air. I recommended they pull the flight record for a good idea of a location to start looking. They didn't even know that was possible and ready, it wasn't even registered. They left the following day, Sunday without making contact with me again. Now given it was almost dusk when this conversation started they came back empty handed.
I wonder if it's worth to go scout it out to retrive?
I don't want to group these youngsters together, but his attitude was a "oh,well" and I started to ponder about this. Never registered the drone, didn't give a hoot as to where or what happened to it. Gave up on the idea of recovery, and my help. I just found it very sad in this "new generation" of flyers.
Very nice of you to try to help. My guess would be that he got the drone for a gift and no one bothered to help educate him on its use. If he had spent his own money, the situation would have probably been a little different.

Reactions: Flycaster
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman