DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Italian east London based, new to drone flying

Alchemist101

Reactions
Hello to all,
I'm new in this forum and new in this world of drones. From about 24 hours I own a DJI Mavic Pro, bought used on Ebay .
I joined this forum to learn more about this world, share and why not socialize for the same passion.
At the moment I have not yet flown with my drone because I find it difficult to find an area where I can fly in London with a drone, I hope someone can help me to find a suitable area to fly with my drone.
(Sorry for my English is not my first language)

Reactions: dirkclod
I don't live in London myself, but have researched that question quite thoroughly because I too have wanted to film there...

You might find this page helpful, but it's not great news I'm afraid. Most of London is controlled airspace in which you theoretically could fly (you are strongly advised to notify ATC every time you fly in a controlled zone), but the greater problem is that there is almost nowhere in London that doesn't qualify in the eyes of the CAA as a 'built up area' that you are obliged by law to stay 150 meters away from ! All eight of London's Royal Parks are no-drone zones, as are many of the commons including Wimbledon Common, Putney Common and Clapham Common. You're not allowed to fly any model aircraft or even a kite at these sites. ... In Bexley, drones are banned from all parks and open spaces. You can fly in parks in Ealing, though.

And as if that wasn't restrictive enough, nearly all of central London is covered by a HIRTA red zone which is an area of High Radio Transmission that could seriously affect the control of your drone. Finding decent places to fly in cities is one of the biggest challenges we face as drone flyers - I wish you every luck in finding the bits nearest you where it is still possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alchemist101
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Pro, fly safe and have fun!

I don't live in London myself, but have researched that question quite thoroughly because I too have wanted to film there...

You might find this page helpful, but it's not great news I'm afraid. Most of London is controlled airspace in which you theoretically could fly (you are strongly advised to notify ATC every time you fly in a controlled zone), but the greater problem is that there is almost nowhere in London that doesn't qualify in the eyes of the CAA as a 'built up area' that you are obliged by law to stay 150 meters away from ! All eight of London's Royal Parks are no-drone zones, as are many of the commons including Wimbledon Common, Putney Common and Clapham Common. You're not allowed to fly any model aircraft or even a kite at these sites. ... In Bexley, drones are banned from all parks and open spaces. You can fly in parks in Ealing, though.

And as if that wasn't restrictive enough, nearly all of central London is covered by a HIRTA red zone which is an area of High Radio Transmission that could seriously affect the control of your drone. Finding decent places to fly in cities is one of the biggest challenges we face as drone flyers - I wish you every luck in finding the bits nearest you where it is still possible.
Thank you for your reply, to be honest I don't want fly in Central London for 2 reasons, too much drone restrictions rules and also I want avoid crowded places. I would like places in zone 4 or 5 of London, also happy to travel about 1 hour from London center.

Welcome to our forum .Hope you find all the resources you seek and look forward
to any photos or videos you might post .
Any issues just ask.
Enjoy

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to Mavicpilots. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Now that you’re here, you might be interested in joining the Fall Foliage Photo Contest.No charge for your entry, and you could win a nice prize. Here’s the link:

Fall Foliage Photo Contest. Prizes for top 6 entries.

Best regards,

Rob

Hello to all,
I'm new in this forum and new in this world of drones. From about 24 hours I own a DJI Mavic Pro, bought used on Ebay .
I joined this forum to learn more about this world, share and why not socialize for the same passion.
At the moment I have not yet flown with my drone because I find it difficult to find an area where I can fly in London with a drone, I hope someone can help me to find a suitable area to fly with my drone.
(Sorry for my English is not my first language)
Howdy from Wyoming @Alchemist101 , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.
Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead