DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's illegal, but if you could...?

I'd like to fly a small drone in a cave and explore the caverns below.

Of course the lighting, radio interference of the rock, and no GPS would make this an impossible task.

Yoe

and the grand canyon would be a must in my book.
I want to do a Spock like dive lol
I'm with you - Grand Canyon would be amazing on so many levels! I saw it when I was kid - back in 1965 but didn't get to spend much time there (Mom was scared of heights and freaking out.) so doing my own drone tour would be a hoot!

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I've had similar ideas. I figure a large day-glo parachute would help to find it... maybe using a drone to look for it... but no control on where it lands. Could be difficult to retrieve.
But lol if you could use a drone to "find it" you could use the drone to take the original imagery.
Agreed that actually being able to retrieve the camera could be difficult so I wouldn't use the latest $xk full frame Canon or Nikon.
I miss Olympus and Minolta cameras lol.

I wouldn’t have thought it was hard for someone to think of a good reason for making throwing things off of the top of El Capitan illegal.

Yes, visually it would have been interesting, but really- besides littering, endangering the public (climbers and hikers below), fire hazards (lithium batteries don’t like getting damaged), and all the stupid public stunt ideas it could incite (after the first few YouTube videos of it are posted and become popular), I’m sure they would add a few other reasons for not doing it.

If ever did want to do such a thing like perhaps for parachuting over open spaces, instead of propellers, you could use gyroscopic wheels inside the thing to stabilize it. That way on the outside there’d be no moving parts. Or you could make it a 360 device like they do with those 360 degree throw-ball cameras. They have multiple cameras in a hockey ball sort of configuration and the image is electronically stabilized. That would be cool to view with VR Goggles!
My thinking is that a BIG parachute might slow the descent rate to the point that the falling camera would not be a risk to anyone on the ground.
It might also be possible to arrange that the props stopped when close to the ground. But your gyroscopic stabilization is a great idea.

Why would you want to throw your poop off the cliff? Gravity causes mine to fall automatically! 💩💩💩
😆
For poop to fall off a cliff as produced you'd have to have your naked derrier hanging out there, some folks might be shy and prefer to poop in secret lol then dispose of the results.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Members.

Screenshot_20240615-081420.png

Keep it together with the O.P.

☮️

OK, we know it's illegal to fly in National Parks, for instance, but if you could fly and record ANYWHERE, where would you go?

I would want to fly around Yosemite, especially El Capitan. Check out some climbers, fly over the edge like flying off a cliff.
Or all through the Arches in Utah. That would be cool.
I would love to FPV thru DisneyWorld/DisneyLand.

Throwing poop is off-topic? 🤣
OK , calm down people. I thought Middle School ended a long time ago! 😉 It was from the park brochure informing climbers that they also had to follow the ruling about not throwing items off the cliffs while camping on them.

I would think filming in a dramatic place with a sUAV outfitted with a v360 camera for viewing later with VR goggles would be really cool- the karst valleys in China, fly-throughs in slot canyons of the southwestern US, and mingling with flocks of flying geese, aerial fireworks or other dramatic v360 scenes.

There are bleachers with a viewing area and other stuff at the Base. Its pretty far away from the cliff itself BUT not so much that if you tossed something from the top you wouldnt hit someone. It would even be pretty cool just to fly at the little rest area just past the tunnel.

OK, we know it's illegal to fly in National Parks, for instance, but if you could fly and record ANYWHERE, where would you go?

I would want to fly around Yosemite, especially El Capitan. Check out some climbers, fly over the edge like flying off a cliff.
Or all through the Arches in Utah. That would be cool.
Grand Canyon or Yellowstone would be amazing with appropriate music.

With all it's monuments and interesting architecture, DC would be a fabulous place to fly.
Like that? Actually this seems more like helicopter footage to me:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca92