DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's this illegal?

macoman

Reactions

That's one of his videos but he also flew at night or very early in the morning when it's dark. I like the guy but I am sure that flying in center city Philadelphia is totally against the FAA law.

Last edited:
That's one of his videos but he also flew at night or very early in the morning when it's dark. I like the guy but I am sure that flying in a city like Philadelphia is totally against the FAA law.
What could possibly go wrong?
It's not like the Philadelphia City Hall is likely to have many people down below.
DseV4v-UwAA1JV6.jpg

Here are the relevant regulations

§107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

Mavic 2 Zoom took off so he was not in a DJI restricted zone. He took off from 827 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA, USA
He maintained less than 400 feet AGL

From what I can tell during the majority of the flight he is not directly over people and the ones he was over were covered.
Streets were fairly desolate.

A hobby flyer can fly in darkness as long as they have lights on the drone visible for up to 3 miles. Part 107 flyers will need a waiver to fly in those conditions.

The law he broke is maintaining VLOS.

I was more worried that he was going to soil his shorts with all that oooo and aaaahhhh.

Mavic 2 Zoom took off so he was not in a DJI restricted zone. He took off from 827 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA, USA
He maintained less than 400 feet AGL

From what I can tell during the majority of the flight he is not directly over people and the ones he was over were covered.
Streets were fairly desolate.

A hobby flyer can fly in darkness as long as they have lights on the drone visible for up to 3 miles. Part 107 flyers will need a waiver to fly in those conditions.

The law he broke is maintaining VLOS.

I was more worried that he was going to soil his shorts with all that oooo and aaaahhhh.
Oh ok, I thought that flying in populated area as a downtown like center City of Philadelphia is against the law. I guess Philly is one of these few cities that allow drone pilots to maintain their freedom of flying.

I'm still not sure that wasn't illeagly but whether or not it was or wasn't with the wind I think what he did was stupid . Not scared to fly in wind but wouldn't where he did .
JMO

What could possibly go wrong?
It's not like the Philadelphia City Hall is likely to have many people down below.
DseV4v-UwAA1JV6.jpg

Here are the relevant regulations

§107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.
It just so happens that the Philadelphia City Hall where William Penn stands on top, is 548 feet tall. Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like he’s above that looking down. Wouldn’t that make the flight illegal?

Reactions: Flynz
It just so happens that the Philadelphia City Hall where William Penn stands on top, is 548 feet tall. Correct me if I’m wrong but it looks like he’s above that looking down. Wouldn’t that make the flight illegal?

No. The rule is 400 feet above ground level or 400 feet above a structure. If city hall is 548 feet he could have flown to 948 feet.

Hasn't anybody just read the basic rules?

No. The rule is 400 feet above ground level or 400 feet above a structure. If city hall is 548 feet he could have flown to 948 feet.

Hasn't anybody just read the basic rules?
I stand corrected...
“The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheech Wizard
It's all very well to say that things are different and recreational flyers aren't subject to those rules.
But with the repeal of Sect 336, you'd better get used to flying to proper rules.
FAA Reauthorization Explained: Part 1, the Repeal of Section 336
Currently, things are different and recreational flyers aren't subject to those (Part 107) rules. Period.

What the FAA implements six months or a year from now --- well, then we'll talk. But currently the Part 107 rules do not apply to recreational flyers.

Oh ok, I thought that flying in populated area as a downtown like center City of Philadelphia is against the law. I guess Philly is one of these few cities that allow drone pilots to maintain their freedom of flying.

Its situational and ever changing. What I mean is in the video he posted he was not flying over people and the people he was flying over were within enclosed structures - cars, buildings, etc. So the people had some reasonable protection from a 2 lb Mavic plummeting down on top of them.

Now change that scenario by flying on a Parade Day where there are people everywhere lining sidewalks, streets, and parking lots. BOOM! You are breaking he law.

He refers to not knowing which direction he was traveling and needed to reorient the drone and figure out his position (its in the audio that accompanies the video). This points out clearly that he has not maintained Visual Line of Sight.

Usually thats harder to prove , but when you mention it within your own video its a self admission of rule breaking.

Reactions: BigAl07 and macoman
There's another video of his where he's again over the tall buildings and he loses signal. Upon return to home his Mavic almost crashes into a building, and he's excited about it. I personally think his flights are irresponsible and encourage others to try the same.

There's another video of his where he's again over the tall buildings and he loses signal. Upon return to home his Mavic almost crashes into a building, and he's excited about it. I personally think his flights are irresponsible and encourage others to try the same.
Completely agreed, I would never try flying in a downtown like Philadelphia like that. I am too scare to lose my freedom or get a hefty fine.

I made the same following comments in the OP who put up the video. I work in the same area as the video was taken. I also fly my inspire 1 and Mavic in Philly. Granted I fly at the end of the BF parkway which puts me over the river and parks. I don't trust the drones enough to put them over the buildings. I have had many confrontations with Philadelphia police over my drones. None of them negative except for them interrupting me as I am flying. What they usually ask is how fast, How High and how much did it cost. If I ask if they would like me to move on I usually get as long as I don't crash into a building keep having fun. As far as crowds go, At the time he was flying you are taking desolate. The beginning of the video shows I95 with about 3 cars going past. Take the same video in 3 more hours and it will be bumper to bumper. I think this forum is great and thank the participants who help and the Mods who do an awesome job. I just wish people could stop making arguments over nothing. ( Parker33 posted an awesome picture of Dillworth Plaza during the height of the holidays, Its ashame it had zero relevance to the time of flight in the video

So flying over buildings, cars, streets and people is not illegal?
Flying in a area over people is not allowed, and I'm sure he was within 5 miles of an airport also, but flying at night is also not allowed, people seem to think they can buy a drone with no rules to adhear to, or they make up there own rules. If your gonna fly drones read the FAA rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705