DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's this illegal?

You need to lighten up. It’s the people you don’t hear or knowable you should focus all of your anxiety at!

Let’s get back to helping each other

Show some love [emoji173]️
I have no anxiety I simply stated a fact please tell me where I was wrong?

Mavic 2 Zoom took off so he was not in a DJI restricted zone. He took off from 827 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA, USA
He maintained less than 400 feet AGL

From what I can tell during the majority of the flight he is not directly over people and the ones he was over were covered.
Streets were fairly desolate.

A hobby flyer can fly in darkness as long as they have lights on the drone visible for up to 3 miles. Part 107 flyers will need a waiver to fly in those conditions.

The law he broke is maintaining VLOS.

I was more worried that he was going to soil his shorts with all that oooo and aaaahhhh.
Darkness? Don’t you mean just half hour before/after sunset? Its not dark then.

Please watch the video where Ken Heron explains it.

Yeah, but it’s Ken Heron... :( (JK)

Even though I am a recreational flier, I try to follow 107 rules all the time as I’m going that direction anyways. Right now, it is just a loophole between Part 101 and 107 that allow nighflying for recreational flying, and I bet that will be filled in sometime soon. I was mainly asking if it had been specifically written in the 2019 regs that it could be done, as if so I would, but I’d rather not deal with the issues it may cause flying on a loophole if someone thinks I couldn’t do it. Thanks anyways for the KH reference, he’s pretty funny but also annoying at times. That gets the views, I guess.

Reactions: BD0G
Yeah, but it’s Ken Heron... :( (JK)

Even though I am a recreational flier, I try to follow 107 rules all the time as I’m going that direction anyways. Right now, it is just a loophole between Part 101 and 107 that allow nighflying for recreational flying, and I bet that will be filled in sometime soon. I was mainly asking if it had been specifically written in the 2019 regs that it could be done, as if so I would, but I’d rather not deal with the issues it may cause flying on a loophole if someone thinks I couldn’t do it. Thanks anyways for the KH reference, he’s pretty funny but also annoying at times. That gets the views, I guess.
Ken Heron knows what he is doing. He is already a 107 certified pilot.

Please watch the video where Ken Heron explains it.

Hey- finally went back and saw your post #34 and it makes more sense than Ken’s video did. I have to stop drop-in posting on threads before reading the prior information in them first. But as I pointed out, even though I have the required lighting and all that, I’m still going to be personally refraining from flying recreationally in the dark for the issues surrounding it and just sticking to the 107 rules. But thanks for posting the AMA reference about it! It’s rather interesting that they will let less likely to be experienced recreational fliers do it but not the 107 holders.

Last edited:
What you claim to know doesn't apply to the discussion at hand. Did the OP break the rules? Yes, he went out of line of sight.

For those in the thread that asked for links:

FAA USA FAQS
FAA USA Recreational Rules
Just to clarify to you, that video that I posted is from someone else that I thought was illegally flying in center City, Philadelphia.

Reactions: AMann
Hey- finally went back and saw your post #34 and it makes more sense than Ken’s video did. I have to stop drop-in posting on threads before reading the prior information in them first. But as I pointed out, even though I have the required lighting and all that, I’m still going to be personally refraining from flying recreationally in the dark for the issues surrounding it and just sticking to the 107 rules. But thanks for posting the AMA reference about it! It’s rather interesting that they will let less likely to be experienced recreational fliers do it but not the 107 holders.

Your choice :) It is a bit of a dichotomy. I was just pointing out the legality of it.
I fly at night and can take some great long exposure photos. Although lately the temps have kept me inside near the fireplace.

Reactions: warloc66
Your choice :) It is a bit of a dichotomy. I was just pointing out the legality of it.
I fly at night and can take some great long exposure photos. Although lately the temps have kept me inside near the fireplace.

I like sunset shots, thus the lights, but then my bird comes back to its roost soon after, pretty much. Have you done any glimmering full moon shots over the lake? That would be nice. I hear you about the cold- no sense in pushing yourself and your batteries to their limit in that cold winter air!

Reactions: BD0G and warloc66
I have not done any glimmer shots over the lake , but **** thats a great idea. Currently snowing ...

You have to do that, especially when its full and low off the horizon over the water. Try using this app to plan the set up your shot location, it will tell you exactly where and when the moon and sun will rise from where you are located based on local topography:

The Photographer's Ephemeris

Last edited:
Now thats something I was unaware of. I gotta check that app out!

It is cool because you can set up a shot and have the sun or moon rise or set where you want it to by standing at the place it gives on a certain day. Ive used it to catch a moonrise over a specific peak summit, etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman