DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's this illegal?

It’s rather interesting that they will let less likely to be experienced recreational fliers do it but not the 107 holders.
You don't have to be an experienced drone operator to get a Part 107 license. There are Part 107 license holders that have far less experience than recreational flyers.

Since regulations vary in different parts of the world, might it be an idea to establish regional sections within the forum.

It's quite tedious to follow up what looks like an interesting question only to find that it applies only to the FAA and that the CAA (for example) is quite different.

Just a thought ;)

You don't have to be an experienced drone operator to get a Part 107 license. There are Part 107 license holders that have far less experience than recreational flyers.

... additionally (and surprisingly), you don't even have to know which control stick turns the aircraft (yaw) or which stick makes it slow down (throttle), etc. to get your commercial license!

In other words you don't have to own, or even have touched a drone, to get certified.

That's one of his videos but he also flew at night or very early in the morning when it's dark. I like the guy but I am sure that flying in center city Philadelphia is totally against the FAA law.
Flying at night also is not illegal. If you're flying under Part 107 then you need a waiver for night flights. Otherwise if you keep it LOS and have clearly visible lights it's fine. I use these CREE lights when I fly at night (over the city).

Looks like he was on the fringe of Class B airspace at Philadelphia International but probably slipped by on this one.
AirMap Web App
However when looking through all of videos by PhillyDroneLife (Michael DiCiurcio) on Invidious, he's definitely a fly boy out for a good time
phillydronelife - Invidious

Look guys, this is another video that the guy created. You will tell me that this not against the law flying close to buildings in the middle of a downtown like Philadelphia...

It's all very well to say that things are different and recreational flyers aren't subject to those rules.
But with the repeal of Sect 336, you'd better get used to flying to proper rules.
FAA Reauthorization Explained: Part 1, the Repeal of Section 336

The FAA repealed 336, but still haven't written the new rules, so until then, per the FAA website:

"The agency is evaluating the impacts of this change in the law and how implementation will proceed. The Reauthorization Act cannot be fully implemented immediately, please continue to follow all current policies and guidance with respect to recreational use of drones."

Flying "close" to buildings is not illegal in the U.S. Why are you so determined that it is?
Did you saw the video I quoted? The drone is in the middle of broad street and flying between buildings. He doesn't care that there are a lot of cars down there. I mean more clear thsn that can't be.

It seems like pretty much every video I’ve seen on you tube is outside the law. Just like the early days of CB radios there were so many thousands of people breaking the law they just gave up trying to regulate it.

Reactions: Point Zero
Did you saw the video I quoted? The drone is in the middle of broad street and flying between buildings. He doesn't care that there are a lot of cars down there. I mean more clear thsn that can't be.
Not illegal.

A hobby flyer can fly in darkness as long as they have lights on the drone visible for up to 3 miles. .

This is not accurate. The only lighting required for a hobbyist flying after dark is whatever is required for the pilot to be able to determine position and orientation of the AC. All stock DJI drones meet this standard. I'm not saying high-powered lights and strobes are a bad idea (I go up lit like a Christmas tree) -- but they are not required for night flights.

To be able to see the Mavic VLOS at night one needs stronger illumination than the standard lights that it is equipped with. 3 Nautical Miles may be overkill , but better to have more light then less to spot it in the darkened sky.

... additionally (and surprisingly), you don't even have to know which control stick turns the aircraft (yaw) or which stick makes it slow down (throttle), etc. to get your commercial license!

In other words you don't have to own, or even have touched a drone, to get certified.

I find it quite amusing and a little ironic that you think the throttle makes a drone slow down (or speed up)! You are, of course, correct if you are referring to vertical speed.

And before anyone else picks it up, it is roll that generally induces a turn in level forward flight, but yaw also induces roll in fixed wing drones, thus changing the heading. As I’m sure everyone knows, yaw is correct as a turn stick when hovering a rotary wing aircraft.

Last edited:
So you folks in USA are allowed to fly at night? We aren’t here in Australia. Nor are we allowed to fly over densely populated areas such as main roads or busy beaches, though this seems somewhat subjective - when does a beach become busy?

I find it quite amusing and a little ironic that you think the throttle makes a drone slow down (or speed up)! You are, of course, correct if you are referring to vertical speed.
Throttle speeds up or slows down the motors (regardless of direction—horizontal or vertical), which can speed up or slow down a quadcopter's movement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661