DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

J-peg, RAW with Mavic 3

The jpg has exactly the same resolution as the dng file, so should enlarge just as well.
The jpg and dng files may have the same number of pixels, but not all of the pixels in a jpg represent real image information. The jpg algorithm can result in lower resolution but the same pixel count.

The jpg and dng files may have the same number of pixels, but not all of the pixels in a jpg represent real image information. The jpg algorithm can result in lower resolution but the same pixel count.
True, and also important is that jpg files are usually sharpened in camera. That is bad if you want to make a print so big that you need to upsample (increase the pixel count). You will then increase the artefacts caused by the sharpening in-camera. Sharpening should generally always be the last step in image processing.

Every source I check says that resolution = pixel count.

Every source I check says that resolution = pixel count.
Thats true of the file itself, not true of the complete image system which includes the lens, and image processing which is nearly always less than the pixel count. Image sensors today typically have higher pixel count than the associated lens has resolving power. This is as it should be. The entire system is limited first optically, then reduced by jpg “compression”. It’s why you can run lens tests using just a camera like Welcome to OpticalLimits!. Not on drone cameras unfortunately but the principles apply.

The jpg has exactly the same resolution as the dng file, so should enlarge just as well.
If you set the white balance correctly and expose correctly for the scene, JPGs are totally fine.
If you want to do a lot of post processing to achieve the image you want, you’re better off with a RAW file but a properly exposed JPEG is totally fine quality.

Reactions: MS Coast and Meta4
Read through this thread and have a question: what software are you all using to process .dng files? I refuse to use Adobe products because of the subscription based fees. Can any recommend alternatives?

Read through this thread and have a question: what software are you all using to process .dng files? I refuse to use Adobe products because of the subscription based fees. Can any recommend alternatives?
Three RAW editors worth looking at. Two are freeware. Darktable and Rawtherapee. The third is fee-ware: one-off payment for a lifetime license, that's PhotoNinja... Stunning features without all the AI nonsense.

Reactions: guitars555
Three RAW editors worth looking at. Two are freeware. Darktable and Rawtherapee. The third is fee-ware: one-off payment for a lifetime license, that's PhotoNinja... Stunning features without all the AI nonsense.
Thank you! Tried Darktable, they’re not setup for dng files from DJI cameras, but I found a pull request from a week ago so they’re working on it. I am now trying Rawtherapee. Will also check out PhotoNinja soon.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Thank you! Tried Darktable, they’re not setup for dng files from DJI cameras, but I found a pull request from a week ago so they’re working on it. I am now trying Rawtherapee. Will also check out PhotoNinja soon.
This screenshot was grabbed about 5 minutes ago. Left panel, showing the image loaded is an unprocessed OOC (Out Of Camera) DJI DNG. Version number is top left corner.

Attachments

• image_2023-11-16_183334903.png
    image_2023-11-16_183334903.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
This screenshot was grabbed about 5 minutes ago. Left panel, showing the image loaded is an unprocessed OOC (Out Of Camera) DJI DNG. Version number is top left corner.
Wow thanks again. I just downloaded it and assumed I had the latest. I don’t understand how I missed that version, but I will check later.

So I have 4.4.2, same as you do. The thumbnails appear fine in the light table section, but when I open the Darkroom, I get this (attached):
I did go onto their website and check for the Mavic 3 on the list of supported cameras. It wasn't there. Then I went to their github page and found a bug fix request from about a week ago. It doesn't make sense, other than maybe your drone has newer firmware than mine? That really doesn't make sense either.

Attachments

• Darktable cound not load.jpg
    Darktable cound not load.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3
Been chatting with a Darktable developer about this. It appears you have an earlier DJI drone than I do. With the Mavic 3 Pro, DJI changed their dng compression to something different than the Adobe standard. This requires the dev’s to update the software by adding support for this néw compression. Mystery solved.

Been chatting with a Darktable developer about this. It appears you have an earlier DJI drone than I do. With the Mavic 3 Pro, DJI changed their dng compression to something different than the Adobe standard. This requires the dev’s to update the software by adding support for this néw compression. Mystery solved.
Well, I have no problem opening .dng files from Mavic 3 Pro with the 8 years old Adobe Camera Raw 9.11, which was released in 2015.
I have tried opening the same files in several other raw converters, some older, some more recent. No problem.
I think your inormation is not correct.

Well, I have no problem opening .dng files from Mavic 3 Pro with the 8 years old Adobe Camera Raw 9.11, which was released in 2015.
I have tried opening the same files in several other raw converters, some older, some more recent. No problem.
Interesting. Maybe something corrupted in my Mavic camera or software. Thanks for the input.

The devs are working on this and asked if you could upload Mavic 3 Pro dng files that open in Darktable so they can look at the difference between yours and mine. Could you be so kind? Here is the page that explains how and has a link to upload.

The devs are working on this and asked if you could upload Mavic 3 Pro dng files that open in Darktable so they can look at the difference between yours and mine. Could you be so kind? Here is the page that explains how and has a link to upload.
I have not tried opening files in darktable.
But if you want a selection of DNG-files from Mavic 3 Pro you can find many on dpreview.com. They have raw files from all lenses, and in many different light situations.

You've got me curious now, I know that the Mavic 3 pro uses a very similar sensor to the mini 3 pro in the 3x and 7x cameras in the pod: does Darktable spit the dummy with shots taken with those too? I did wonder about DJI altering their version of DNG when I spotted that the mini 3 pro kicked out '48mp' shots in the DNG format.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga