DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

J-peg, RAW with Mavic 3

smfry60

Reactions
I've been taking picture's in J-peg\RAW and I can't figure out how to get to the RAW file. all I can find is the JPEG!

I've been taking picture's in J-peg\RAW and I can't figure out how to get to the RAW file. all I can find is the JPEG!
The raw files are in the same place as the jpg files, on the SD card.
The .dng files are the ones you are looking for.

So when I transfer them to tablet the dng. file is still in the memory card on the drone?
I'm not sure what you've done, but the jpg and dng image files are saved together on the SD card that's in your drone (unless you set the drone to save imagery on the internal storage).
i-ZW8vHph-M.jpg

Reactions: johnnyb57
Don't know your background. Mine was chemical photography, so jumping into Photoshop (over 30 years ago!) was very natural. Many of the tools are the same as I'd used in a real darkroom...only they work better. I'm still in Photoshop every day, at least a little. I also have Photoshop Elements (a reduced feature set, simplified Photoshop), and Lightroom Classic. I'd probably suggest Lightroom over Elements, but as a full PS guy, I really don't use either much. It all depends on what you want to do, how involved you want to get, and what your photography background is.

I found them.. when you quick save to tablet you only get the jpg file. SD into computer and I get both.. now I'm looking for a good photo editor.. Thank you.
If you don't already have something to work with dng files, perhaps you don't need it anyway.
A lot of posts on these forums suggest that everyone should shoot raw and that you cannot get good images unless you do.
That's not true at all and for most drone flyers, jpg images are all you'll ever need.
You should know that you need to work with raw image files, before you start this.

Reactions: MS Coast and Poogan
I found them.. when you quick save to tablet you only get the jpg file. SD into computer and I get both.. now I'm looking for a good photo editor.. Thank you.
Lightroom Classic is super easy.

Reactions: jephoto
Actually .raw file is better than .dng pick what you like ?
A .dng file is a raw file. Digital Negative - Wikipedia
Most camera manufacturers have their own name on their proprietary raw files, like .nef, .crw, .arw, .nrw and so on.
But .dng is an open format, developed by Adobe.

Not so but it does have the .raw in the .dng file ?
The .dng is the raw file. A raw file is a raw image file that contains unprocessed or minimally processed data from the sensor. Whether it has the extension .dng .crw or .nef does not matter.

Your tablet most likely doesn't have a dng converter. Install one of those and you'll find the dng files to view. Be forwarned, they won't look very good at first sight

The .dng is the raw file. A raw file is a raw image file that contains unprocessed or minimally processed data from the sensor. Whether it has the extension .dng .crw or .nef does not matter.
Was only tryin to point out that .raw is larger with more info to play with ? I'm inanoter ggoup that was sayin .dng was the way to go, and seein I've always done .jpeg, and .raw I looked into it ? what I got was .raw is the way to go ?

Was only tryin to point out that .raw is larger with more info to play with ? I'm inanoter ggoup that was sayin .dng was the way to go, and seein I've always done .jpeg, and .raw I looked into it ? what I got was .raw is the way to go ?
Excuse my sticky keys

A RAW file is camera specific a DNG file is not. DNG can contain the same information as RAW, but can also employ lossless compression, so the file is often smaller that the same image as a RAW file. DNG is Adobe's open-source file type. Both RAW and DNG contain the original sensor image plus metadata. DNG is more universal and more applications can open them without any special profile. RAW files, because they're camera-sepcific, often require a profile to properly decode. There are hundreds of RAW profiles, no DNG profiles needed.

Again, the compression used in DNG is lossless, unlike .jpg. Yes, you can do just fine with .jpg. But since many drone images have a very wide dynamic range, DNG is often more adjustable because it includes the full sensor data, not the pre-processed version found in a .jpg.

For quick shots you're going to post, .jpg is probably fine if your exposure is pretty well done. I tweak everything, so DNG for me.

Reactions: rhberg
The whole problem was a friend that wants to inlarge and print for a wall in her house. Jpeg doesn't inlarge as well.. " my opinion "

The whole problem was a friend that wants to inlarge and print for a wall in her house. Jpeg doesn't inlarge as well.. " my opinion "
It depends on several factors. jpg/jpeg is a form of lossy “compression” (more correctly: data reduction) that reduces the total amount of data used to represent an image by not saving full information about every single pixel. Rather it duplicates similar adjacent pixels over a certain area, the size of which determines the degree of data reduction. Some cameras let the user choose a trade off between file size and detail. That means it’s not always correct to say a jpg won’t enlarge well. But certainly sometimes. Where sensor resolution exceeds lens resolution (as it can in drone cameras) a bit of lossy jpg reduction may have zero impact. But a raw/dng files also include the full sensor data dynamic range, which can exceed 24 bit color of a jpg, and clip highlights or crush shadows. Having that DR to work with in post can help recover highlights and shadows. But depending on the camera, lens and sensor combination, vs the degree of jpg loss, a raw/dng may or may not suffer a visible loss of resolution.

There are several applications that scale images using interpolation and now, AI. Some scaling is pretty good. I’ve tried Gigapixel from Topaz. Not bad, often amazing, and an occasional fail.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1