DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rainbow Banding in RAW images - Panoramic mode.

Jack Bish

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I am just doing some tests with my mavic 3 cine, and I am noticing an alarming 'rainbow banding' in the individual RAW images. The stitched panorama is un effected. If I select the individual images to be taken as a jpeg, this rainbow banding issue does not occur.

1) I understand the lighting conditions are a challenge, but why would the individual RAW images be effected and not the JPEG's when I repeat the test?
2) It is interesting how the stitched 360 pano is also un effected by this banding (I guess because it is created by Jpeg Proxies!).
3) I will repeat the test tomorrow outside in optimal lighting to see if the same issue occurs.

** Whilst writing this post and interrogating the images a little further I can see the perspectives of each individual image is different (between JPEG and RAW) so I assume the drone uses a certain camera for jpeg and raw OR it crops in on the sensor?

Thanks,

Attachments

• RAW image 1 of 360 1.png
    RAW image 1 of 360 1.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 360 stitch 2.png
    360 stitch 2.png
    5 MB · Views: 18
  • 360 1 stitch.png
    360 1 stitch.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 19
  • JPEG image 1 of 360 2.png
    JPEG image 1 of 360 2.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
UPDATE: Looks like I was a bit premature on this! When the RAW images are opened in Lightroom the banding does not exist. So this is a MAC problem and the way it reads DNG files in Preview/finder. However this still does not answer my question on the perspective difference between the RAW and JPEG images. I guess in RAW the Drone is using the entirety of the sensor whereas the JPEG is not? And if not, why not? The same amount of images are taken in a 360 pano regardless of the individual image file type.

Thanks again,

UPDATE: Looks like I was a bit premature on this! When the RAW images are opened in Lightroom the banding does not exist. So this is a MAC problem and the way it reads DNG files in Preview/finder. However this still does not answer my question on the perspective difference between the RAW and JPEG images. I guess in RAW the Drone is using the entirety of the sensor whereas the JPEG is not? And if not, why not? The same amount of images are taken in a 360 pano regardless of the individual image file type.

Thanks again,
This is something to do with the latest iOS FLY app update. Similar problems with the mini 3 pro RAW captures. If you have a downloaded copy of the previous app, uninstall the app and re-install the older version.

I am having the same problem. Some brief background:

1. I purchased a Mavic 3 Cine in June, 2022. All of its photo and video functions were normal, including RAW files that were rendered in the DNG format. I’ll call that drone “Mavic #1.”

2. As of February 27, 2023 all of the photo and video functions were still normal.

3. However, beginning with a project on March 2, 2023 all DNG files from the Mavic #1 had the banding you see in the sample.

4. At that point, I suspected that the Mavic #1 might be suffering a hardware failure. So I exchanged Mavic #1 for a new Mavic under the DJI Care Refresh program. I’ll call that drone Mavic #2.

5. Unfortunately, Mavic #2 produced exactly the same banding.

6. The next step in my troubleshooting was to test different RAW conversion engines. (I use an Apple Studio computer, which normally uses the Apple RAW converter.) My normal image processing program is Affinity Photo, which allows you to switch between the Apple RAW converter and the Serif RAW converter.

7. When I switched to the Serif converter, the banding disappeared. I also uploaded a test image to an on-line RAW conversion website, and the banding disappeared in that case, too.

8. For a number of reasons, it’s inconvenient to use a non-Apple RAW converter on an Apple computer. I’d like the Apple engine to work the same way it did before March, 2023.

9. The Apple RAW converter is not causing problems for DNG files produced by other devices. The only problematic files are those produced by my Mavic 3.

10. In the time period beginning in February, 2023 to the present, there have been several firmware updates by DJI and MacOS updates by Apple. As suggested by the previous posters, could the problem have been created by these updates?

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
10. In the time period beginning in February, 2023 to the present, there have been several firmware updates by DJI and MacOS updates by Apple. As suggested by the previous posters, could the problem have been created by these updates?
Yes, the issue was caused by an Apple update.
It doesn't affect your image files, just the preview of the images.

I hadn't flown my Mavic 2 zoom in a few months, and yesterday I noticed the same problem. A search here found this thread. The rainbow stripes appeared on all still photos in RAW mode. Videos are normal. What is the solution?

I hadn't flown my Mavic 2 zoom in a few months, and yesterday I noticed the same problem. A search here found this thread. The rainbow stripes appeared on all still photos in RAW mode. Videos are normal. What is the solution?
There's nothing wrong with your image files.
The latest Apple software update will fix the issue with your previews.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr