DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

jamming trial UK

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
there will be a GPS Jamming Trial -Wales and South West England ,between the 19th to the 30th July
An associated NOTAM has been raised, for further info refer to the AIC at www.nats-uk.ead-it.com

The technicalities of these trials eludes me. I was hiking in a designated area during a previous jamming trial so I left my drone at home just in case. My tracks were successfully recorded using the GPS on my phone with no evidence of any gaps due to jamming. I'd still leave the drone at home just to be on the safe side if it happened again where I was intending to fly.?

Reactions: Chris4koi
I did not think that the GPS signals would be jammed as that would impact aircraft as well.
I believe they are jamming the frequencies that Occusynk (sp?) and other flight control frequencies that are used by the various remote controls.

I did not think that the GPS signals would be jammed as that would impact aircraft as well.
I believe they are jamming the frequencies that Occusynk (sp?) and other flight control frequencies that are used by the various remote controls.
In accordance with UK procedures for the control of non-operational jamming, this note gives notification of radio jamming and signal interference activity, to intentionally provide interference to Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) signals, including the Global Positioning System (GPS).

That might explain the increased helicopter activity in my area. Many more types around than normally flying from RAF Shawbury. Also quite a bit of low level night time activity (1.00am to 3.00am) woke me up twice GRRRRR!

That might explain the increased helicopter activity in my area. Many more types around than normally flying from RAF Shawbury. Also quite a bit of low level night time activity (1.00am to 3.00am) woke me up twice GRRRRR!
That's just a training exercise. More info:

"No.1 Flying Training School, based at RAF Shawbury, will be conducting essential night flying training from Monday 12th July for approximately 5 weeks.
Night flying is an essential skill needed for front-line operations, enabling aircrew to operate in the dark.
Crews will operate from RAF Shawbury throughout Low Flying Area 9, covering Shropshire and the borders of adjacent counties. Aircrew will train using Night Vision Devices, like those used on operations in hostile environments and for supporting emergencies such as the Whaley Bridge Dam in 2019."

Apologies if I'm being dense here but could you clarify for me. Does the interference trial simply mean that the Drone will not be able to access GPS and so it should be ok if it is within line of sight, or is it likely to go on an un-supervised wander if allowed to leave the ground and therefore it is not advisable to fly at all.

Reactions: old man mavic
Apologies if I'm being dense here but could you clarify for me. Does the interference trial simply mean that the Drone will not be able to access GPS and so it should be ok if it is within line of sight, or is it likely to go on an un-supervised wander if allowed to leave the ground and therefore it is not advisable to fly at all.
@CeeJayW these trials jam the GPS signal frequencies between the satellites and receivers of components that require a GPS signal to function ,such as sat navs, drones etc ,they are then unable to get a lock to determine their position
this will cause the drone to go into Atti mode ,it can still be controlled ,but it will not be able to function as normal ,and will not RTH as it will not know where home is ,without GPS, the drone will be at the mercy of the wind and it will not be able to hold position if the sticks are centered as it does normally ,

Many thanks for clarifying that for me. It's unlikely that I will be able to do much more than a few meters practice flight across a field in that time but since it will be direct line of sight I feel more confident that I can safely fly.

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661