DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Japanese lower weight batteries

@Steve56303 ,i dont believe there will be one, you have to remember the Mini 3 pro has a lot going on for the battery to power ,besides just the motors, and a big selling point was the flying time ,so putting a lower powered lighter battery in the Mini 3 pro ,would seriously shorten the flight time,and it would compromise the drones performance
maybe with the advent of the Mini 3 without obstacle avoidance ,DJI might decide to produce a under 200g drone and battery combination that is Japan specific

@Steve56303 ,i dont believe there will be one, you have to remember the Mini 3 pro has a lot going on for the battery to power ,besides just the motors, and a big selling point was the flying time ,so putting a lower powered lighter battery in the Mini 3 pro ,would seriously shorten the flight time,and it would compromise the drones performance
maybe with the advent of the Mini 3 without obstacle avoidance ,DJI might decide to produce a under 200g drone and battery combination that is Japan specific
There definitely won't be a lighter battery as Japan has now changed the rules to sub 100g drones instead of sub 200g. Yep... unbelievable but true Drone Laws in Japan [Updated September 29, 2022]

Reactions: old man mavic
@Sdrone31 and we think we have it bad, before long it will include paper aeroplanes, and the like

There definitely won't be a lighter battery as Japan has now changed the rules to sub 100g drones instead of sub 200g. Yep... unbelievable but true Drone Laws in Japan [Updated September 29, 2022]

That site you linked still lists sub 200g though ??

"JCAB defines “UA/Drone” as an airplane, rotorcraft, glider, or airship which cannot accommodate any person on board and can be remotely or automatically piloted. (Excluding those lighter than 200g. The weight of a UA/Drone includes that of its battery.)"

I went to the links in that page, and took a look at the Japanese airspace authority rules.

On this page . . . Civil Aviation Bureau:Japan’s safety rules on Unmanned Aircraft (UA)/Drones - MLIT Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism
It does say . . .

"The term “UA/Drone” means any airplane, rotorcraft, glider or airship which cannot accommodate any person on board and can be remotely or automatically piloted. (Excluding those lighter than 100g. The weight of a UA/Drone includes that of its battery.)

But that's from the year 2015 and the sub 200g there was in effect in at least recent 2 or 3 years I'm reasonably sure (from previous posts on here and other forums).

I can't easily find anything related to sub 200g either.

Their limit of flight on that page is 150m (492') too, otherwise permission needs to be gained for flight above this.
The rest of the rules are pretty common in most countries.

Can anyone point to the current weight restrictions, if any ?
Whether sub 200g, sub 100g, or other ?

Also not holding breath for a Japanese battery for the M2P, every site found for mini 2 Japanese battery says no stock.

Can anyone point to the current weight restrictions, if any ?
Whether sub 200g, sub 100g, or other ?

Well, I found some time do do some googling.
A few 'articles' have the new 100g limit mentioned, such as the DroneDJ article.

These article ARE from late 2020.

The above also mentions . . .

"This does not mean you will have to get a license to fly your drone. Just follow the above laws, and you can still fly like you usually would. However, the government is moving toward a future where pilots will have to be certified and the drone registered before it can legally take off. The government will keep a registry that will include the names and addresses of pilots. This is expected to become mandatory by 2022."

I always thought it was just about impossible to fly a drone in Japan 200g or over, back in that rule period, hence the mini 2 Japanese battery being introduced.
But the rules 2020 to supposedly 2022 sometime (June 2022 ?), seemed to be fairly lax, just follow their drone rules.
From a few people posting here once from Japan, they said it was almost impossible to get permission to fly anything heavier than 200g.

Has the Japanese Govco got this drone pilot certification / drone registration change off the ground yet ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent