DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

JDerrick from Terre Haute with some questions.

JDerrick

Reactions
Not having a drone yet. I am considering buying a DJI Mavic Air 2, or a DJI mini 2. At this point I am just wanting to fly recreationally.
I live in an area with controlled airspace. I already took the recreational test and passed. And I applied for a waiver to fly at a certain time this Saturday. It was approved. Though I do not have a drone yet. I was just wanting to find out if I can fly one, near where I live.
My first few questions are:
1. Do I have to take the 107 course and pass the test for a drone over 250 g, if I'm only going to fly it recreationally?
2. Does the FAA know what type of drone I am flying by the serial number?
3. Will the FAA know what type of drone I am flying from the RID?

Thanks for any responses to this matter.

Last edited:
1 no if for recreational flights
2 really don't think so .
3 Rid isn’t in affect yet.
If I’m wrong sure someone will correct me.
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hello from the Crossroads of America JDerrick.

1) No. You don't need to pass a Part 107 to fly recreationally. Just pay the five dollars and get your number.

2) No. I have the same number on my Spark and Mavic Air 2 since I fly recreationally.

3) I don't think the official RID has been implemented yet. There is a place in the app for RID, but it's not the same one. The one in the app can be detected by DJI's Aeroscope that some law enforcement agencies may have.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Thanks guys! I have been researching this for a few weeks now. The regulations are very confusing. The FAA makes it sound like anything over 250 g you have to have your 107 certification, period. Whether for recreational purposes or not.
I done paid the $5 and got recreational certification. I have the b4ufly and the aloft apps. downloaded.
I'm one to beat the horse to death before I ride it. I was really wanting to know if I could fly an expensive machine before buying it.
In the near future I would like to publish videos to YouTube. Hopefully someone could point me to the most comprehensive and cheapest school to study through to get my certification.

Oh and to the moderators. I'm sorry for my two inadvertent posts. I deleted them. Something was wrong, with the forum or my phone. I could not write anything to reply to anyone. Now I am home from work. I rebooted my phone soon as I got here and tried to get back on. It's working fine now.
Peace.

Last edited:
Welcome to the MavicPilots forum … Enjoy, and happy flying! ??

Greetings welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I have two MP's, but enjoy flying the MM2 more.

Reactions: Steel63
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99