DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jello video, tilted horizon, left prop in frame

lenabanana

Reactions
Having some issues with my new mavic that I did not previously experience.

Issues are more obvious in sport mode, I’m getting jello video, tilted horizon (seems straight enough in normal mode) and I can see the left prop in the frame (again mostly in sport mode)

Video attached, no real wind today.

Have checked gimbal, all the hooks are properly locked and hooked.
Did a gimbal recalibration, camera reset, memory card format, controller relink and connecting to the bottom usb with a different cable with no improvements)

Any suggestions?

Edit to add: rotated the props and did a gimbal adjustment to +4, horizon seems to be improved - it’s almost as if it takes 5-10 seconds to level back out after any turn.
Jello video is unchanged and my biggest concern.

Last edited:
In sport mode it’s common to see a prop as the drone is angled down. More common on starting and stopping.

Jelly video is hard to say. I get it at times with both of my MPP drones. I feel some of it is rolling shutter issues from the ES shutter in the Mavic.

Tilted horizon very common even after a gimbal calibration. I allow the grids to display then make a quick manual gimbal adjustment. It stays level for the rest of the flight. Usually rest of the day. Very easy to adjust in flight.

Paul Caldwell

In sport mode it’s common to see a prop as the drone is angled down. More common on starting and stopping.

Jelly video is hard to say. I get it at times with both of my MPP drones. I feel some of it is rolling shutter issues from the ES shutter in the Mavic.

Paul Caldwell
Is it normal to see only one though? I feel like the entire drone is tilted since the left prop is visible and the horizon is also very slanted in the same direction.... it is always to the left, every flight. Always the left prop. I am flying straight in the video so if the mavic was simply tilted down - wouldn’t we see both props instead of one and a left tilt on horizon?

Last edited:
I’m getting jello video, tilted horizon (seems straight enough in normal mode) and I can see the left prop in the frame (again mostly in sport mode)
Do not know about the tilted horizon (could be one defective motor or propeller? Just guessing…), but the jello effect, which I get from time to time, disappears putting some weight on the lens, i.e. mounting a neutral filter (a ND 4 will perfectly do). I get 100% success with this addition.

Do not know about the tilted horizon (could be one defective motor or propeller? Just guessing…), but the jello effect, which I get from time to time, disappears putting some weight on the lens, i.e. mounting a neutral filter (a ND 4 will perfectly do). I get 100% success with this addition.
I have filters but would prefer not to use one 24/7. The mavic is new and under warranty - is this something I should potentially request a repair or replacement for? Seems like quite a few people have the issue but also doesn’t feel like we should have to put a “band aid” on a brand new $1000 drone.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
It’s definitely tilted to one side.

Question is, is it the gimbal or drone?

That is a lot of off tilt and would take a lot of gimbal adjust.

When you take off and hover what is the camera doing? Level or tilted. If it only happens while flying one of the local experts on this site would need to help.

Might be a good idea to open a case with DJI as you mentioned you are under warranty.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: Former Member
You most likely have a gimbal issue. I highly doubt it is anything related to the aircraft.

First, the aircraft cannot be tilted and fly straight. The thrust vector would be causing it to drift severely to the side. Also if the gimbal was working normally you wouldn’t even see the tilt because the gimbal would compensate.

Jello is a hint. Double check your little rubber bands and gimbal operation. If everything looks in order, and calibrations are ineffective, send it back.

Jello is not normal and unacceptable with the Mavic.

Last edited:
You most likely have a gimbal issue. I highly doubt it is anything related to the aircraft.

First, the aircraft cannot be tilted and fly straight. The thrust vector would be causing it to drift severely to the side. Also if the gimbal was working normally you wouldn’t even see the tilt because the gimbal would compensate.

Jello is a hint. Double check your little rubber bands and gimbal operation. If everything looks in order, and calibrations are ineffective, send it back.

Jello is not normal and unacceptable with the Mavic.
as far as I can tell all the elastics are on fine.

Also it’s doing some weird “jumping” things.
Here’s another video that shows some weird behavior and the horizon goes way off kilter at about 52 seconds after a little “jump” of the camera.

It’s definitely tilted to one side.

Question is, is it the gimbal or drone?

That is a lot of off tilt and would take a lot of gimbal adjust.

When you take off and hover what is the camera doing? Level or tilted. If it only happens while flying one of the local experts on this site would need to help.

Might be a good idea to open a case with DJI as you mentioned you are under warranty.

Paul Caldwell
It start off straight and then tips once I start flying or turning. I’ve noticed the gimbal does some weird “jumps” almost as if it’s getting caught on something but I have inspected the gimbal and that seems unlikely.

I closely examined the gimbal and there are two things that might be the issue?
Can someone chime in and let me know if their own mavic is the same way?
The first is that the little metal cables things to the left of the lens - most seem straight and bundled but there are a few that are kinda curved?
7FD678B1-211F-45BD-B024-1F17296B276C.jpeg

The second thing is that the back of the camera seems to graze the rear hook a bit when it pivots? I hear a little scrape when I manually move the camera back and forth and the back hook has a small amount of scratches on it.
CAAB6B04-5534-4E8D-B641-FF6A8DD28DE9.jpeg

Can anyone check their own mavic and let me know if this is normal?
I have heard horror stories about dji repair so I’d love to avoid sending it in if possible.

Flight today (with 13mph) winds is even worse. Got a “land ASAP” warning and the jumping is much worse than yesterday. See video, I am not touching the gimbal at all during this flight - it is jumping around like that on its own

Attachments

• 02C5640C-8A0E-4B60-A4BB-59A62BD9C45C.jpeg
    02C5640C-8A0E-4B60-A4BB-59A62BD9C45C.jpeg
    942.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
... The second thing is that the back of the camera seems to graze the rear hook a bit when it pivots? I hear a little scrape when I manually move the camera back and forth and the back hook has a small amount of scratches on it.
When the gimbal is hanging down, (aircraft upright) nothing should scrape or contact. It should be completely smooth and uninhibited.
If you move it around with the aircraft upside down, it will rub on the back a bit.

When the gimbal is hanging down, (aircraft upright) nothing should scrape or contact. It should be completely smooth and uninhibited.
If you move it around with the aircraft upside down, it will rub on the back a bit.
If I apply the SLIGHTEST pressure while pivoting it it scrapes. I’m confident that the wind / flight speed would be putting more pressure on it than I am with my finger so maybe that’s the issue?
I’ll try and bend the hook up a bit more and report back.

If I apply the SLIGHTEST pressure while pivoting it it scrapes. I’m confident that the wind / flight speed would be putting more pressure on it than I am with my finger so maybe that’s the issue?
I’ll try and bend the hook up a bit more and report back.
Yep give it a try.

I understand your reluctance to send it back to DJI, but only other choice
would be, live with it, reoair it yourself, or pay to have it repaired by a good third party such as @Thunderdrones

I use mine commercially, and I think I would choose either number 2 or 3 even it we’re still under warranty, based on the horror stories.

Last edited:
Yep give it a try.

I understand your reluctance to send it back to DJI, but only other choice
would be, live with it, reoair it yourself, or pay to have it repaired by a good third party such as @Thunderdrones.
No dice, no improvement.

I did open a dji repair case but I’ve heard horror stories.
Also my serial number comes up as “unavailable” when I started the repair so it’s making me a bit nervous.
D2465442-8E33-4EA6-8018-B7CC150EF513.jpeg

No dice, no improvement.

Also my serial number comes up as “unavailable” when I started the repair so it’s making me a bit nervous.
View attachment 39367
Maybe @Thunderdrones can advise you as to an opinion and how much it might cost. I understand he is reasonable and quick. He’ll read this and reply I’m sure.

I’ll be using him if the need ever arises.

No dice, no improvement.

View attachment 39367
Yeah, that’s weird about the serial number thing.
And did you say it was brand new to you and never been crashed?

Maybe @Thunderdrones can advise you as to an opinion and how much it might cost. I understand he is reasonable and quick. He’ll read this and reply I’m sure.

I’ll be using him if the need ever arises.
Yes I’ve dealt with him in the past and have no complaints but this drone is 8 days old. I wonder if I can request a replacement rather than a repair since it’s under 15 days.

Yes I’ve dealt with him in the past and have no complaints but this drone is 8 days old. I wonder if I can request a replacement rather than a repair since it’s under 15 days.
Dont know, but I’d sure be trying.
Direct from DJI or a big box?

Dont know, but I’d sure be trying.
Direct from DJI or a big box?
I got it from someone new and sealed. Their terms don’t mention having to get it from a specific retailer. I’ll call tomorrow and go from there. Thanks for the help!

I got it from someone new and sealed. Their terms don’t mention having to get it from a specific retailer. I’ll call tomorrow and go from there. Thanks for the help!
Sorry for your troubles an keep us posted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS