DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
In certain resolutions and frame rates however, it will only record in H.265, there is no choice. Usually the higher resolution and frame rate. On my Mavic Air 2, you can only shoot 4K/60fps in H.265. Then if you change the frame rate or resolution to a lower setting that has the ability to encode in H.264, you have to go in and manually change it back to H.264 from H.265. It doesn't remember the encoding from what you previously used on the lower settings.

I'm pretty sure I can record H264 in any format with the Mavic 3.

SethB - Thanks for letting me know the 2012 Mac does not have the h.265 hardware encoding…
Decoding. A 2012 Mac doesn’t have h.265 decoding in hardware. Encoding happens during recording (or render/ export/ transcoding, but that doesn’t have to be real-time on the fly like recording).
…I would not know how to upgrade software decoders anyway. I do have a HP laptop running Windows 11, but have no idea if it can handle 5.1k video since I use it for other things and never did much on it with photos or videos...
Upgrade of a software decoder is as simple as downloading the latest version of VLC Media Player, another player, or, your favorite video editing program.

Brand is more about consistency & that the card can deliver what the manufacturer promises... Sandisk is usually a safe choice.

But more important is that you choose the right speed class for the task ... videoing in high resolution & frame rate require fast cards, below what's needed... & what you should find printed on the card.

View attachment 154914
Thank you slup. I always pay attention to the speed class and the UHS & Video speed class. I became accustomed to that when shooting photos with my digital camera years ago. That is a great little chart. Sorry for taking so long to respond. Among other things, my wife wanted to 'spruce up' a small half bath we have, so I have been busy stripping wallpaper, patching holes and nail pops, sanding, and I had to thoroughly tape the walls since we had a water leak from an upstairs bathroom that came through the floor/ceiling and the ceiling in this small bathroom was water stained badly. It has a popcorn ceiling, so yesterday I redid some of that and may have to do just a tad more today. Then, once that is all done, I need to paint the walls and then replace a vanity light fixture my wife broke. She ordered a new one and it arrived a couple days ago. Back to drones, I certainly appreciate all your help. I did combine the three 2.39 minute videos from a flight I did using Final Cut Pro and it came out beautiful, smooth video, and no transitions among the three videos. I did it in 3 various formats and they all worked out well. I did another quick flight yesterday using 4k and 60 fps and it did a fine job as well, but it, too, automatically broke it up into 3 separate video parts. I am in the process of combining them into one video as well and then will see how it turns out. Yes, thanks to you and others, I have determined and agree that my iMac is old enough that it cannot process and play back 5.1 k video I had originally recorded with my new Mavic 3. I was quite relieved knowing that, and my Mavic 3 was just fine. I guess it was my lack of knowledge about the processing and playback of videos on my older iMac. The people on this site are fantastic and very, very much appreciated. Thank you once again. Tom

Decoding. A 2012 Mac doesn’t have h.265 decoding in hardware. Encoding happens during recording (or render/ export/ transcoding, but that doesn’t have to be real-time on the fly like recording).

Upgrade of a software decoder is as simple as downloading the latest version of VLC Media Player, another player, or, your favorite video editing program.
SethB - thank you for the simple explanation of upgrading a software decoder. I certainly have a lot to learn about recording videos and processing them. I have used Final Cut Pro and combined all three parts of my originally Mavic 3 recording once I change it over to a 4k video. The combined video is smooth as silk and plays very well. Thank goodness it was my own lack of knowledge and stupidity about my original 5.1k video recording and that my new Mavic 3 is OK and operates as it should, especially after paying that much money. However, the credit card company bank owns it right now until I get it paid off over the next 12 months, but luckily interest free. Thanks agin for all your help and sorry for the late reply. Oh, I did do another short video yesterday and that time I did it as a 4k 60 fps recording. It seems to have worked out very well and Final Cut Pro just finished combining the three parts of that one. The video looks quite well, possibly just a tad of hesitation in the flow of the flight on occasion. The resolution, color, sharpness, contrast, and lighting with the Hasselblad camera is fantastic. I have so much to learn about using the two cameras on the Mavic 3, but hope to get much, much better over time. Thank you once again. Tom

Bottom right in the Fly app, you can tap to choose video resolution, encoding, white balance etc. Right beside it you can tap for exposure settings (when set to pro mode, which you obviously should do!).

H264 creates larger files, but I'm sure your computer will handle them more easily.
ZmoothOperator - Thank you soooo much for the tips and directions on the Fly app. I have a lot to learn and these directions are most helpful. I will have to check them out next time I take a flight and to a recording. I can only learn so much by reading the 'manual' which is essentially not much at all. I am most appreciative of your advice, comments, and very helpful tips and directions. Thank you. Now, I am really looking forward to making my next flight and recording! I can hardly wait to see how it turns out!!! Thank you. Tom

In certain resolutions and frame rates however, it will only record in H.265, there is no choice. Usually the higher resolution and frame rate. On my Mavic Air 2, you can only shoot 4K/60fps in H.265. Then if you change the frame rate or resolution to a lower setting that has the ability to encode in H.264, you have to go in and manually change it back to H.264 from H.265. It doesn't remember the encoding from what you previously used on the lower settings.
Hi Again - When I was using Final Cut Pro I ran across a setting somewhere about using h.264 or h.265. Now, I admit, I do not remember where that was, but I believe I was combining three video clips separated from from one flight. I'm pretty sure I used H.264 and the combined full length flight turned out very well. Now if I can somehow go back into Final Cut Pro and find out where that choice came up. Thanks again. Tom

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore