DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky video on M2P

Phone is a low res cache. What model/year of MBP and what video card? How much RAM.

my Macs have no problem showing full res and frame rate with a bunch of apps open.

Reactions: Aikidoamigo
What Mac OS are you running? Mac was slow to get h.265 support. Blu-ray Player may work on you mbp and h.265 fog.

Based on what I've read, it seems my MBP can't process h.265, so I'll give h.264 a whirl and see what happens. Also, my SD card was "slow", so I ordered a new version SD Extreme Pro just for the heck of it... Thanks for the reply!

As per your screen shot, the computer may still give you problems even with h.264. The graphics processor is the biggest roadblock. It should have at least 4GB of memory; but mostly, if you go shopping for a new one, you may want to dig deep to find out what GPU it has, then go to the web site for that manufactures' processor to see if the GPU decodes h.265 (otherwise, it would be a software decode, which would be problematic again).

Also showing age: the old-generation i5 CPU (go for 9th gen i7), old speed RAM (go for DDR5).

With your current computer, look into proxies. That's where you get your editing software to down-transcodes your videos for editing so playback and scrubbing is smooth and saves the "slow" work with the 4K files for final rendering, where you can let that go while you sleep / leave the house). Di Vinci Resolve calls it "optimized media".

Chris

Reactions: 25Vettes
That shouldn't matter much. That's just different wrappers. The actual video is the same.
It would only matter if the player/editor wasn't compatible at all with one or the other.

If it's any help 4K .MOV files play OK on my Lenovo ThinkPad (i7) but are very jerky on the HP Laptop (i5). Both computers have basic onboard video chipsets but the i7 is obviously handling everything a lot better.

Last edited:
If it's any help .MOV files play OK on my Lenovo ThinkPad (i7) but are very jerky on the HP Laptop (i5). Both computers have basic onboard video chipsets but the i7 is obviously handling everything a lot better.

Thanks for the reply.... I'm going to try recording in h.264 and with a better memory card first.... if that doesn't work, then an upgrade will be on the horizon. After all Christmas is only 57 days away!

Reactions: deleted member 877
If it's any help 4K .MOV files play OK on my Lenovo ThinkPad (i7) but are very jerky on the HP Laptop (i5). Both computers have basic onboard video chipsets but the i7 is obviously handling everything a lot better.
What generation i series do you have for each?

i5 is Intel. There's no "i" for AMD processor so your HP laptop is not an i5.

I'm not sure which, but I asked because as I understand, the newer Intel processors/chipsets have better graphics processing including hardware h.265 decode.

I don't deal with AMD processors so can't say anything about it.

i5 is Intel. There's no "i" for AMD processor. I'm not sure which, but I asked because as I understand, the newer Intel processors/chipsets have better graphics processing including hardware h.265 decode.

Yeah, I know - I forgot that it was actually an AMD chip. I remember the guy at the store said that it was similar to an i5 in terms of general performance. These machines belong to my employer - if/when I get serious about editing videos I'll get something with lots of CPU and GPU capability.

I don't know why Intel started the "i" class. It generally specifies number of cores and hyperthreading, but does little to specify clock speed and features. You need generation for that. Even then there's subclasses within i type and generation. Even laptop vs PC will change the game.

Yeah, I know - I forgot that it was actually an AMD chip. I remember the guy at the store said that it was similar to an i5 in terms of general performance. These machines belong to my employer - if/when I get serious about editing videos I'll get something with lots of CPU and GPU capability.
I recommend a 2019 MacBook Pro. I’ve always been a Windows guy, and I could take or leave the OS, but this thing is like getting a breath of fresh air after doing a long free dive (maybe not an analogy everyone gets). Mine seriously blazes through even 4K/60 video. If you can wait until next year when the new version comes out there should be some great deals on 2019 models.

I recommend a 2019 MacBook Pro. I’ve always been a Windows guy, and I could take or leave the OS, but this thing is like getting a breath of fresh air after doing a long free dive (maybe not an analogy everyone gets). Mine seriously blazes through even 4K/60 video. If you can wait until next year when the new version comes out there should be some great deals on 2019 models.
NO not unless you need portability. The graphics performance of the 2019 macbook pro compared to the2019 i9 iMac with upgraded VEGA graphics desktop is poor. Macbook is hideously overpriced as well.

I have a late 2013 MB Pro
2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB
I still get occasional jerky video in 265 DLOG M!!

I am upgrading to iMac 2019 3.6 i9 I7 with vega upgrade, I will be adding 128Gb RAM when it arrives. Apple state it can only take 64 but it will take 128.
Vega graphics are new and run cooler, this allows more of the common heatsink for CPU/GPU to be used for the I9 which removes temp throttling on the CPU.
Should be future proof for 5 - 6 years.

Reactions: 25Vettes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78