DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Joined dark area lines where vertical manual panoramas images are joined.

I have not had this but I have to say, PS and LR really lack of some upgrade to their panorama stitching anyway (especially with something wider than 180° and missing projections).
If you do it with PTGUI (Pro) you have a lot more control, even what part of the image should or should not be used (good for moving objects, etc.).

But I've encountered this too, when you try to use the DNG in PTGUI, the software cannot resolve the vignetting and therefore leave this dirty shadows in the overlapping areas (for whatever reason). So I normally export everything to 16 bit TIFF for stitching and get perfect results with blending. You can then re-import it into LR/PS and do the Camera RAW editing still (ok, you loose the exact temperature reading like 5600K but instead get a slider to blue/yellow, but that's the only downside so far).

However stitching within LR/PS I've always used DNG and never ran into your problems even if the images have different exposures (which is not ideal, but still should work).

Reactions: Forestjim
PTGui doesnt read DNG edits internally which is why its unable to resolve that. As you said, fix then TIFF is a messy but functional workaround.

Ultimately the only "solution" in the 12mp is to substantially crop both left and right edges to remove the vignette. Thats going to require a lot more overlap and a lot more images to produce the same pano. It works but really isn't efficient.

All of this is likely 1 line of bad firmware code failing to write the lens correction profile in the DNG so in THEORY should be a very very simple fix.

All of this is likely 1 line of bad firmware code failing to write the lens correction profile in the DNG so in THEORY should be a very very simple fix.
I am quite sure about that.
It would be even better if DJI would put a bit more time into their code to fully unlock advanced panorama to match the gimbals capabilities. Can't be to hard for them, I think yet I guess we'll never see that - at least not before some competitor is going to implement it. 😆

The pre-final firmware image samples didn't have the issue so i suspect its a bug thats slipped in with the release firmware.
I think a lot of the not-using-full-gimbal is they're using their own SDK which applies to all the drones so simply using the gimbal angles that work for *all* models to re-use code.

It makes rollout of apps and features far easier (but fails to take advantage of newer features for that reason).
The Mini 3 in theory has potential to do near full 360 spheres with its gimbal...But it doesnt - looks to use +15deg or so max.
Again once they bother releasing the SDK, 3rd party apps like Litchi may well be able to use this functionality even if DJI Fly wont.

Im pretty optimistic here - all my major gripes with the drone are software based. The hardware to me seems very good.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I went out today for more testing. Well, as much as one battery will get me. I'm still waiting for my two other big ones to get here.

I took all vertical single raw shots today in both verticle and horizontal.

I joined them into a panorama in Lightroom, and there was not one band line on the images!!!!!

I'm scratching my head now, seeing how bad the band lines have been for me for the past week. Here is a 12 mp 6 image vertical raw pano joined with Lightroom.

One thing I did do different today. I removed Lens Hood and put it back in... Just saying 6 shot s.jpg

Last edited:
Found something else pointing to a software bug here.

I did an auto 180 pano and kept the 12mp raw files.
Those do *NOT* have the vignetting at all and stitch in software with no banding.

So it seems the single 12mp mode lacks the correction but other 12mp modes keep it.

I haven't tried AEB or the 3x3 pano yet as its dark outside but it really does look like one, very specific bug affecting 1 specific mode.

Ok. I've done with testing. Looks like 12mp raw single and AEB vignette & more noticeable when the multi-images are stitched. All others don't inc. auto raw panorama. Here is a 48mp raw 3 shot verticle joined Lightroom. I cropped the image to 16:9. This is how I'm going to do my panoramas until there is a firmware update. Hamo 3 shot Vert 48mp.jpg

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Just replied to this on the DJI forum but basically it shows its got to be a firmware/software bug as it IS writing correctly to pano images but not to 12 single or AEB 12mp.
That SHOULD be a simple firmware fix.
Im going to have to use the auto 180 option now and just take my images from those collected as i dont find the 48mp quality in terms of sharpness and artefacts acceptable for daily use.

I went out today for more testing. Well, as much as one battery will get me. I'm still waiting for my two other big ones to get here.

I took all vertical single raw shots today in both verticle and horizontal.

I joined them into a panorama in Lightroom, and there was not one band line on the images!!!!!

I'm scratching my head now, seeing how bad the band lines have been for me for the past week. Here is a 12 mp 6 image vertical raw pano joined with Lightroom.

One thing I did do different today. I removed Lens Hood and put it back in... Just saying View attachment 149950
Very encouraging. Thanks for your diligence. This is without the lens hood? That could definitely affect vignetting.

I still see some shading, but it's well concealed by the subject matter.

Removing all vignetting before stitching seems essential, however it's done.

What are the pixel dimensions of this finished image?

Very encouraging. Thanks for your diligence. This is without the lens hood? That could definitely affect vignetting.

I still see some shading, but it's well concealed by the subject matter.

Removing all vignetting before stitching seems essential, however it's done.

What are the pixel dimensions of this finished image?
I ran some tests and removing the hood doesn't change anything about the vignetting problem. If there was a problem with the hood, then the 48MP files would suffer from the same problem which is not the case.

Also trying to remove the vignetting of the 12MP DNGs before stitching (in Lightroom) doesn't work and still results in bandings:
042722uzss323lm2k2c6k2.jpg

So the only solution to create panoramas at the moment is either using the 12MP JPGs or the 48MP DNG/JPG files, it won't work with the 12MP DNGs.

I ran some tests and removing the hood doesn't change anything about the vignetting problem. If there was a problem with the hood, then the 48MP files would suffer from the same problem which is not the case.

Also trying to remove the vignetting of the 12MP DNGs before stitching (in Lightroom) doesn't work and still results in bandings:
042722uzss323lm2k2c6k2.jpg

So the only solution to create panoramas at the moment is either using the 12MP JPGs or the 48MP DNG/JPG files, it won't work with the 12MP DNGs.
Darn. That's the main reason I want a Mini 3. At least with AEB, you'll have at least one properly exposed JPG per image segment. I find the JPGs from my Mini 2 to be pretty malleable.

The jpgs are fine and have no vignette.

Its the raw files that do.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honzax