DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Joy Stick Calibration

Lets Fly

Reactions
I calibrated the controller joy sticks last night because my nearly two year Mavic Air 1 is now turning or continuing to turn when I let go of the stick.
I was flying today and it was still doing the same thing. Mainly when I sit still to take a still shot while lining up it wants to drift left or right.
Any other cause of this besides the calibration? The sticks are solid and snap back to center like new.

Have you tryed doing an IMU calibration.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
AHH who doesn't like spanky. I did the calibration but in my house and on a chair (i don't think it was level enough). I tried it, same problem turning slowly right. I read you should calibrate away from anything, so i am going to try again
outside on some wood away from the house. It tells you to lay it on a flat surface, but then you see you have to turn it standing on its side but thats easy enough to do even with the blades on.
I'll try again tomorrow. Right now getting my observatory opened for some astro photography. Finally got a clear night.
Fly safe.

AHH who doesn't like spanky. I did the calibration but in my house and on a chair (i don't think it was level enough). I tried it, same problem turning slowly right. I read you should calibrate away from anything, so i am going to try again
outside on some wood away from the house. It tells you to lay it on a flat surface, but then you see you have to turn it standing on its side but thats easy enough to do even with the blades on.
I'll try again tomorrow. Right now getting my observatory opened for some astro photography. Finally got a clear night.
Fly safe.
Well enjoy your clear nite and hate that didn’t do it. When you do another do be sure it’s level and recal everything incuding
the compass.Might not help but if you don’t exhaust all the
simple stuff which is what I always do ya never know,
?

Well enjoy your clear nite and hate that didn’t do it. When you do another do be sure it’s level and recal everything incuding
?
Tried the calibration again outside on a level surface. I did a test flight and all seems to be working well. I also calibrated the joy sticks again, and compass.
Thanks for the suggestion, I believe i will do that more often.I am still wondering if the controller can get dirt or dust inside the joy stick mechanism.
This i believe could also affect performance, and wether there is a lubricant that can be applied. I am sure I can look that up wether its spring loaded
or rubber bands??

Reactions: dirkclod
Just watched two videos on taking apart the controller for Mavic Air, (something I have no desire to do),
but nether one took the joy sticks apart to see inside. Just curious so I'll keep looking.

Just watched two videos on taking apart the controller for Mavic Air, (something I have no desire to do),
but nether one took the joy sticks apart to see inside. Just curious so I'll keep looking.
Might be mistaken but thought it’s magnetic.

Might be mistaken but thought it’s magnetic.
Really, that never crossed my mind. Seems like there would be interference with the drone compass if you were close while calibrating.
Time to hit the books on this just to know.
Thanks again for your help dirkclod.

Really, that never crossed my mind. Seems like there would be interference with the drone compass if you were close while calibrating.
Time to hit the books on this just to know.
Thanks again for your help dirkclod.
I might be bad wrong about that but really seems I read it in here. As far as lubricating them I would think that was a no no.

Reactions: Drone Master
The only thing I have found is in the Phantom, spring loaded. Some guys were taking the out so they could fly without the stick re-centering.
They say its because that's how they learned to fly. I would find that troublesome.

Look about 2:14 in this and you can see alittle of the back
of the sticks. Maybe @Drone Master can say if they are spring loaded.

Reactions: Drone Master
The only thing I have found is in the Phantom, spring loaded. Some guys were taking the out so they could fly without the stick re-centering.
They say its because that's how they learned to fly. I would find that troublesome.
Yes, there are springs that center the sticks. The magnet at the end of the stick rides over a sensor located on the PC board below it. There are no electrical connections to the sticks. Only mechanical movement.
5C638037-E225-4042-A5D6-287AF15027BE.jpeg

?
Flew again today and same problem again. Wants to turn right once I hit the stick. I can hold it and stop it until I turn again. (Only Right).

Flew again today and same problem again. Wants to turn right once I hit the stick. I can hold it and stop it until I turn again. (Only Right).
Got me. Seems strange it worked ok then not now. Just throwing a rock but do you ware a watch that might be
magnetized . Something is making it do that i just can't figure out what it is not having to have had to deal with this issue.
I would try recalibrating everything again.
Might just be a issue with your controller. Would be nice if you had someone close by you could use there's to see if it did the same thing with it.

Got me. Seems strange it worked ok then not now. Just throwing a rock but do you ware a watch that might be
magnetized . Something is making it do that i just can't figure out what it is not having to have had to deal with this issue.
I would try recalibrating everything again.
Might just be a issue with your controller. Would be nice if you had someone close by you could use there's to see if it did the same thing with it.
Yeah, thanks dirkclod, I'm going to do it all over again carefully. Funny I realized its happening after I just bought two new batteries.
I don't think that's it but i still have one of my old batteries that's good. I'll try that just to cross it off my list.
To be continued.

Yeah, thanks dirkclod, I'm going to do it all over again carefully. Funny I realized its happening after I just bought two new batteries.
I don't think that's it but i still have one of my old batteries that's good. I'll try that just to cross it off my list.
To be continued.
That’s what I do is try everything easy then look here and before I
do anything else I contact Steive @djidroneservice who are venders
here and have him get one of his tech’s to see what they say.
They have helped me before and cured issues but have also used them for stuff. Can’t beat em. Good luck.?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada