DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jpg vs RAW on Mavic 2 Pro

Grtday

Reactions
Just found out that Adobe Premiere Pro will not import, nor allow me to view the RAW images I shot in the "Save as .jpg and RAW" setting. Adobe is telling me that I need to open/save those in Photoshop. Twice the workflow!
Boy...Is this dumb or what?
So, I guess I do twice the work or just shoot only .jpg and/or do screen grabs when I have a need for a still.
What do y'all think about this?
Does anyone have a workaround?
Thanks and fly cheerfully!
Tom

I think it makes sense that it would be best to edit video footage in a dedicated video editor like Premiere, and edit RAW images in a dedicated RAW editor like Photoshop/ACR. To my knowledge, Premiere isn't set up to do much with still photos. I imagine most people have their video work flow, and their photo work flow separate - that is how I operate anyway.

If you do screen grabs you are going to be limited to low resolution ~8MP images and they aren't going to be RAWs, which may not be what you want - especially on a M2P I would want that full 20MP image.

If all you want to do is save the RAWs as JPEGs after a flight, you can do it all as a batch process in Photoshop and it will take no time at all. You could even apply a custom color and distortion profile beforehand. But if you are shooting in RAW + JPEG you already have the JPEG - so you can go through them and if you aren't happy with a particular JPEG, grab the corresponding RAW and pop that into Photoshop/ACR for a quick edit.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
Wanting to use the saved as RAWimage files in Premiere? Im guessing your fiddling with time-lapse's. Check out LRTimelapse. The demo version will give you full functionality with a 400 frame limit. Enough to give you a feel for it.

Just found out that Adobe Premiere Pro will not import, nor allow me to view the RAW images I shot in the "Save as .jpg and RAW" setting. Adobe is telling me that I need to open/save those in Photoshop. Twice the workflow!
Boy...Is this dumb or what?
So, I guess I do twice the work or just shoot only .jpg and/or do screen grabs when I have a need for a still.
What do y'all think about this?
Does anyone have a workaround?
Thanks and fly cheerfully!
Tom
I too use LRTimelapse, Lightroom (and indeed Photoshop if needed). I'm not surprised you can't open RAW DNG's in Premier. It's a video editing app. Try Lightroom for editing and import into Premier to produce your video.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Thanks to all for your insights. This learning curve is so prodigious!

I think it makes sense that it would be best to edit video footage in a dedicated video editor like Premiere, and edit RAW images in a dedicated RAW editor like Photoshop/ACR. To my knowledge, Premiere isn't set up to do much with still photos. I imagine most people have their video work flow, and their photo work flow separate - that is how I operate anyway.

If you do screen grabs you are going to be limited to low resolution ~8MP images and they aren't going to be RAWs, which may not be what you want - especially on a M2P I would want that full 20MP image.

If all you want to do is save the RAWs as JPEGs after a flight, you can do it all as a batch process in Photoshop and it will take no time at all. You could even apply a custom color and distortion profile beforehand. But if you are shooting in RAW + JPEG you already have the JPEG - so you can go through them and if you aren't happy with a particular JPEG, grab the corresponding RAW and pop that into Photoshop/ACR for a quick edit.
And it does..but such an additional workload!

As long as your sequence isn't too demanding with lots of light changes etc, you can batch process quite easily in Lightroom, open Premiere and create your finished movie with just those two steps. If you have demanding lighting conditions, that's when LRTimelapse can help enormously. LRTimelapse is a tad fiddly but the results are brilliant. They have a trial you can use indefinitely as long as sequences are 400 images or less.

You have the ability to work with .DNG as an option. You can always stick to JPG for images and even rely on the GO app to build your hyperlapse if that suits. I think it’s awesome that those who want quick results can get them and those who feel like putting in the extra to have more control and often better results are also catered for. Have you looked at the standard in app automated hyoerlapse? It may be good enough for you and save a lot on fiddling.

If you’re shooting RAW, the whole point is to be able to post-process the images using something like LR or Photoshop. For me, the hyperlapse workflow is simple. Import the files into LR, pick a hero frame and process it in the Develop module, copy the settings to the other frames, select the whole batch and export as 16 bit TIFF. Import those into Premier or FCPX and create the video.

And if you don’t want to use Lightroom for whatever reason, you can also browse to the files in Bridge (which comes free with both LR and Premiere subscriptions) and open the files in Adobe Camera Raw and process them there.

I had a friend send me some clips shot with his M2P shot in d-log 265 and the clips were blown out but in post I could get almost all the colors back very impressed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini