DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jumping Gimbal - Video Examples - any thoughts?

westwind77

Reactions
I have a MPP and use it occasionally, never had a crash or any kind of hard landing. It is always stored with the plastic clip securing the gimbal when not in flight and stored in a case. The other day I had it out on a flight and noticed the gimbal would all of a sudden 'jump'. I know once I was adjusting it, but the other two times I believe there was no input for motion. I got to thinking and I believe this is the first flight that I have taken since I updated to the latest firmware (I flew at Christmas but nothing since then due to winter). Both the remote and MPP are up to date. Here are 3 example of the issues...any thoughts on what the problem could be (hardware / software)?

Has there been any reported issues like this on the latest releases? I re-loaded the firmware to see if that makes a difference for next time, but if there is an issue that I can fix I would love to know!

Thanks!

Reminds me of the mid flight gimbal reset problem but doesn’t seem as bad. If updating the FW is the only recent change, I’d roll back and see what happens.

I have a MPP and use it occasionally, never had a crash or any kind of hard landing. It is always stored with the plastic clip securing the gimbal when not in flight and stored in a case. The other day I had it out on a flight and noticed the gimbal would all of a sudden 'jump'. I know once I was adjusting it, but the other two times I believe there was no input for motion. I got to thinking and I believe this is the first flight that I have taken since I updated to the latest firmware (I flew at Christmas but nothing since then due to winter). Both the remote and MPP are up to date. Here are 3 example of the issues...any thoughts on what the problem could be (hardware / software)?

Has there been any reported issues like this on the latest releases? I re-loaded the firmware to see if that makes a difference for next time, but if there is an issue that I can fix I would love to know!

Thanks!

Are you yawing and then releasing the gimbal tilt wheel when this happens?

Reminds me of the mid flight gimbal reset problem but doesn’t seem as bad. If updating the FW is the only recent change, I’d roll back and see what happens.
I am not aware of this issue? I'm assuming it was on a prior firmware and corrected?

Are you yawing and then releasing the gimbal tilt wheel when this happens?
The video only shows 3 examples, there were a few more as well. Some happened when flying forward slowly with no other inputs. Others happened while panning up. There does not seem to be a coloration between what inputs are being fed to the drone and when it is happening though. The jumps seem more vertical than anything though.

I am not aware of this issue? I'm assuming it was on a prior firmware and corrected?

The video only shows 3 examples, there were a few more as well. Some happened when flying forward slowly with no other inputs. Others happened while panning up. There does not seem to be a coloration between what inputs are being fed to the drone and when it is happening though. The jumps seem more vertical than anything though.

I have two ideas but might totally off but you never know.

1) what SD card are you using? I’ve been tracking the issue talked about above and it is an SD issue (don’t ask me how an SD card affects the gimbal cause I don’t know but it does)

2) That motion looks very similar to the manual gimbal horizon adjustment short cut. Is it at all possible you could be touching the right hand trigger button and hitting the right hand dial (the one that adjusts exposure) at the same time.

Clicking and holding the right trigger button (C1?) and then scrolling on the right dial wheel is a short cut for adjusting the horizon tilt. When you do it makes the gimbal jump in a ghastly terrible way. I wonder if it’s possible you could be a accidently touching these controls without even realizing or clutching the remote too tightly during a critical maneuver like flying slow or tilting the gimbal? I know I do sometimes

Reactions: westwind77
I agree with brett8883 check the write speed of the micro sd card.

I switched sd cards and was amazed at the difference. Sd cards are not that expensive. don't skimp here.

Reactions: westwind77
Clicking and holding the right trigger button (C1?) and then scrolling on the right dial wheel is a short cut for adjusting the horizon tilt. When you do it makes the gimbal jump in a ghastly terrible way. I wonder if it’s possible you could be a accidently touching these controls without even realizing or clutching the remote too tightly during a critical maneuver like flying slow or tilting the gimbal? I know I do sometimes

I've had a similar gimbal problem and assumed it was a gimbal reset but somehow I had no idea about this shortcut! I'll have to pay attention and make sure I never do this.

Thank you for the thoughts and ideas!

I am running a Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB Card.

I went ahead and reloaded the firmware on the drone and the controller as well and deleting and re-installing the app on my phone.

I also changed C2 to center focus and the C1 to up/down.

I do have the pan enabled when turning as well. I turned off the 30 up axis along with that.

I plan to go out Sunday and do another flight to see if the issue is still there.

I also performed a gimbal calibration, which I am not sure I have ever completed before as it has always been fine.

Thanks for the tips, I will report back!

I am running a Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB Card.
I knew it! That’s your problem! For some reason that card isn’t compatible with the Mavic Pro in that size. I guarantee that’s the issue. I seen this over and over again. The Sandisk Extreme Plus 32 GB works fine only the 64 GB is the problem.

Get a different card like a Sandisk Extreme Pro or just regular SanDisk Extreme If you want a 64GB.

May I ask does your card say A2 or it or A1? I’m begining to get enough data to suspect the A2 has something to do with it.

I knew it! That’s your problem! For some reason that card isn’t compatible with the Mavic Pro in that size. I guarantee that’s the issue. I seen this over and over again. The Sandisk Extreme Plus 32 GB works fine only the 64 GB is the problem.

Get a different card like a Sandisk Extreme Pro or just regular SanDisk Extreme If you want a 64GB.

May I ask does your card say A2 or it or A1? I’m begining to get enough data to suspect the A2 has something to do with it.

Very interesting! I took it out again yesterday, same place to keep things consistent. It only had one gimbal 'issue' this flight...but one is too much! (I will post a clip later today).

It is an A1 version, sorry to derail your data! 64GB MicroSD XC V30 A1.

I will get a different card this week and give it another shot, thanks again!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wendystroper