DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jumpy Hyperlapse Sunset

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
I have never been able to resolve the problem, and perhaps some of you out there can help. I again attempted to do a hyperlapse sunset from my driveway. There were high wind warnings on my screen, and even at 61 feet elevation above my driveway I could tell the drone (M2P) was being buffeted by winds. Here are my settings;
  1. Photo Mode, Saved RAW files,Manual settings.Discarded synthesized clips.
  2. Intelligent Flight Mode
  3. Hyperlapse-Free
  4. Interval-2 seconds
  5. Video Length 20 seconds
  6. I did 2 x 20 seconds sequences (about 400+ frames each)
  7. Processed hyperlapse with Lightroom and LR Timelapse (2clips)
  8. downloaded to iMAC-dragged folder into Adobe Premiere Pro
  9. Processed at 23.927 frames per second-adding music
There were high winds, buffeting the drone all around, and wind warnings on the screen/monitor (9.5 inch iPad). Resultant film is very bumpy. All comments welcomed. Here is the film. Tried to compensate for underexposed foreground in Lightroom but too much noise.

My question is, (considering the wind) is it even possible to get a smooth flight while staying in one spot for 20 minutes-even with low or no winds? The short video (18 seconds) will be self explanatory;

I have never been able to resolve the problem, and perhaps some of you out there can help. I again attempted to do a hyperlapse sunset from my driveway. There were high wind warnings on my screen, and even at 61 feet elevation above my driveway I could tell the drone (M2P) was being buffeted by winds. Here are my settings;
  1. Photo Mode, Saved RAW files,Manual settings.Discarded synthesized clips.
  2. Intelligent Flight Mode
  3. Hyperlapse-Free
  4. Interval-2 seconds
  5. Video Length 20 seconds
  6. I did 2 x 20 seconds sequences (about 400+ frames each)
  7. Processed hyperlapse with Lightroom and LR Timelapse (2clips)
  8. downloaded to iMAC-dragged folder into Adobe Premiere Pro
  9. Processed at 23.927 frames per second-adding music
There were high winds, buffeting the drone all around, and wind warnings on the screen/monitor (9.5 inch iPad). Resultant film is very bumpy. All comments welcomed. Here is the film. Tried to compensate for underexposed foreground in Lightroom but too much noise.

My question is, (considering the wind) is it even possible to get a smooth flight while staying in one spot for 20 minutes-even with low or no winds? The short video (18 seconds) will be self explanatory;

Yes, I do it routinely. Just search my name and “Another Arizona Sunset”

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Tom:

I am sure you are familiar with my plight since I have written extensively on this in the forum in the past. I am well familiar with your great sunsets. What in the heck do you think is causing this wobbling or bumpiness in my flights. You might recall I used one of my Refresh's and sent my original M2P back to Texas DJI and got a "new" refurb. Didn't matter-same old ,same old. Do you need any more tech info aside from the above parameters?

Tom:

I am sure you are familiar with my plight since I have written extensively on this in the forum in the past. I am well familiar with your great sunsets. What in the heck do you think is causing this wobbling or bumpiness in my flights. You might recall I used one of my Refresh's and sent my original M2P back to Texas DJI and got a "new" refurb. Didn't matter-same old ,same old. Do you need any more tech info aside from the above parameters?
The big difference I see quickly is that for hyperlapse I download the files to my computer and then put them into iMovie to edit... I don’t join multiple hyperlapse clips.... might be worth trying one that way and not using Adobe software just to verify.

Not to differ, but ;

(1) Each stand-alone clip wobbles

(2) the drone synthesized clip wobbles without any 3rd party software.

(3) I download the files (all DNG) saved to RAW (DNG) on to my desktop. I drag those files into LRTimelapse (which uses Adobe Lightroom-the standard of the industry), which is the same exact software I have used for timelapse for years without any wobbles.

I used iMovie for my first videos- I found it to be quite basic. I took a two hour course at the Apple Store (when humans could do such things).

Please review you technique and compare to my protocol above to see if there is any errors or steps I might be making. Many people on the forum have smooth hyperlapse sunsets, but most of them are flying. I cannot afford to lose sight of my drone since I fly from my neighborhood which has lots of trees and I soon lose sight of it. I also tried flying slowly in Tripod mode out in Montana and watch the drone slowly go out of visual line of sight towards the sunset, but it still wobbled!

Help!

Honestly Dale, I don't believe you are doing anything wrong in filming the hyperlapse.
I shoot mainly hover hyperlapses due to site conditions. Even with higher than normal winds the end product is not choppy. There must be an editor stabilizer issue. I know you use LRTimelapse and warp stabilizer which are highly recommended. Just like Thomas B, I download the files to my PC. Batch edit, and put them in Resolve to join and stabilize.
Have you tried other editing programs by chance? I might be way off base, but with 2 different drones doing the same thing and your filming procedure intact, I don't know what else it could be.

Honestly Dale, I don't believe you are doing anything wrong in filming the hyperlapse.
I shoot mainly hover hyperlapses due to site conditions. Even with higher than normal winds the end product is not choppy. There must be an editor stabilizer issue. I know you use LRTimelapse and warp stabilizer which are highly recommended. Just like Thomas B, I download the files to my PC. Batch edit, and put them in Resolve to join and stabilize.
Have you tried other editing programs by chance? I might be way off base, but with 2 different drones doing the same thing and your filming procedure intact, I don't know what else it could be.

Dear Tom and Lens:

One problem is that I cannot use Warp Stabilizer on a clip that has already had its speed altered. I have to sometimes shorten a clip that is too long. If I do that and then put it through Warp Stabiliser, I get an error message saying I cannot do it. I have tried Warp stabilizer in both Premiere and AE (After Effects), which, by the way, use the same engine, according to the Adobe tech guy from Bangalore tech call! Also, I have actually tried to warp stabilize the longer clip to remove the wobbles and had no luck. Same wobbles.

Frankly, I do not know how to use any other editing program. I nearly killed myself learning (or at least trying to learn) Adobe Premiere Pro. Took me two years to find a teacher. I guess I could download a free version of Filmora or Davinci Resolve and stumble myself through that! Appreciate any other ideas or thoughts from you guys or others!
Dale

Dale, since joining this forum I have seen many of your timelapse videos and the problems you are having. We've all seen great lapses made with the M2P and like you said; you've even had your drone replaced but with the same problems. Some of the movement of the aircraft in your video look as expected in those winds but, the little pitch and yaw movement from the camera looks suspicious.

A little back story.

I once made a small sunshade for a camera (a different drone) it was made from a super light carbon cloth - weighed almost nothing, once mounted everything worked fine. Fine that is until certain flying conditions occurred and the camera would dance or wobble.

Basically, the gimbal motors could handle the minimal weight of the shade however, the additional area of the sunshield now added aerodynamic pressure in some flight situations (such as using vertical thrust to rise) and the gimbal pitch motors would intermittently fail for a split second and then rebound and then moments later this would happen again.

So, here is what I am saying, or perhaps asking: If you were to take off in those conditions and fly at that altitude - but stay in motion flying around and shoot video say for a couple of minutes - would (or does) your video have these same elements? What does video from this camera look like while in flight?

I'm not a hypelapse guy, but with the high winds is is possible that your M2 sideways pitch exceeded the amount the gimbal could accomodate at times?

Ok- Just spent the last 30 minutes getting this 14 second clip together for you guys!! It consists of 3 separate clips, taken on 3 separate days, last summer in Montana. I was flying essentially at a hover most of the time. All 3 clips have the wobbles. All were done in the same technique as detailed above ( and same drone-MP2). Wobble, wobble.
All 3 clips were stabilized in Adobe Premiere Warp Stabilizer twice! The wobbles remain. Ugh!

I'm not a hypelapse guy, but with the high winds is is possible that your M2 sideways pitch exceeded the amount the gimbal could accomodate at times?
Vindibona- if you look at the next video, all three of those Montana clips were taken with not a zephyr of wind!

Here is what I would try.
See if props are balance.
Looks to me like the drone is have a hard time keeping level.
Also maybe put on a Gimbal Guard.
Here is what I have on my MA2.
It might help with the cross wind.
IMG_0023.JPG

Here is what I would try.
See if props are balance.
Looks to me like the drone is have a hard time keeping level.
Also maybe put on a Gimbal Guard.
Here is what I have on my MA2.
It might help with the cross wind.
View attachment 122991
Not really sure what you mean by balanced props. They are properly installed. I never remove them. They are in good condition without nicks, or other defects. Thanks anyway.

Dale, is it possible to provide a post processed folder of one of your wobbly timelapse shoots? Then maybe several forum members can push it thru their editors to compare.
When I send my folder of timelapse pics thru Resolve, I only use the Stabilize feature. I batch process RAWs in DxO PhotoLab then send that folder to Resolve to Stabilize.
It would be interesting to see other users results with one of your timelapse shoots.

Reactions: Thomas B
Dale, is it possible to provide a post processed folder of one of your wobbly timelapse shoots? Then maybe several forum members can push it thru their editors to compare.
When I send my folder of timelapse pics thru Resolve, I only use the Stabilize feature. I batch process RAWs in DxO PhotoLab then send that folder to Resolve to Stabilize.
It would be interesting to see other users results with one of your timelapse shoots.
Ok guys-Now we may be getting somewhere!

I have a folder with 480 DNG images my desk top. It is 19.71 GB.

Here's a screen grab of it. If you can tell me how to send it, and where to send it, I would certainly be delighted and grateful to have one of you pros to work on it. Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.27.10 PM.png

Not really sure what you mean by balanced props. They are properly installed. I never remove them. They are in good condition without nicks, or other defects. Thanks anyway.
One way to test if your props are balance is to set your drone on flat smooth surface and start it up. If it vibrates or shakes then props are not balance.
I hope someone helps with this problem so we can have more info for solving this.

One way to test if your props are balance is to set your drone on flat smooth surface and start it up. If it vibrates or shakes then props are not balance.
I hope someone helps with this problem so we can have more info for solving this.
I hope so too! I am trying to find a way to send my folder of RAW images (DNG's).

I have a folder with 480 DNG images my desk top. It is 19.71 GB. Maybe DropBox. For files this large they want a subscription of $12USD a month.

I'd be grateful to have one of the pros to work on it if I can get the data to them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS