DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jumpy video?

JackT_22

Reactions
Okay so total beginner here- both for drones and for videos really. Below is a link to the raw, straight out of the camera video I took today. Go ahead and jump to 1:15- it's pretty jumpy.

Before we get to the details of shooting, I should say that I have another video in which all I did was fly (in sport mode) in a straight line about 50m off the treeline, that video is far jumpier than this one, even though there's no pan, roll, or yaw.

Ok this video was 4k/24fps. Recorded directly to the sd card. Micro SD: SanDisk Ultra 16Gb (write speed 80 mbps).

Other things I tried was rendering the video in photoshop output at a lower quality, resolution, higher frame rate, lower frame rate. They all seemed to fare worse than the original.

Anybody have any advice as to what it is I'm doing wrong? I believe this is some sort of user error on my part.

Looks like your SD card is too slow. I don't know where you got the 80 mbps write speed but according to the SanDisk site the Ultra card is rated U1 which has a write speed of 10 mbps. You need a SanDisk Extreme (or other brand) that is rated U3 to record 4K. Be sure to buy from a reputable dealer as there are a number of counterfeit cards floating around.

Reactions: Thomas B
Okay so total beginner here- both for drones and for videos really. Below is a link to the raw, straight out of the camera video I took today. Go ahead and jump to 1:15- it's pretty jumpy.

Before we get to the details of shooting, I should say that I have another video in which all I did was fly (in sport mode) in a straight line about 50m off the treeline, that video is far jumpier than this one, even though there's no pan, roll, or yaw.

Ok this video was 4k/24fps. Recorded directly to the sd card. Micro SD: SanDisk Ultra 16Gb (write speed 80 mbps).

Other things I tried was rendering the video in photoshop output at a lower quality, resolution, higher frame rate, lower frame rate. They all seemed to fare worse than the original.

Anybody have any advice as to what it is I'm doing wrong? I believe this is some sort of user error on my part.
I haven't experienced this problem myself but first thing I would try and eliminate from the equation would be the micro sd card. Make sure the card has the U3 designation on it. Try a different card. Preferably a new one. They are as cheap as they have ever been on Amazon right now. Also try recording to the onboard storage and see if it still shows up.

I haven't experienced this problem myself but first thing I would try and eliminate from the equation would be the micro sd card. Make sure the card has the U3 designation on it. Try a different card. Preferably a new one. They are as cheap as they have ever been on Amazon right now. Also try recording to the onboard storage and see if it still shows up.

Gotcha. On second look, I found read speed.

Is the jumpy look in the video consistent with videos overloading the write speeds and buffers?

Yes.
Also nice spot for filming. Hope you can get to re-shoot it.

Gotcha. On second look, I found read speed.

Is the jumpy look in the video consistent with videos overloading the write speeds and buffers?
Yes. The result of slow card speed causing dropped and/or unrecorded frames since card you current card can’t take the rapid data input.

Sandisk Ultra is Class 10/U1 i think, too slow for 4K. I use Sandisk Extreme Pro U3 in both my Mavic Air and Mavic 2 Zoom. Sandisk Extreme Plus U3 in my Spark with no problems so far.

Make sure to get U3.

Last edited:

You are rendering in photoshop? What do you mean? Photoshop can render video but that’s a it’s not a good program to render video unless you know exactly what you are doing. This one up here that you showed us did you use Photoshop for that?

Your card doesn’t cut it you need a new one but the photoshop thing could be an additional issue

Hey.
I get the jumping on the screen while i’m flying and put it down to a weak video feed. The video always comes out smooth when I download it. Is this the case for me??

I did exactly the same as a new flyer, up I sent it with an ornery SD card and camera set to 4k. Rubbish results. Now I use decent cards and it hasn't happened since.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan