DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just a privacy heads up - Or lack of !

wonkamavic

Reactions
I think the video speaks for itself. I wonder how much more flight time you could get out of a battery if all this crap was not going on in the background ? I think its well known that DJI support ( AKA Calibration Support ) lies on a daily basis. Its China, whoda thunk it ?

Is there a "Cliff Notes" version? (i.e. less than 30 minutes) ;)

I know right ? i suffered through the entire 30 mins just to see what this was about.. The app is literally using 100's of ip address to contact 3rd party entities.
And, as typical of DJI, they are acting like they dont know what hes asking even when he shows them the screenshots of the app pounding IP address's

Reactions: Wersh and AyeYo
I think the video speaks for itself. I wonder how much more flight time you could get out of a battery if all this crap was not going on in the background ? I think its well known that DJI support ( AKA Calibration Support ) lies on a daily basis. Its China, whoda thunk it ?

Flight time difference is negligble.

Reactions: Kilrah
And one responder asked about using CrystalSky to get around this as it has the app installed on it already. Right, spend another $950 for the CrystalSky monitor and mount.
I guess thats the price for your privacy ( maybe ).

Reactions: AyeYo
Flight time difference is negligble.

It may not effect flight time in a way that you could even measure but his concerns are VERY valid concerning China and what they may or may not be doing with this info.
Map every square inch of the USA ? Who knows.

Reactions: AyeYo
The reality is. we live in a society of data mining and its to be expected with ANY high tech device you buy these days.
What can you do about it ? Not a **** thing. I guess you could live off the grid like a cave man maybe.

Reactions: Kilrah
It may not effect flight time in a way that you could even measure but his concerns are VERY valid concerning China and what they may or may not be doing with this info.
Map every square inch of the USA ? Who knows.
I don't think China needs a drone data to map every square inch of USA. They have satellites for that

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this...it's a very common practice.

I have been fighting a losing war against data mining for years now. One of the reasons why I wanted the CS was to lose my smart phone entirely and just use the CS with wifi to download maps before I fly. Sadly, if you didn't get the jump on data mining a decade ago, it seems pointless to try to fight it now.

Last edited:
I have been fighting a losing war against data mining for years now. One of the reasons why I wanted the CS was to lose my smart phone entirely and just use the CS with wifi to download maps before I fly. Sadly, if you didn't get the jump on data mining a decade ago, it seems pointless to try to fight it now, sadly.

Thats absolutely a fact ! Unfortunately , its too late.

This has been going on in the CCTV industry for a couple of years. The Chinese were caught doing the same with Hikvision cameras. They would call home and send video and pics. Great for spying on industries.

This has been going on in the CCTV industry for a couple of years. The Chinese were caught doing the same with Hikvision cameras. They would call home and send video and pics. Great for spying on industries.
i have at least a dozen hikvision cams on my property but they aint phoning home anything. they are all POE with no access to ISP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J