DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just bought a mavic, can't decide if I should keep it?

I have flown both manual and with ATTI on other birds. I thought the same thing but with just shy of 10 months flying I haven't missed it and can say I never needed it.

It would be nice for indoor flight.

It's boring because it is incredibly reliable and very unlikely to not respond to input. Also, the flight is so good that you actually aren't needed for the experience. So yeah, if you are used to manual flight on a RC, which is incredibly challenging you will soon learn that the Mavic is no challenge at all. It does does what you bought it to do. Fly, deliver a fantastic live video fed to you and return even if you are bad it flying. If you pick a good launch spot and don't fly in 30MPH winds you could luanch it and go eat. It will land where it took off and wait for you to plug in a new battery.

Too easy.

I agree. I've just had 3 months in the ranges of central Australia, miles away from internet/phone capability. Flew 53 sorties along mountain tops, in valleys etc - out to a maximum of 3 klm - and never had a hiccup. Obtained some great video (for me anyway!). Even had the black screen on the iPad 3 times when I inadvertently allowed a ridge to come between me and the MP. Everytime, telemetry was only lost until the MP auto RTH'd (about 5 or 6 seconds). Exceptionally reliable bird ( I always update to latest firmware)

Ditto for me. Never had a problem with my Mavic and I have a lot more confidence in it than I did with my previous Phantom Vision 2+
The technology in the Mavic is awesome. I fly it nearly every day and it never fails to behave perfectly. (Unless I do something stupid) Even then it seems to recover. I would happily fly inside in Tripod mode. I use Litchee for waypoint flights, POI and follow me. All perfect.
I even got hit by an angry seagull once, about 40m up. It seemed to flip the Mavic, which tumbled a bit and then recovered and hovered quite happily. Inspection revealed a small crack on one prop. I always update firmware by the way. Use an Ipad mini and have never lost signal

if you find you cannot fly it just ship it to me in Western Australia and I will look after it for you :)

Reactions: mavic6611
Been watching prices on the fly more combo for a while, then the price dropped briefly and I decided to pull the trigger and get one. It was delivered and now I have been sitting on it for a week in the box. I have taken it out and checked it over but cant seem to bring myself to activate it and take it out flying.....

I dont have any grand plans for using it, it was mainly just to mess around with and eventually do some FPV flying with it, but I just can't decide whether its worth keeping. With all the issues with the newest firmware updates, lack of real support from DJI, stupid local/state drone restrictions etc, is it really worth the hassle of owning this thing just for fun?
I bought a Mavik and was totally excited when it arrived. I had the presence of mind to read all that I could find and watch lots of YouTube vids. After 3 weeks I finally took it out. Each time I take it out I gain more confidence. I live in East TN; I took my mavik to a friends home. He lives in the Smokies and I flew it out over mountains and tree tops. After a few flights I purchased Mavmounts and an Ipad 4. Improves the effects 100%. I bought it for a trip to Chile that includes the desert and Patgonia. I expect by March I will be proficient. I think the best advice is to be cautious but FLT IT! Have fun, I am.

I bought a Mavik and was totally excited when it arrived. I had the presence of mind to read all that I could find and watch lots of YouTube vids. After 3 weeks I finally took it out. Each time I take it out I gain more confidence. I live in East TN; I took my mavik to a friends home. He lives in the Smokies and I flew it out over mountains and tree tops. After a few flights I purchased Mavmounts and an Ipad 4. Improves the effects 100%. I bought it for a trip to Chile that includes the desert and Patgonia. I expect by March I will be proficient. I think the best advice is to be cautious but FLT IT! Have fun, I am.
If you thought the ipad 4 made it 100% better, the dji goggles made it 400% better for me, u should try them.

Reactions: mavic6611
If I were in your position (new owner), the only reason I would take it back is to get the Platinum edition. The Mavic has FAR fewer issues than any R/C fixed wing. Mine (as well as 90% of Mavic owners) have had no "issues". I think you'll enjoy yours.

I am guilty of this also I have had thr mavic for 2 weeks. I have only powered on and yet to fly it. To be honest a little nervous, I have tons of RC nitro experience but nothing in the air.

It's INCREDIBLY easy to fly. I was nervous at first but once you've had it in the air for a few minutes that all disappears.

It's INCREDIBLY easy to fly. I was nervous at first but once you've had it in the air for a few minutes that all disappears.
First time I went out I had magnetic interface in an open field. Then it went into atti mode and drifted pretty far I was able to land it with no problems. It was over all easy to fly.

Ive had mine for several months. Flying around my house is boring now. Its hard to find another interesting place to fly because so many places are restricted and all of the state and national parks prohibit drones. So I don't fly as much as I did when I first got it. If you do decide to keep, I recommend the DJI Care Refresh because it will give you more confidence to fly know that if you crash you can get it repaired or replaced.

I want to chime in here...I went through the exact same thing as the OP, bought a Mavic, returned it for the same reasons and then bought it again!! I have been flying RC 3D Electric Helicopters for years and that is extremely challenging and demands your full concentration and attention for 6 minutes or so lol... Flying the mavic is sooo much more relaxing band I will keep it to complement my 3D Heli. I just like to take it out exploring and grab some cool aerial shots and videos when I can, no plans as of right now to get my FAA 107 Cert and do any professional work.

Now I like the Mavic so much that I purchased an Inspire 2 now I am trying to decide if I should keep the Mavic also!

So to the OP, since you already broke the seal and taken it out of the box, you might as well fly it, I doubt that the retailer it came from will care that it was not activated or not since the factory seal is broken.

Yes - in my years of flying all types of RC (Giant's, Large scale heli's - etc...) the MP is by far more reliable as in it does what is is supposed to do most of the time. Get rid of it but not due to reliability's sake .. do it for boredom sake. If you fly heli's like I do then you may find the MP so boring to fly (actually it fly's itself for the most part) that you don't enjoy taking it out. There are only so many neighborhood video shot's that one wants to look at etc... If you have a purpose to film a specific place, willing to travel to get the shot etc.. the MP is a great accessory to the photographer/videographer but no to much a 'fun' RC toy IMO.

Completely agree.

I would add one point, though. The Mavic is a really fun FPV platform.

Been watching prices on the fly more combo for a while, then the price dropped briefly and I decided to pull the trigger and get one. It was delivered and now I have been sitting on it for a week in the box. I have taken it out and checked it over but cant seem to bring myself to activate it and take it out flying.....

I dont have any grand plans for using it, it was mainly just to mess around with and eventually do some FPV flying with it, but I just can't decide whether its worth keeping. With all the issues with the newest firmware updates, lack of real support from DJI, stupid local/state drone restrictions etc, is it really worth the hassle of owning this thing just for fun?
If you want to sell,, give me first crack at it. I have one and love it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure