DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just bought Mavic 3, telephoto lens doesn't work, zoom doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your kind words!
Now it seems to me, that if a bright person were in charge of writing the Mavic 3 User Manual, all of these kinds of things could be mentioned in a truly useful manual, as TIPS or answers to FAQs...eg...make sure you're using the most updated DJI Fly App, because if you're not, some of the functions on the drone/app will not work. Or in reference to your situation, the tip or FAQ answer, that LED lights will only light up after arming of motors. Eg, they could anticipate a lot of the kinds of questions or concerns that users would have, and answer them in advance in a guide, which could then reduce the number of calls in to tech support. But perhaps I'm foolishly retro and a luddite to believe in truly comprehensive and useful user manuals/guides....
Welcome to DJI… it’s always a test of patience & disappointment.

Well done buying only from a brick & mortar store like Best Buy that has an iron clad open return policy. That’s who I used for the first Mavic Pro way back when because I heard about all the issues with those. Had to go through 3 of those to get a good one!

Off topic: And since you sound like a learned guy, it’s “voila” for “there it is” in French.

And congratulations… you now know MORE than any DJI “support agent” hahahaha. That’s awesome you’ve gotten it all figured out without having to buy another $1300 iPhone.

Reactions: Torque and Hermey
Thanks for your kind words!
Now it seems to me, that if a bright person were in charge of writing the Mavic 3 User Manual, all of these kinds of things could be mentioned in a truly useful manual, as TIPS or answers to FAQs...eg...make sure you're using the most updated DJI Fly App, because if you're not, some of the functions on the drone/app will not work. Or in reference to your situation, the tip or FAQ answer, that LED lights will only light up after arming of motors. Eg, they could anticipate a lot of the kinds of questions or concerns that users would have, and answer them in advance in a guide, which could then reduce the number of calls in to tech support. But perhaps I'm foolishly retro and a luddite to believe in truly comprehensive and useful user manuals/guides....
In DJI's defense, when things are new, and changes have been made from prior functionality, it takes time for those changes to become known and properly documented, and the apps to be updated to display explanatory info. Part of living on the cutting edge is getting cut and bleeding. However, to your point, it would be helpful for the app itself to recommend updating both the app and all FW to the latest for full functionality. Certainly, that should be the first recommendation of all Support Reps, verifying the FW and App versions currently installed, and knowing when they are not yet fully updated. To have a happy user experience, you need to be willing to be your own tech support, and crowd source additional support here!

Well some lucky shopper will now purchase the Perfectly Fine drone you returned as a "refurbished" drone and save $700+ on a nearly new drone!
Edit: I'm only pointing this out because I purcachased a refurbished Mavic 3 a couple of weeks ago and it appears brand new - I'm hoping it was returned for something just as minor or due to "buyer's remorse".

Reactions: Hermey
Well some lucky shopper will now purchase the Perfectly Fine drone you returned as a "refurbished" drone and save $700+ on a nearly new drone!
Edit: I'm only pointing this out because I purchased a refurbished Mavic 3 a couple of weeks ago and it appears brand new - I'm hoping it was returned for something just as minor or due to "buyer's remorse".
Smart move!
They are all brand new, returned within 7 days of purchase. The cannot have been activated or flown to qualify for DJI to allow the original buyer to return them. They are also the exact same drones everyone receives back under warranty replacement and DJI Care. Might as well start out with one, and save $500+, or buy a Refurbished Mavic 3 instead of a retail Mavic 3 Classic, and get a free 7x telephoto camera, a locking gimbal, and a superior gimbal strap!

=======

DJI Refurbished Product FAQ​

WHAT ARE DJI REFURBISHED PRODUCTS?

The products sent back by customers within seven days after he/she confirms receipt will be strictly examined, refurbished and repackaged, and sold as DJI refurbished products.

Every DJI Refurbished aircraft is thoroughly tested by DJI Experts and includes DJI standard warranty.

There are no better experts in DJI products than those at DJI. Every refurbished product has undergone a professional refurbishing process that brings it up to the same high standards as brand new products, and all refurbished products come with new parts, new packaging and DJI's standard Manufacturer Warranty. If you are not happy with a refurbished product and have not yet activated it, you can return it within seven days of receipt for a full refund or a replacement refurbished product.

Smart move!
They are all brand new, returned within 7 days of purchase. The cannot have been activated or flown to qualify for DJI to allow the original buyer to return them. They are also the exact same drones everyone receives back under warranty replacement and DJI Care. Might as well start out with one, and save $500+, or buy a Refurbished Mavic 3 instead of a retail Mavic 3 Classic, and get a free 7x telephoto camera, a locking gimbal, and a superior gimbal strap!

=======

The products sent back by customers within seven days after he/she confirms receipt will be strictly examined, refurbished and repackaged, and sold as DJI refurbished products.

Every DJI Refurbished aircraft is thoroughly tested by DJI Experts and includes DJI standard warranty.

There are no better experts in DJI products than those at DJI. Every refurbished product has undergone a professional refurbishing process that brings it up to the same high standards as brand new products, and all refurbished products come with new parts, new packaging and DJI's standard Manufacturer Warranty. If you are not happy with a refurbished product and have not yet activated it, you can return it within seven days of receipt for a full refund or a replacement refurbished product.
Thank you for clarifying for the unknown and those that continue to spread misinformation. +1

Smart move!

=======

Regarding "they cannot have been activated or flown to qualify for DJI to allow the original buyer to return them"...I'm assuming this applies only if the drone is not defective in any way...because surely one could return a defective drone if it were bought direct from DJI, yes?

It seems that Best Buy may be a better place to buy the drone. Because in addition to easily doing an exchange of a drone that I believed was defective, they do accept returns of any drone within 15 days of purchase. I didn't check to ensure that you could return one that you had flown, but I got the sense you could. Because when I first went in to exchange this one, the guy I handed it to first thought I just wanted to do a return, and he could easily see the box had been opened and it seemed to me this would not have impacted my ability to return the drone.

In addition, when I bought the drone at Best Buy, for the same total cost DJI lists it for on their site, I got a free ND filter set (4 ND filters). Dont' really need another set of these as the Fly More kit had the 4 filters in it, but Best Buy gave me a 2nd set for free anyhow.

I would assume that only DJI can sell a refurbished drone since I wouldn't think Best Buy staff would have the authority to "refurbish" these and then sell them as such, since they are not drone experts there. So I'd guess a returned drone that had been opened up would go back to DJI to process.

Regarding "they cannot have been activated or flown to qualify for DJI to allow the original buyer to return them"...I'm assuming this applies only if the drone is not defective in any way...because surely one could return a defective drone if it were bought direct from DJI, yes?

It seems that Best Buy may be a better place to buy the drone. Because in addition to easily doing an exchange of a drone that I believed was defective, they do accept returns of any drone within 15 days of purchase. I didn't check to ensure that you could return one that you had flown, but I got the sense you could. Because when I first went in to exchange this one, the guy I handed it to first thought I just wanted to do a return, and he could easily see the box had been opened and it seemed to me this would not have impacted my ability to return the drone.

In addition, when I bought the drone at Best Buy, for the same total cost DJI lists it for on their site, I got a free ND filter set (4 ND filters). Dont' really need another set of these as the Fly More kit had the 4 filters in it, but Best Buy gave me a 2nd set for free anyhow.

I would assume that only DJI can sell a refurbished drone since I wouldn't think Best Buy staff would have the authority to "refurbish" these and then sell them as such, since they are not drone experts there. So I'd guess a returned drone that had been opened up would go back to DJI to process.
Defective drones purchased from DJI and returned don't qualify for refunds, or being sold by DJI as DJI Refurbished status. They would only qualify for warranty replacement, and not a refund, because to establish they are defective, they would have to first have been activated and/or flown. Refurbished DJI drones are the best value, sold at a large discount, and are sold by www.DroneNerds.com and DJI, but availability varies.

However, if you are going to pay retail, buying from Best Buy or Amazon is best. Best Buy accepts drone returns from everyone within 15 days (unless you are an Elite or Elite+ member) as long as any defect is claimed. No one at Best Buy is going to verify the claimed defect. It's just your word. Otherwise, without a claimed defect, there is a 15% restocking fee on all Best Buy drone returns! Amazon gives you 30 days. Neither prohibit you from activating and flying during their return period. Where it becomes iffy is if you crash within the return period. They could refuse the return, and tell you that you must use DJI warranty instead. Open boxes and uncrashed flown drones are not a problem to return to either, but Best Buy will require a claimed defect to avoid the 15% restocking fee.

Best Buy does also run occasional specials on pricing, and sometimes throws in freebies like a microSD card or filters, and always includes a useless $25 ShutterFly credit. Best Buy will also price match Amazon and B&H, so check both first to see if they are cheaper. They will verify any lower price online in the store and match it.

Best Buy might sell your returned "defective" DJI drone as an Open Box at a discount in the store, or just return it to DJI for credit. Since it wasn't sold by DJI originally, it can't qualify as DJI Refurbished when DJI gets it back, no matter what they do to it. Not sure what DJI does with Best Buy returns and their own defective warranty returns.

Any authorized DJI Dealer can technically sell DJI Refurbished, but only www.DroneNerds.com regularly stocks them. Never seen Best Buy selling DJI Refurbished. Amazon occasionally sells "Amazon Refurbished" DJI drones, but I would stay away from them! They are open box returns of completely unknown status!

Defective drones purchased from DJI and returned don't qualify for refunds, or being sold by DJI as DJI Refurbished status. They would only qualify for warranty replacement, and not a refund, because to establish they are defective, they would have to first have been activated and/or flown. Refurbished DJI drones are the best value, sold at a large discount, and are sold by www.DroneNerds.com and DJI, but availability varies.

However, if you are going to pay retail, buying from Best Buy or Amazon is best. Best Buy accepts drone returns from everyone within 15 days (unless you are an Elite or Elite+ member) as long as any defect is claimed. No one at Best Buy is going to verify the claimed defect. It's just your word. Otherwise, without a claimed defect, there is a 15% restocking fee on all Best Buy drone returns! Amazon gives you 30 days. Neither prohibit you from activating and flying during their return period. Where it becomes iffy is if you crash within the return period. They could refuse the return, and tell you that you must use DJI warranty instead. Open boxes and uncrashed flown drones are not a problem to return to either, but Best Buy will require a claimed defect to avoid the 15% restocking fee.

Best Buy does also run occasional specials on pricing, and sometimes throws in freebies like a microSD card or filters, and always includes a useless $25 ShutterFly credit. Best Buy will also price match Amazon and B&H, so check both first to see if they are cheaper. They will verify any lower price online in the store and match it.

Best Buy might sell your returned "defective" DJI drone as an Open Box at a discount in the store, or just return it to DJI for credit. Since it wasn't sold by DJI originally, it can't qualify as DJI Refurbished when DJI gets it back, no matter what they do to it. Not sure what DJI does with Best Buy returns and their own defective warranty returns.

Any authorized DJI Dealer can technically sell DJI Refurbished, but only www.DroneNerds.com regularly stocks them. Never seen Best Buy selling DJI Refurbished. Amazon occasionally sells "Amazon Refurbished" DJI drones, but I would stay away from them! They are open box returns of completely unknown status!
Wow, you are certainly a wealth of knowledge about all the ins and outs of buying DJI drones!
From what you say, it certainly seems to me it's better to not buy from DJI directly, because they are less flexible on returns than Best Buy or Amazon.

Wow, you are certainly a wealth of knowledge about all the ins and outs of buying DJI drones!
From what you say, it certainly seems to me it's better to not buy from DJI directly, because they are less flexible on returns than Best Buy or Amazon.
Yes, I have bought more than my share of drones from all of the above vendors over the years! Originally, buying directly from DJI saved 9% sales tax, as did buying from Amazon and DroneNerds and B&H. Now, they all have to charge sales tax, so Best Buy has therefore become more attractive, with the immediacy of an exchange, if necessary, to determine if what one perceives as a defect, is shared by more than one drone, as long as you know to claim a defect to avoid the 15% restocking fee on any return, if the drone simply doesn't live up to your expectations.

I bought my first DJI drone from Best Buy. I literally had no idea what to get and bought a Phantom 3 Standard. It was defective, I think the gimbal was shot. Took it back to BestBuy and they gave me another right off the shelf, no problems at all. I bought my Mavic 2 from a vendor that posted on here and had something gone wrong, I would have had to have shipped it back to them. I had a good experience with them and would consider buying a drone from them again. My preference is to support a company in this field.

I bought my first DJI drone from Best Buy. I literally had no idea what to get and bought a Phantom 3 Standard. It was defective, I think the gimbal was shot. Took it back to BestBuy and they gave me another right off the shelf, no problems at all. I bought my Mavic 2 from a vendor that posted on here and had something gone wrong, I would have had to have shipped it back to them. I had a good experience with them and would consider buying a drone from them again. My preference is to support a company in this field.
Return shipping, waiting for their evaluation, and then a replacement to be reshipped, assuming they agree to an exchange, and assuming they also have replacements in stock, can take several weeks, often just to find out the replacement has the same problem as the original, either because of a common defect from the same batch, or most often user error. With Best Buy, that can all be determined within 24 hours with a quick exchange.

Reactions: anotherlab

Drone Nerds is where I bought my refurbished Mavic 3, I had never done business with them, but very happy with the purchase and free QUICK shipping (3 days from Miami to Seattle).

A whole 'nother story, but my first flight with the Mavic 3 was from my back deck out over the greenbelt behind my home, hovered and zoomed in on Mt Rainier - for a bout 15 seconds - just long enough to trigger a neighbor who thought I was spying on him. He followed the drone home, threatened to shoot it out of the sky - Sheriff called, case # filed, etc. A story for another day...
Anyway...
I shopped around and availability was pretty sporadic for a refurbished without a controller. I also encountered some listed as "renewed" as opposed to refurbished. Any idea what "renewed" is? A crashed or damaged drone that has been repaired?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Drone Nerds is where I bought my refurbished Mavic 3, I had never done business with them, but very happy with the purchase and free QUICK shipping (3 days from Miami to Seattle).

A whole 'nother story, but my first flight with the Mavic 3 was from my back deck out over the greenbelt behind my home, hovered and zoomed in on Mt Rainier - for a bout 15 seconds - just long enough to trigger a neighbor who thought I was spying on him. He followed the drone home, threatened to shoot it out of the sky - Sheriff called, case # filed, etc. A story for another day...
Anyway...
I shopped around and availability was pretty sporadic for a refurbished without a controller. I also encountered some listed as "renewed" as opposed to refurbished. Any idea what "renewed" is? A crashed or damaged drone that has been repaired?
The DJI Refurbished units all come with controllers in each configuration, but the RC-N1 controller is only $109 retail, so eliminating it wouldn’t save much anyway, even if they did sell Refurbished without a controller, and the RC-N1 still has usefulness, even when you buy the RC Pro separately. "Renewed" sounds like an Amazon term for "we couldn’t find anything wrong with it" but I wouldn't even consider buying it. Could also be a crashed or damaged drone repaired by a 3rd party. Stick with new or "DJI Refurbished."

As to your 'nother story, unfortunately hovering is what makes others nervous, even if just for a 360° pano or a short 7x closeup. Best to either do it from so high up that it isn't noticeable, or very far away from your neighbors. Nervous and paranoid neighbors make for an unhappy flying experience! When flying from home, I'm zipping away or straight up as quickly as possible, so no one thinks I'm spying. They aren't that interesting anyway! HAH!

Reactions: Hermey and Torque
The DJI Refurbished units all come with controllers in each configuration, but the RC-N1 controller is only $109 retail, so eliminating it wouldn’t save much anyway, even if they did sell Refurbished without a controller, and the RC-N1 still has usefulness, even when you buy the RC Pro separately. "Renewed" sounds like an Amazon term for "we couldn’t find anything wrong with it" but I wouldn't even consider buying it. Could also be a crashed or damaged drone repaired by a 3rd party. Stick with new or "DJI Refurbished."

As to your 'nother story, unfortunately hovering is what makes others nervous, even if just for a 360° pano or a short 7x closeup. Best to either do it from so high up that it isn't noticeable, or very far away from your neighbors. Nervous and paranoid neighbors make for an unhappy flying experience! When flying from home, I'm zipping away or straight up as quickly as possible, so no one thinks I'm spying. They aren't that interesting anyway! HAH!
You're right, the Mavic 3 classic is the only one that you can buy refurbished without a controller. Amazon did have a few "renewed" solo M3 drones. This is Amazon's description:

"This product works and looks like new. Backed by a 1-year Amazon Renewed Guarantee.​

- This pre-owned product has been professionally inspected, tested and cleaned by Amazon-qualified suppliers.
- There will be no visible cosmetic imperfections when held at an arm’s length.
- Product may come in generic box.
- This product is eligible for a replacement or refund within one year of receipt if you are not satisfied under the Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
- Some remanufactured parts feature a rebate as part of your purchase, which can be redeemed upon the return of your existing (core) equivalent part."
So yes, best to stick with DJI refurbished.
As for my flight that angered a neighbor to threaten me with a gun - I was several hundered feet east of his house over the Greenbelt at an altitude of 273 feet.
Fortunately the Sheriff that investigated is Part 107 certified.
It is a bit ironic, just a few weeks ago on an HOA thread here I posted that I'd been flying sporadically and legally in my HOA neighborhood for the past 7 years wthout an issue. Then this happened...

You're right, the Mavic 3 classic is the only one that you can buy refurbished without a controller. Amazon did have a few "renewed" solo M3 drones. This is Amazon's description:

"This product works and looks like new. Backed by a 1-year Amazon Renewed Guarantee.​

- This pre-owned product has been professionally inspected, tested and cleaned by Amazon-qualified suppliers.
- There will be no visible cosmetic imperfections when held at an arm’s length.
- Product may come in generic box.
- This product is eligible for a replacement or refund within one year of receipt if you are not satisfied under the Amazon Renewed Guarantee.
- Some remanufactured parts feature a rebate as part of your purchase, which can be redeemed upon the return of your existing (core) equivalent part."
So yes, best to stick with DJI refurbished.
As for my flight that angered a neighbor to threaten me with a gun - I was several hundered feet east of his house over the Greenbelt at an altitude of 273 feet.
Fortunately the Sheriff that investigated is Part 107 certified.
It is a bit ironic, just a few weeks ago on an HOA thread here I posted that I'd been flying sporadically and legally in my HOA neighborhood for the past 7 years wthout an issue. Then this happened...
Actually, the Mavic 3 Classic is still not yet available as DJI Refurbished in any form, which is why buying the a Refurbished Mavic 3 For the same price as a brand new Mavic 3 Classic is still the best Mavic 3 value at present. Takes about a year after release for any DJI Refurbished versions to become available.

The Amazon renewed prices are no better than DJI Refurbished prices, and buying one would therefore be my last choice. Amazon's one year satisfaction guarantee is encouraging to test a model one isn't certain about wanting to keep. Sounds like a free one year rental! However, they aren't new and won't look new. They are repaired crashed units, with likely hidden damage inside, that could fail at any time. Cracked motherboards eventually lead to crashes.

As to your neighbor, I wouldn't voluntarily post in an HOA thread about any personal flying over the neighborhood, no matter how legal. It's just asking for trouble. "Oh, so he's the guy?" Then, they think every drone they see is yours, and you are the bad guy who is spying on everyone! It gives them perceived permission to be aggressive towards you! I had a neighbor come to my front door complaining about me flying my drone over his backyard. Told him it wasn't me! Fortunately, at that exact moment another identical drone was flying over his property, visible from my front door. Case closed!

Reactions: Torque and Hermey
Given what I found, this should have been one of the first suggestions the tech support person made!

I think that YOU have forgotten that the first thing YOU should have done, was update your software when you bought the drone. The reason being that it is normal to do this for all such items.

As to your neighbor, I wouldn't voluntarily post in an HOA thread about any personal flying over the neighborhood, no matter how legal. It's just asking for trouble. "Oh, so he's the guy?" Then, they think every drone they see is yours, and you are the bad guy who is spying on everyone!
No, you misunderstood, the "HOA thread" was here on this forum. I would never be fool enough to post on MY HOA group chat or the Nextdoor ap that I'm a drone pilot.

I think that YOU have forgotten that the first thing YOU should have done, was update your software when you bought the drone. The reason being that it is normal to do this for all such items.
As mentioned above, I thought I had updated my DJI Fly App when I followed the prompts to do the updates on the Fly App. I hadn't realized that I had to go into the Apple App store and do the update there...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have my drone in front of me now and i can switch to 7x and i am not in explore mode and i can also rotate the scroll wheel and it will zoom up to 28x .I am inside and the drone is on but no motors running .Loads of video's online show a set of binoculars which mine does not you just tap on the film icon above the start video button then i can go into explore mode ect .I am running the latest firware and my rc pro is only a few weeks old .Just to add im sure that when i was out the other day flying then yes im sure that explore was needed to get into the zoom function and to allow the scroll wheel to work but i could tap on the 7x and it worked without being in explore mode .
In your opinion, how usable for photos is the zoom images. In good light and good wx conditions are the zoomed images good quality?

Reactions: saltire and Hermey
In your opinion, how usable for photos is the zoom images. In good light and good wx conditions are the zoomed images good quality?
I am only just beginning to test out the Mavic 3 so I'm not the best one to answer this. I'm sure many others with far more experience can address this well.

This video may help answer the question:
In this video,
the narrator says you should stick to using just the 1x and 7x settings, that the zoom image quality is not good. However, that video was made a year ago and there have been some improvements since then....

In this video you can see the quality of different zoom settings.
On the standard lens, 1x is great, and 2x looks decent, 4x looks bad.
On the telephoto lens, 7x looks great, 14x is grainy but passable, 28x looks bad.
However, interestingly, he shows you that 28x on the telephoto lens is actually better quality than the 4x on the standard lens.
The 7x of the fixed telephoto is much, much better than the 4x digital zoom of the standard 1x camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3