DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just broke my Mavic on the first day!

Well I have successfully done it...broken my Mavic Pro on the first day...from a height of about 3 feet!
It was completely my own fault.....

I'd actually achieved a safe maiden flight.... then put the kids to bed...

Then decided to learn how to use the camera....thought to myself....this baby flies up so safely and evenly...it doesn't matter that there isn't much space here.....I'll just pop it up and straight back down....

I took off....it proceeded to slide sideways....I couldn't get it to hover still....tried to catch if before it slammed into something...partly cut my hand...the Drone dropped 2 feet..and now the Gimble won't calibrate and gives a Gimble error....

One day..and one dead Mavic Pro Camera gimble! Was not the wisest thing I've ever done...that is for sure!
Without GPS, the MP flies in "ATTI" mode, so little to no computer aided flying. Any touch of the stick will cause the drone to drift that direction, if there is any wind it will affect the bird. Flying indoors can get even more squirrely as the drone can switch between GPS and ATTI if the satellite connections drift in and out.

While practicing in the back yard my Husky jumped up and caught it in her mouth on the first day. Needless to say she dropped it instantly. After that, the gamble wouldn’t initialize every time, when it did mid flight the camera started bouncing crazily like a kid on sugar.

I bought the gimbal ribbon cable from Amazon for 14.99 and followed a YouTube video on replacement. It took me 95 minutes, but here we are, six months later and still going strong.

Did the same thing the first night with my Hubsan 109s. Burnt out a motor and an ESC. It wasn't too difficult to fix and parts ran me $50 on eBay.

Replacing the gimbal ribbon is tedious but at $15 it's an inexpensive DIY fix. DJI Care Refresh would cost you $179 for the same repair ($100 up-front contract cost + $79 first replacement fee). I think that if you want to get into this hobby you should be prepared to do your own repairs.

Folks have already provided good information about safe flight, indoors and out. One suggestion I would make is to check your credit card purchase protection offerings. Many credit cards will repair or replace a lost, stolen or damaged product within the first 30-90 days.

Thanks mate....might look into those prop guards! Will definitely watch more of those vids too...I have literally been shaking my head all day...thinking..'what sort of a goose launces his $1700 brand new Mavic Pro off ..with zero experience....inside a house?!!' Might have to make a YouTube video called ' What not to do with your new Mavic Pro'..complete with a few Aussie expressions that articulate the sheer lunacy of such an attempt.

All I was actually trying to do was go up in the air 30cm and straight back down....why the thing decided to head Kamikaze style towards the bookshelf I don't know!

Anyway..by the look of it...it is actually normal for the Gimble to look a bit shaky inside it's cage? I won't know for certain until I try out some filming from the Drone to see if the Stabilization and tilt still works properly....

Hopefully all is well....and I got away with this one after all!

Thanks!

Ha ha, if you look through Mavic vids on youtube, you will find lots of 'don't do's' too !!
For the life of me, once you fly outside where you're supposed to, you'll wonder why anyone would want to fly inside a house / building anyway :)
Apart form the warehouse drone racers anyway :/

Maybe people using it to film inside homes for real estate, if they can't be arsed getting out a regular camera to video it . . . the gimbal actually allows very good video using it turned on (of course) and no motors started.

You possibly had no gps lock inside, sometime I have it when updating, other times not, always shaky signal . . . so in atti mode where you must control it, rather than it hovers nicely.
Or, it was lack of light for sensors too.

So when you get out on that oval later, ensure it all starts up ok, wait for it the have GPS lock and it says top right of Go4 GPS mode or similar = it is good to go.
If you take off too soon in atti it won't record home properly, a;though it will probably go into GPS mode shortly after.

Inside it's "cage" ?
You mean the bubble cover ?
If so, yes they are quite fluid in movement when the clamp is off, and not turned on . . . once turned on and gimbal calibrated, it's firmer.

The bubble cover really should come off to film, or it creates terrible sunglare . . . maybe leave it on while you practice flying without using the camera, if you had it fitted when you had your crash, it might have protected the gimbal a little.

Good luck with testing it later on, hope it is all good.

One suggestion I would make is to check your credit card purchase protection offerings. Many credit cards will repair or replace a lost, stolen or damaged product within the first 30-90 days.

That's very true here in Australia too as my son bought a spark on his visa card, and flew it a lot for a few weeks so he could be sure no issues with it, or if he happened to crash it.

Well just an update....took little Mav out for a fly tonight...then also reviewed the footage. At first I saw this horrible shimmering shadow effect across the video...my heart sank.....but then when the drone rotated around, it was perfect...I figure this must have just been light reflecting off the props or something for a brief moment.

It all actually looks ok...could rotate the camera...footage of my house (outside!) looks smooth as I flew gently over to it....

I also went into a shop today...and noticed the shop Drone Gimble has also got this same a wobbly arrangement..must be normal.

So all in all, after a massive scare....I think I've got away with it....and it has given me a massive kick up the backside about taking extreme care...and to pull my head in and temper a little that adventurous spirit of..'let's just have a crack and see what happens!'

The only downside was my darling wife actually stumbled across this thread that I'd left open on a phone....and there were a few choice words to the effect of....'What...You flew the drone inside...and crashed it on your first day!! You are a goose!'. (Haven't been game to tell her I think there may a tiny prop indentation on the leather sofa!!)

Thanks all..enjoying the Mavic Pilots community....seems like a great bunch of people here! :)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

I also went into a shop today...and noticed the shop Drone Gimble has also got this same a wobbly arrangement..must be normal.....
The movement you are seeing is the gimble initializing on switch on. This is normal and it is the gimble doing a self test. after that initial movement, it should stay still.

I also flew my MP indoors first day and also had an unexpected
rapid movement and crashed. Thanfully I only broke 2 props. In fact in my first week, filming for a music video, I broke another 4 props. 13 hours flying and 60km later and not a single broken prop. It's just the learning curve :).

Reactions: amstar
Thanks mate....might look into those prop guards! Will definitely watch more of those vids too...I have literally been shaking my head all day...thinking..'what sort of a goose launces his $1700 brand new Mavic Pro off ..with zero experience....inside a house?!!' Might have to make a YouTube video called ' What not to do with your new Mavic Pro'..complete with a few Aussie expressions that articulate the sheer lunacy of such an attempt.

All I was actually trying to do was go up in the air 30cm and straight back down....why the thing decided to head Kamikaze style towards the bookshelf I don't know!

Anyway..by the look of it...it is actually normal for the Gimble to look a bit shaky inside it's cage? I won't know for certain until I try out some filming from the Drone to see if the Stabilization and tilt still works properly....

Hopefully all is well....and I got away with this one after all!

Thanks!

I still can’t get my head around it.....sorry to hear of the crash but I am super aware (here in the uk) of my surroundings before I launch as I can’t afford to destroy a less than month old mp and then get it replaced or fixed.

Best of luck in future

Well I have successfully done it...broken my Mavic Pro on the first day...from a height of about 3 feet!

Then decided to learn how to use the camera....thought to myself....this baby flies up so safely and evenly...it doesn't matter that there isn't much space here.....I'll just pop it up and straight back down....

I took off....it proceeded to slide sideways....I couldn't get it to hover still....tried to catch if before it slammed into something...partly cut my hand...the Drone dropped 2 feet..and now the Gimble won't calibrate and gives a Gimble error....

One day..and one dead Mavic Pro Camera gimble! Was not the wisest thing I've ever done...that is for sure!
Reading the manual would have informed you about the low light issues with your sensors. I see more mavics destroyed because people won't take the time to read the manual or research any questions before they fly. Very expensive mistake!

Make sure you switch VPS (vision positioning sensors) OFF during night /ambient light flying! [emoji3]

Lol

It's funny but not funny.

So I just purchased a spark and a mavic pro Platinum both that has been sitting in the Box for the past week. I haven't even opened up the Platinum and I just finally opened up the box for the spark.

All this time I have been watching videos scouring the forums for all the things that I need to consolidate as a checklist to make sure I'm not doing what I'm not supposed to be doing.

I'm so hesitant right now to do anything until I have everything situated or I understand exactly everything that is going to happen. Of course the only way you learn is if you try but I prefer not to spend any additional cost of repairing the Drone.

My biggest concern right now or is flyaways and I'm trying to make sure I protect myself before taking off and not seeing it again. I think right now it'll take me at least a few more days before I actually even attempt to try to fly something.

Lol

It's funny but not funny.

So I just purchased a spark and a mavic pro Platinum both that has been sitting in the Box for the past week. I haven't even opened up the Platinum and I just finally opened up the box for the spark.

All this time I have been watching videos scouring the forums for all the things that I need to consolidate as a checklist to make sure I'm not doing what I'm not supposed to be doing.

I'm so hesitant right now to do anything until I have everything situated or I understand exactly everything that is going to happen. Of course the only way you learn is if you try but I prefer not to spend any additional cost of repairing the Drone.

My biggest concern right now or is flyaways and I'm trying to make sure I protect myself before taking off and not seeing it again. I think right now it'll take me at least a few more days before I actually even attempt to try to fly something.

Get out in the open countryside, watch your surroundings and just fly! It gets easier!

Just make sure you run through a pre-flight checklist. If you search on here you’ll find one to check your bird before you leave and before you fly.

Hi Mavoz. Glad to hear you may have dodged a bullet with your first crash. When I fly indoors it is with prop guards and in Tripod mode. The prop guards really take the pucker-factor down a few notches. Just don't get too close to the ceiling; I did and it sucked itself right to it.

For the guards I recommend the DJI version. They have no gaps on the sides. Know that the prop cages someone mentioned will not work with the new quieter props.

You might want to check that your gimbal mount is still seated correctly. A short video describing this is at:

Now have fun! Your first crash has made you wiser in the ways of flying.

Last edited:
I just mine the other day. I was anxious to try it but nervous with my lack of experience. I took it outside in the dark in beginners mode. It started up, but the app basically said I'm not taking off in the dark in beginners mode. I laughed and realized I should wait to the next day. Took off on Tuesday and loved it.

It will be a while before I ever fly it inside, if ever.

All for nothing.

I can fly the cheapy crappy drones that lasts for like 5 mins or less that you can purchase in the store for less than 50 bucks and you have to trim it left right or front back because it drifts.

Does that count for some experience. [emoji23]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming