DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just like the big girls and boys

My preflight depends on the season. Since winter is our main season, my preflight during most of the year consists of removing the gimble cover and opening the legs while I'm inside the car for convenience. I step out of the car to begin the preflight. I close my eyes for 10 seconds. If I am able to open them and they are not frozen shut it is not too cold to fly. If the eyes aren't frozen shut it's probably warmer than -40F so no gloves will be needed if the flight is under 30min. If I was able to open the car door in spite of the wind the initial wind preflight is complete. After successfully opening my eyes I look to see that the wind didn't tear off the car door and checking to see that I'm still standing the second and final wind preflight is complete. At that point I realize I may need a landing pad if the snow is deep. People have stepped off snowmachines into deep powder snow and died of asphyxiation and I don't what that to happen to my drone so landing pads are often required. A block if ice from a nearby abandoned igloo is often easily available and will hold down the landing pad in most instances. Check. Drone on. Check. RC Pro on. Check. Now it's important to get the fingers locked in position. With the index fingers and thumbs moving they will typically remain ambulatory so it's best to get the rest of the fingers positioned around the RC Pro and locked in place as the lack of movement will normally allow their frozen grip to remain in place throughout the flight. Gripping too tight prevents the picking up of the drone after the flight if the index finger and thumb are not used often enough as they will also tend to freeze into place so each flight plan has to involve some movement of the sticks and wheels. A quick check for winter grizzlies outside of their den (quite dangerous) or approaching dog teams (often too quiet to even hear their approach) and the preflight is complete. You can view the end results in a few of my posts here. And there. Summer preflights revolve around necessary steps to take into account our state bird, CuUseta alaskaensis, the "Snow Mosquito". Seriously. That's the name of one of the early species to arrive. Large and slow, like swans, except..not. Appropriate preflight steps are too numerous to discuss here but rest assured, blood is lost and tears are shed. It ain't pretty in the summer.
I cannot find a block of ice from a nearby igloo here in Miami. What should I do?

Wow. Your conditions sound absolutely contrary to flying a drone. You do, however, have my admiration for your fine work.

Dale
Miami

Yes, for those who may need it. We’re not spinning up a 747… just a suggestion to maybe lessen the drone losses…not everyone has Care Refresh. Gimbal check, prop check, battery check, ensuring during your hover that you get a RTH confirmation. That’s it…the KISS approach. Not telling you what to do…just throwing it out there for those who might appreciate this novelty.

🇨🇦👍
I agree,I go through those so fast it's like 10 seconds, then you wait for RTH confirmed and off you go. I can't even conceive of one of the arms not being opened.

• Haha
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
My preflight depends on the season. Since winter is our main season, my preflight during most of the year consists of removing the gimble cover and opening the legs while I'm inside the car for convenience. I step out of the car to begin the preflight. I close my eyes for 10 seconds. If I am able to open them and they are not frozen shut it is not too cold to fly. If the eyes aren't frozen shut it's probably warmer than -40F so no gloves will be needed if the flight is under 30min. If I was able to open the car door in spite of the wind the initial wind preflight is complete. After successfully opening my eyes I look to see that the wind didn't tear off the car door and checking to see that I'm still standing the second and final wind preflight is complete. At that point I realize I may need a landing pad if the snow is deep. People have stepped off snowmachines into deep powder snow and died of asphyxiation and I don't what that to happen to my drone so landing pads are often required. A block if ice from a nearby abandoned igloo is often easily available and will hold down the landing pad in most instances. Check. Drone on. Check. RC Pro on. Check. Now it's important to get the fingers locked in position. With the index fingers and thumbs moving they will typically remain ambulatory so it's best to get the rest of the fingers positioned around the RC Pro and locked in place as the lack of movement will normally allow their frozen grip to remain in place throughout the flight. Gripping too tight prevents the picking up of the drone after the flight if the index finger and thumb are not used often enough as they will also tend to freeze into place so each flight plan has to involve some movement of the sticks and wheels. A quick check for winter grizzlies outside of their den (quite dangerous) or approaching dog teams (often too quiet to even hear their approach) and the preflight is complete. You can view the end results in a few of my posts here. And there. Summer preflights revolve around necessary steps to take into account our state bird, CuUseta alaskaensis, the "Snow Mosquito". Seriously. That's the name of one of the early species to arrive. Large and slow, like swans, except..not. Appropriate preflight steps are too numerous to discuss here but rest assured, blood is lost and tears are shed. It ain't pretty in the summer.
That’s hilarious I like it Pal

I cannot find a block of ice from a nearby igloo here in Miami. What should I do?

Wow. Your conditions sound absolutely contrary to flying a drone. You do, however, have my admiration for your fine work.

Dale
Miami
hah! move North!

I assume you have adequate toilet paper and a back up battery for your jock strap heater.

I like the battery idea but truthfully I do carry toilet paper. Sometimes it's an hour or 4 between toilets... Humorously my granddaughter in highschool went on a trip Outside for the first time. As a family with her along were driving down a highway of some sort she asked them if they'd pull over for a moment. When they asked why she explained she needed to go to the bathroom. They were aghast and said she couldn't do that. She was perplexed and said "but..I need to use the restrooom!" and the reiterated she could not simply get out of the car and she pointed out there were trees and bushes available but they would not stop the car until they got to some gas station or something. She was quite irritated. We all laughed when she told us.

Mate,you are one funny man. Like your style.

I do find it interesting, the degree to which many people (not just you) go to set things up, log things, check weather apps and such. I do absolutely none of that. Get out of the car, look around, feel the wind, fly. No judgment...just interesting to learn about other people's procedures.
Wait, wait, wait....

You aren't using an app to check the Kp index before you fly? Flirting with disaster. 😛

Wait, wait, wait....

You aren't using an app to check the Kp index before you fly? Flirting with disaster. 😛

In Alaska, you look up to see the activity of the Northern Lights to judge the Kp index. ;)

No app needed.

Don't worry about the Kp index.

Go fly. 👍

I have one on the gimball covber of my Mini2 and of my Mavic 2 Pro. Before, it happened a few times I forgot to take off the gimball cover and now I am remembered to take if off before the flight :)

Last edited:
There was some other thread awhile ago about various anemometers and weather apps and what was the best for getting the wind check accurate before deciding to fly, blah blah poindexter blah blah 😁

I have my face and my eyes. How does the wind feel on my face, how are the trees/bushes/grass moving.

That's plenty accurate.

Wait, wait, wait....

I feel the Kp in my bonez baby...

Sounds like you could use several of these tags then.

My Pre flight I check the props then take off to 3 ft and hover a few second to HPS then I fly over to my concrete landing pad and land take of reset HP then I fly left then right the up then down and I spin left and right then frw and back to make sure all controls are working properly then I go fly

Reactions: LoudThunder
I have one on each one of my drone bags. They have the typical remove before flight on one side and than something aviation related on the other.

I have a Pratt and Whitney, Grumman F14 Tomcat, United States Naval Academy, and a Navy Fighter Squadron VFA 101 Grim Reapers. I came across them at an aviation museum gift shop. Found the academy one in a gift shop in Annapolis MD.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Yes, for those who may need it. We’re not spinning up a 747… just a suggestion to maybe lessen the drone losses…not everyone has Care Refresh. Gimbal check, prop check, battery check, ensuring during your hover that you get a RTH confirmation. That’s it…the KISS approach. Not telling you what to do…just throwing it out there for those who might appreciate this novelty.

🇨🇦👍
Derek Johnson, the English gentleman instructor, who taught me to fly gliders used a straightforward cockpit checklist that was easy to remember - the acronym CB-SIFT-CB. I'd used printed checklists for Cessnas and Pipers, but this worked fine for gliders and it never got lost under the seat. Perhaps someone could sort out something similar for drones.

C - Controls (free and easy movement of ailerons, rudder, elevator)
B - Ballast (as required, most often if you're back seat in a two-seater with a lightweight up front or trying for a speed/distance flight)

S - Straps (Harness buckled and secure)
I - Instruments (primarily the altimeter set to field level)
F - Flaps (none in most gliders, but included for covering power aircraft)
T - Trim (elevator trim set propertly)

C - Canopy (closed and locked)
B - Brakes (Gliders have brake panels that emerge from the top of the wing for losing altitude or reducing airspeed. When deployed on takeoff they give a little more roll stability on the initial roll as speed and airflow build.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman