DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just Passed Canada Basic Drone Exam - Thoughts

Parrotoid

Reactions
I just completed the exam and passed. It’s not an easy exam by any means, but it’s not overly difficult if you spend just a bit of time preparing. Being multiple choice, you can often get the answer by eliminating the bad ones, but often you’re left with two good ones. That’s what I found difficult. I have always done well in exams, but I only passed this pass/fail exam with a 74% (you need 65% to pass). I spent about 3 hours preparing and the exam took me 80 minutes of 90 allowable. More prep would have helped, but honestly, there were some questions I just wouldn’t have expected at all. My weakest area was aircraft telephony. I’ve had no drone experience and I’m currently waiting for my MA2 to arrive.

Here’s how I prepared.

1. I watched Don Joyce’s YouTube video on the basic exam
I had a notepad and took 3 pages of notes, pausing the video often. I think this video was a great prep tool. I referred to these notes a few times during the exam, but they were primarily a study tool and I had them memorized.

2. I skimmed the documents Don mentions, paying close attention to the “901.xx” regulations. Many answers were there.

3. I had the documents opened in PDF form when I took the exam; however, they are so long I rarely referred to them.

4. Google! I used my Chrome browser specifically for searching when I felt lost or confused by answer choices. (This happens more than you'd expect)

Hope this info helps someone.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I took the exam March 2019 and passed. Found Don’s info afterwards - wish I would have found it sooner. Good stuff.

Reactions: Parrotoid
Congratulations! I took the exam March 2019 and passed. Found Don’s info afterwards - wish I would have found it sooner. Good stuff.
Thanks, man. Sarniac...I take it you’re from Sarnia? I’m heading there tomorrow and hoping there is at least one chip truck open. ;)Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS