DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just want to show love for the Zoom

Nice story. Bad font color on the mobile app and if in USA, the height of 400 plus is against regulation.
No one asked if 400 plus was against regulation so why do you feel the need to write something like this on this guy's post? Come on man are ya 12? Reminds of a "tattletale" or like a "snitch"..... Its like when i was an 8 yr old boy and my brother had to remind me that bed time was 8 oclock....no sh#t ....everyone knows about the 400ft rule im sure the op knows....some of you guys on here really go above and beyond....boy ill tell ya whato_O i mean do u want a pat on the back? Do u think what your doing is going to change the outcome? No right? So why be that guy....i mean im all for being safe but gat dam stop beating 5 dead horses. No a barrel of dead horses!!!! Sorry just venting bro but ya had to be "that guy" im just tired of seeing the negativity...instead of the positivity. The guy is excited no need to beat rules into his head he already knows and if he does break the law...its him that will deal with it....not u!

Last edited:
Off topic- just read the fact sheet, it does not mention required drone registration unless you are part 107. Was this changed again?
No. There is no altitude limit except within 5 (?) miles of an airport for recreational users. This will likely change in the near future but this is a fact.

Reactions: bonzo
I choose C (both A and B). We both know it’s a loophole. But seriously, it would have been much safer if it stated it the other way and Hobbyists were the ones that had to stay under 400 ft not just 107 holders. I trust the licensed fliers’ judgment more than people who don’t know the rules or safety concerns. But we have digressed from the topic too much, so we can catch up on it later... :)

OP: welcome to Mavic 2 flying, they are awesome little robots of the skies!

Last edited:
Reactions: JDawg
I choose C (both A and B). We both know it’s a loophole. But seriously, it would have been much safer if it stated it the other way and Hobbyists were the ones that had to stay under 400 ft not just 107 holders. I trust the licensed fliers’ judgment more than people who don’t know the rules or safety concerns. But we have digressed from the topic too much, so we can catch up on it later... :)

Well it has been this way for a long time. The fact is there is no height limit and the fact is Calvin is a problem solver :)

Reactions: Mike4884 and AMann

Any 107 holder can also fly as recreation if they aren't working for money.

There were days it was just so inconsistent that I thought I had a lemon. My best flight was 17 mins and 1.1 miles long. As a dev/technologist, I know that actual speed differs from “company rated” speed. Still... I saw youtube videos with people totally ripping it and my lackluster success really started to bring rain clouds on my happiness.

UNTIL....

I took my Mavic Air back, and purchased the Zoom! I missed the size of the Mavic Air, but I wanted to welcome the increased range, flight time, and the plethora of cool accessories that came with the Mavic 2 series.

The key reason DJI owns the camera drone market is their communications technology, today called Ocu-Sync 2, which is the latest iteration. It started out as Lightbridge, released in 2014 in the Inspire, then 2015 in the Phantom 3P/A models. This communications technology is key to the signal integrity from Air to Ground, and nobody else has it. Everyone else uses a version of Wifi. Spark and Mavic Air use Wifi, which really suck IMO. I expect the next MavicAir will have OcuSync2. That's would be a cute craft. Many folks don't know how bad WiFi is until they spend $400 or $500 to find out, and get disappointed when they see MP or M2 fly 3miles away with no problem. Your experience is like everyone else, you're lucky to get a mile with Mavic Air, and less with Spark. Wifi was not designed for air to ground video transmission, it was designed to support business transactions on PC's, insuring each packet of info is correct with no bits lost. That goal isn't important for drone video to be sent from air to ground. Lightbridge was designed with that in mine, and focused on what's important for video communications. COMMUNICATION DISTANCE, SIGNAL INTEGRITY, LOW CONNECTION SYNC TIME, CLARITY, LOW LATENCY. DJI's digital transmission has about 150 to 200ms latency, which doesn't support low enough latency to be used in race drones which have latency of about 3 to 8ms (if I remember right). Race drones use analogy signals to minimize latency, which is very important due to their high speeds. With DJI camera drones "super low latency" is not imperative, but it's still important. Lightbride/OcuSync has lower latency then Wifi, and much better distance, signal integrity (less interference), and well as faster connect times.

It's been a good 4yrs since DJI released the original Lightbridge. To my knowledge no other company has bothered to design a proprietary communications technology similar. They all seem to use a "Version" of Wifi. It's unlikely I'll by a different brand because of this.

Last edited:
I started my passion for drones with the Mavic Air.. I bought it because I wanted a bit more than the Spark, but didn’t want to spend Mavic 2 or Mavic Pro money for that matter, before I fully embraced this new passion.

So.. I loved it.. I took it out on at least 50 flights in 2 weeks, fully enthralled in my new hobby. I had a great time, besides all of the weak transmission & RC lost errors. There were days it was just so inconsistent that I thought I had a lemon. My best flight was 17 mins and 1.1 miles long. As a dev/technologist, I know that actual speed differs from “company rated” speed. Still... I saw youtube videos with people totally ripping it and my lackluster success really started to bring rain clouds on my happiness.

UNTIL....

I took my Mavic Air back, and purchased the Zoom! I missed the size of the Mavic Air, but I wanted to welcome the increased range, flight time, and the plethora of cool accessories that came with the Mavic 2 series.

I’ve taken it out on a few flights and last night, I did what always felt was impossible. I took the Zoom out 16,575 feet or 3.1 miles, and then got home with 40%, with absolutely no drop outs. My total distance (after returning home on 40% and playing around close to me) was 38,094 feet or 7.2 miles. I did this in the same place I always took my Air, where I consistently had weak transmission issues around 2,000 feet or .37 miles. The M2Z floored my expectations!

A lot of these threads are full of issues, but I wanted to show my love for my drone. The Mavic 2 Zoom is a SWEET piece of gear, and getting it on sale for 1150 @ Best Buy after trading my Air back, was AWESOME. I’m in love, hope you love yours too!

Cheers

P.S. Screenshot of my longest distance flight with the new Zoom.

View attachment 62123
Hey! Awesome job man, the Mavic 2 Zoom is a superb drone. I managed to test it in cold weather, too, below the specs in the manual (-10 degrees Celsius or 14 F) and it worked really well. I didn't manage to go beyond 3-4 km, but even at that distance, the signal was strong. I use the DJI VR Goggles and the image was pristine and without any interruptions. At least on the temperature subject, it can go beyond its official specs, as far as I've tested it.

THIS VIDEO was shot at around -16 degrees Celsius (3.2 F)
THIS VIDEO was shot at about -11 degrees Celsius (12.2 F) - after I landed, the propellers had a thin layer of ice on them, on the backside, opposite the side in which the propellers were rotating... Image below.

_DSC0440_2.jpg

Reactions: Chip
Nice video, good music selection, great editing. I have flown while snowing one time with my MavicP and it worked flawless. Unlike rain, snow doesn't mess up the camera lens, so flying in cold weather (within reason) below 0C is viable and interesting. I didn't have frost on my props though, but my temp was more like -4C when I flew to capture some deer in Colorado.

Reactions: CiprianS and ff22
AHH Holmdel N.J., grew up in Keyport and went to Holmdel Park quite often. Would love to be able to fly around the hometown area and Raritan Bay.
Now in Flat Florida, but warm.

Last edited:
Nice video, good music selection, great editing. I have flown while snowing one time with my MavicP and it worked flawless. Unlike rain, snow doesn't mess up the camera lens, so flying in cold weather (within reason) below 0C is viable and interesting. I didn't have frost on my props though, but my temp was more like -4C when I flew to capture some deer in Colorado.

Great Video and what an excellent example of what a drone can do.

AHH Holmdel N.J., grew up in Keyport and went to Holmdel Park quite often. Would love to be able to fly around the hometown area and Raritan Bay.
Now in Flat Florida, but warm.

Awesome man.. the world is such a small place. I'd trade you for Florida in a heart beat though. I bought my drone in the dead of winter and I wish I could fly more but im def making time when I can.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdjtutt