DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kalamazoo, MI - New Mavic Pilot

conorearly

Reactions
Hi All! Any other Mavic/DJI/drone in the Kalamazoo/SW Michigan area? Looking for any good tips on cool places or things to fly around and get some good shots.

Hi All! Any other Mavic/DJI/drone in the Kalamazoo/SW Michigan area? Looking for any good tips on cool places or things to fly around and get some good shots.

Welcome

I'm just north of Detroit.

Michigan has a drone preemption law which prevents parks, cities, and other municipalities from regulating drones. This means you can fly anywhere the FAA allows without fear of violating some local ordinance.

Reactions: Kara
just got mine about a week ago, still learning and having a blast !

Belle Isle is a must do.

Battle Creek here. Just drove to South Haven and looked for a spot north of town out of the 5 mile range. No luck finding a legal place to launch so the drone stayed in the case.

So far I've just flown outside the 5 mile range around Harper Creek high school and a little further south at Graham Lake.

My next try will be around Gull Lake...

How about you?

Battle Creek here. Just drove to South Haven and looked for a spot north of town out of the 5 mile range. No luck finding a legal place to launch so the drone stayed in the case.

So far I've just flown outside the 5 mile range around Harper Creek high school and a little further south at Graham Lake.

My next try will be around Gull Lake...

How about you?

I just looked at the chart for south haven and don't see any controlled airspace.

What were you trying to keep 5 miles from?

Muskegon, south bend, or Kalamazoo appear to be the nearest controlled airspace to south haven if I'm reading the chart correctly.

image.png

The rings immediately around the blue dots represent controlled airspace at the surface.

Except that one in holland...I don't think that's controlled at the surface.

Palisades nuclear power plant might be the reason for the restricted airspace.

I might try and do Kindleberger Park tomorrow in Parchment. They have a nice water tower to shoot, plus a lot of industrial buildings just outside of town.

I am from Bridgman I fly the beach a lot we have the cook nuclear plant and I have no restrictions

I just looked at the chart for south haven and don't see any controlled airspace.

What were you trying to keep 5 miles from?

Muskegon, south bend, or Kalamazoo appear to be the nearest controlled airspace to south haven if I'm reading the chart correctly.

South Haven Area Regional. I thought you had to contact the tower if you were within 5 miles of an airport. I wasn't aware if they had a control tower or not so I just decided to move on..

I'm in Parchment. Just got my Mavic a couple of days ago. It's all registered and I've got my Part 107 certificate so I'm ready to go. I'm also a part 91 pilot so I can help some with airspace questions etc.

conorearly you mentioned flying at Kindleberger. That's within the surface based Class E extension off of Kalamazoo's rwy 17/35 so technically you need ATC permission to fly there.

Welcome

I'm just north of Detroit.

Michigan has a drone preemption law which prevents parks, cities, and other municipalities from regulating drones. This means you can fly anywhere the FAA allows without fear of violating some local ordinance.

Wasn't Mackinac Island trying to ban drones? I go up there a couple times a year. I haven't tried to fly there yet.

I'm in Parchment. Just got my Mavic a couple of days ago. It's all registered and I've got my Part 107 certificate so I'm ready to go. I'm also a part 91 pilot so I can help some with airspace questions etc.

conorearly you mentioned flying at Kindleberger. That's within the surface based Class E extension off of Kalamazoo's rwy 17/35 so technically you need ATC permission to fly there.

Where do you take your Mavic to fly?

upload_2017-8-3_10-37-20.png

How about a little local airspace lesson? This is the current sectional chart from our area.

The magenta "Fade" rings around the airports don't really indicate controlled airspace, they indicate the floor of the controlled Class E airspace above. Outside the OD of the ring the floor of the class E is 1200', inside the OD the floor is 700'. Since our upper limit is 400' we can legally fly inside those rings. If you do you need to be aware of airport traffic patterns and likely active runways and pay attention to aircraft activity.

If you look at Benton Harbor airport, it has a dashed magenta circle around it. This is class E "Surface based" controlled airspace, and you can't fly inside here without contacting ATC for permission/clearance. The same holds true for the dashed magenta Class E surface based approach/departure extensions you see north and south of Kalamazoo's airspace. (They're a little hard to see because of the information density) You'll also see that the dashed circle around Kalamazoo is blue. This indicates that it's Class D and you definitely can't fly in that area without contacting ATC. The grey rings around Kalamazoo indicate it's TRSA (terminal radar service area). It's shaped like an upside down wedding cake and because of it's altitude floors has no effect on our flying.

Essentially, we can fly in "Uncontrolled" (by the FAA/ATC) airspace minus any other restrictions like national/state parks, sports arenas, etc. The trick is to know which airspace is controlled. Class E is controlled airspace above 700' or 1200' depending on the magenta fade ring and to the surface in some cases as indicated.

Hope this helps. Critique, disagreement, and questions gladly accepted.

Last edited:
Very good information, thank you for taking the time to explain. So inside the magenta and blue rings atc needs notification, others like South Haven Regional you don't need to make contact if there are no magenta or blue dashed lines around correct?

I'll be flying in Detroit this Sunday afternoon/night (January 21st) before DJI Aerial Photo Academy the next day. Anyone else going?

I'll be flying in Detroit this Sunday afternoon/night (January 21st) before DJI Aerial Photo Academy the next day. Anyone else going?

Use caution as most of downtown is in controlled airspace because of its proximity to city airport which is class d from 3,100 feet to the surface.

Reactions: Kara
Use caution as most of downtown is in controlled airspace because of its proximity to city airport which is class d from 3,100 feet to the surface.
Thanks, I know this. I usually stick to the Belle Isle area.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78