DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Kalamazoo, MI - New Mavic Pilot

View attachment 18746

How about a little local airspace lesson? This is the current sectional chart from our area.

The magenta "Fade" rings around the airports don't really indicate controlled airspace, they indicate the floor of the controlled Class E airspace above. Outside the OD of the ring the floor of the class E is 1200', inside the OD the floor is 700'. Since our upper limit is 400' we can legally fly inside those rings. If you do you need to be aware of airport traffic patterns and likely active runways and pay attention to aircraft activity.

If you look at Benton Harbor airport, it has a dashed magenta circle around it. This is class E "Surface based" controlled airspace, and you can't fly inside here without contacting ATC for permission/clearance. The same holds true for the dashed magenta Class E surface based approach/departure extensions you see north and south of Kalamazoo's airspace. (They're a little hard to see because of the information density) You'll also see that the dashed circle around Kalamazoo is blue. This indicates that it's Class D and you definitely can't fly in that area without contacting ATC. The grey rings around Kalamazoo indicate it's TRSA (terminal radar service area). It's shaped like an upside down wedding cake and because of it's altitude floors has no effect on our flying.

Essentially, we can fly in "Uncontrolled" (by the FAA/ATC) airspace minus any other restrictions like national/state parks, sports arenas, etc. The trick is to know which airspace is controlled. Class E is controlled airspace above 700' or 1200' depending on the magenta fade ring and to the surface in some cases as indicated.

Hope this helps. Critique, disagreement, and questions gladly accepted.

Excellent post. I think this applies best to part 107 pilots. I'm not convinced all of the information is applicable to hobbiest.

Just wanted to add that as a part 107 pilot you can fly 400' above a structure within a 400' radius but you cannot exceed 700 or 1200 feet agl depending on the floor of
Class E airspace. So inside the faded magenta line, if you wanted to fly 400' above a 500' tower, you would be in violation of the rules as your drone would now be in controlled, class e, airspace.

Reactions: Aimhigh17
Thanks, I know this. I usually stick to the Belle Isle area.

There is a realatively famous photographer who has filmed several Detroit fires, and I know at least some of these were in controlled airspace. I'm not the drone police, I just hate to see a high profile guy get caught because he is constantly posting videos to YouTube while flying in controlled airspace without permission.

There is a realatively famous photographer who has filmed several Detroit fires, and I know at least some of these were in controlled airspace. I'm not the drone police, I just hate to see a high profile guy get caught because he is constantly posting videos to YouTube while flying in controlled airspace without permission.
Yeah, I totally get that. I see some illegal stuff too from some big names, people mention it and they don't seem to care too much.

I'll be flying in Detroit this Sunday afternoon/night (January 21st) before DJI Aerial Photo Academy the next day. Anyone else going?

Would love to hear any feedback you have on the DJI Aerial Photo Academy please. I'm considering attending as well. Thanks!

I live in coloma, MI so just about 40 mins west of you just off I-94. looks like we have a few pilots in the area. I also work with 2 other guys who have UAV's that love to fly.

I'll be flying in Detroit this Sunday afternoon/night (January 21st) before DJI Aerial Photo Academy the next day. Anyone else going?

Any info on this DJI Aerial Photo Academy? I know of a couple pilots that would really be interested in this.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mavic Air. Looking for area's to practice flying in the Flint - Saginaw areas to fly. Any suggestions?

The airport in South Haven has no control tower. I fly along the lake all the time and get some great shots.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Mavic Air. Looking for area's to practice flying in the Flint - Saginaw areas to fly. Any suggestions?
Did you ever buy that Mavic?.. if not check out my for sale in the classifieds.. I live in Kazoo

I’m a new pilot just north of Detroit, Warren. Flown a few times but always looking for somewhere fun to go explore

Reactions: Cslucas34
I’m a new pilot just north of Detroit, Warren. Flown a few times but always looking for somewhere fun to go explore

Welcome Jahlgrim! There are a few of us in the Detroit area, myself included. A couple of us go to the MGM parking garage and fly from the top floor to get some city views.

I m in Ann Arbor, been to Belle Isle twice, even at Belle Isle I had few instances where the drone could not finish the automated commands due to Border with Canada but great shots. Patiently waiting for Michigan Vegetation to come back to Life, Its way too Gray.

Any issues flying at bell isle? Did you fly toward the Ren Cen?

I’ve flown on Belle Isle several times with no issues. However, I wouldn’t go towards the RenCen. My wife works there, so I decided to fly my MP one time after dropping her off. It didn’t go well for me that morning. I had the Border Patrol, RenCen security, and Detroit PD giving me crap just before getting off the ground. They told me that I had to go south of the Ambassador bridge and to not go towards the buildings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser