Join Us Now

KangaAir - Clouds of Inspiration Project - Lao Cai Adventure, Vietnam

KangaAir

Reactions

E11 Lao Cai Adventure

Film location: Lao Cai Province, Vietnam

Drone: Mavic Air

Video: 1080P 30 & 60fps

KangaAir is an aerial photographer and passionate observer of nature, life & lifestyle.

Mission:
Publisher of digital images and promoter of music talent. We help reveal the natural beauty of our planet, diverse lifestyle and cultures to an international audience.

Videos & photos published are for non commercial use only.

Reactions: Whitwellian
Nice one man, when did you fly there? Did you have any troubles in Laos? I'm trying to gather as much data as possible to create a guide around drone use in the country. Also, it seems you've been to Vietnam and Spain, any feedback there? Safe flying!

Thx Paul, I was in Vietnam last June for around 3 weeks, entry through Hanoi. Zero questions about the drone I was carrying in backpack. (Mavic Air), it was opened during inspection no questions, baterries & drone all clearly visible. Similar in Spain for 5 weeks during July-Aug. Have been there twice this year in Madrid, Almeria & Seville filming. In regional areas (countryside) people are fine, provided you say what your doing before hand. All my experiences have received curiosity-interest in the drone hovering around. Some ask to have some of the film sent to them which I am happy to oblige to.

Spain, Czk Republic, Poland, Slovakia don't require licenses but follow similar regulations to Austria. Maximum height 120m, flying within line of sight, keep away from cities and heavy populated areas. Consult with people closer than 50 metres before lifting off.

I often donate feature films to communities or people eg: like the Beekeeper of Lubrin, Spain (
) giving them something special. Rural people are very proud of their achievements but getting little recognition in my opinion. So I find them very receptive to filming.

For me using the drone ... provided you explain what you're doing first and don't just do fly overs without consultation. I have had zero bad experiences travelling to date.

In Europe, I have an official drone license (Austrian) + insurance, their pretty strict here. Cannot even fly on a Sunday or public holiday.

Golden rule for me, check local regulations consult if people are nearby eg: 50 metres. Keep away from crowded areas and especially check for any no fly zones like military or flight paths which Vietnam and Spain have quite a few. I keep well away from these zones. Heaps of places to film without a need to move into these high traffic zones.

When filming just outside of Madrid, eg; Pinteresco Vegazones (
) can view via KangaAir youtube channel. I spoke with the mayor initially. He was totally excited to have his village filmed. This gave me all the permission I needed to do an approved fly over. You will see from the viewing stats, all the people in the village plus more took a peek 1000+ in 3 days. I had also spoken with local police, they also had no issues once I explained what I was doing.

Lai Cao Province was no problem at all. Halong Bay also no problem, the boat captain let me do fly overs while anchored on a two night cruise. (
)

Wishing you safe flying too mate, great to see your energy supporting people.

I will post you anything I come across in my travels across Europe, based from Austria.

Best regards Ken

Reactions: j.r.r.
This is simply awesome, thanks heaps! Your feedback helped me complete the Vietnam Full Guide :)
I definitely agree with you that flying in rural places and informing ahead is so much more rewarding on both sides. You show what the country is really about and the guys onsite are super happy to see their world from a bird's eye - priceless!

Here's a photo illustrating this moment in Fiji for me:
2018-01-13-15h17m20.jpg

I had no idea about Sunday & Public Holidays in Austria.. definitely a good point to note. Let me know whenever you have further info; I usually send by email any new country regulation provided a member confirmed his interest from the website. If this is something that you want to share furthermore, I would definitely welcome some help to build a real world's regulation database (objective for early 2019).

Reactions: KangaAir
This is simply awesome, thanks heaps! Your feedback helped me complete the Vietnam Full Guide:)
I definitely agree with you that flying in rural places and informing ahead is so much more rewarding on both sides. You show what the country is really about and the guys onsite are super happy to see their world from a bird's eye - priceless!

Here's a photo illustrating this moment in Fiji for me:
View attachment 54567

I had no idea about Sunday & Public Holidays in Austria.. definitely a good point to note. Let me know whenever you have further info; I usually send by email any new country regulation provided a member confirmed his interest from the website. If this is something that you want to share furthermore, I would definitely welcome some help to build a real world's regulation database (objective for early 2019).

Glad I was able to contribute Paul, just subscribed to your website. Congratulations it's a great approach, really enjoyed the interface.

Would be more than happy in the new year to help you out where I can in the EU. I hope to be doing a trip into Scotland & the UK next also.

Visiting family back in OZ (Melbourne) mid December for 8 weeks, looking forward to a chat by phone if you're in OZ?

Cheers Ken

Glad I was able to contribute Paul, just subscribed to your website. Congratulations it's a great approach, really enjoyed the interface.

Would be more than happy in the new year to help you out where I can in the EU. I hope to be doing a trip into Scotland & the UK next also.

Visiting family back in OZ (Melbourne) mid December for 8 weeks, looking forward to a chat by phone if you're in OZ?

Cheers Ken

The UK is pretty relaxed when it comes to flying. The regs are short but effective and whilst a lot of places ask you don’t fly over their land (and they technically have a right to do so) enforcement is rare so long as you’re sensible and polite.

I asked a friendly copper what their take on it was and they said if they don’t see it actually happening then they would very rarely take any follow up action.

I use my judgement to decide whether a flight is safe and if a landowner asks me to move on I politely pack my bags and go.

Reactions: paulrawlingson
The UK is pretty relaxed when it comes to flying. The regs are short but effective and whilst a lot of places ask you don’t fly over their land (and they technically have a right to do so) enforcement is rare so long as you’re sensible and polite.

I asked a friendly copper what their take on it was and they said if they don’t see it actually happening then they would very rarely take any follow up action.

I use my judgement to decide whether a flight is safe and if a landowner asks me to move on I politely pack my bags and go.
Tks @dannybgoode , I haven't had a chance to study UK laws in details yet but I guess its one of the ones where the most results would appear when typing the request in English in Google. Are you aware if there any differences with commercial rules in case you want to sell your photos?

Tks @dannybgoode , I haven't had a chance to study UK laws in details yet but I guess its one of the ones where the most results would appear when typing the request in English in Google. Are you aware if there any differences with commercial rules in case you want to sell your photos?

You need your PFCO to operate commercially (similar to part 107 which all the attaching discussions and arguments around selling photographs that you took prior to gaining it etc).

There is also one incident where the National Trust successfully sued a commercial photographer for selling images of one of their buildings successfully arguing they are the commercial rights holder of the image rights of the building. I keep meaning to study the ruling in detail.

Civil law also comes into things as above iro of landowner rights etc which are a more important consideration if you’re licensed. One of those slightly paradoxical situations where you’re more likely to have issues if you have your PFCO than not because you should know the rules.

If you have any specific questions feel free to drop me a pm. I know plenty of useful people to pester for answers!

You need your PFCO to operate commercially (similar to part 107 which all the attaching discussions and arguments around selling photographs that you took prior to gaining it etc).

There is also one incident where the National Trust successfully sued a commercial photographer for selling images of one of their buildings successfully arguing they are the commercial rights holder of the image rights of the building. I keep meaning to study the ruling in detail.

Civil law also comes into things as above iro of landowner rights etc which are a more important consideration if you’re licensed. One of those slightly paradoxical situations where you’re more likely to have issues if you have your PFCO than not because you should know the rules.

If you have any specific questions feel free to drop me a pm. I know plenty of useful people to pester for answers!

Cool tks - your feedback inspired me to set up the full blog post about wonderful UK :) I see that new rules will appear in NOV 2019 involving every drone owner to register which gives us 1 more year ;)

Cool tks - your feedback inspired me to set up the full blog post about wonderful UK :) I see that new rules will appear in NOV 2019 involving every drone owner to register which gives us 1 more year ;)

Yes - some of it was implemented in July (max altitude, distance from crowds etc) but the registration etc will be fun. The test will be very basic - I have seen some sample question questions.

The new regs though still don’t take account of civil law though. That’s where the real fun begins as to who can fly where :)

Yes - some of it was implemented in July (max altitude, distance from crowds etc) but the registration etc will be fun. The test will be very basic - I have seen some sample question questions.

The new regs though still don’t take account of civil law though. That’s where the real fun begins as to who can fly where :)
Found this map which allows residents to add their 'no fly over my lands' wishes... pretty cool; No Fly Drones

Reactions: dannybgoode
I’d better not look at that! Would rather not know so I can plead ignorance :).

I’ll check it out later. Thanks for sharing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54