DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keep mini 1 or upgradeto mini2

Greetings,Well for me my choice is the Mavic mini 1 drone. Though the mini 2 has a better video and photo quality with 4K
And longer range.
I really like the mini 1 drone and after the most recent update, it has some great features and improved range and some what better photo quality.
I have had over 496 flights now and so far all have been great.
lol I think my drone wants to rest some after so many flights [emoji28][emoji927][emoji927]

I am sticking with the mini.
The occusync sounds like a good thing BUT I haven't really run into connection issues with the MM and it can easily fly beyond my visual range so do I NEED occusync? I do not think so.
RAW might be nice for photos but I haven't even got onto RAW with a DSLR and my video watching equipment struggles with 4k.
The controller, I prefer the idea of the flight mode selector being on the controller as on the "2" but the "2" controller is a lot bigger than the MM so what will its portability be like. Nor am I sure I like the one direction, extending phone-holder/antennae idea, I keep wondering how the wiring inside the controller is going to cope with the flexing of extending and retracting the phone holder.
Then of course there is the cost, which has gone up quite steeply.
Wind resistance isn't a factor for me.

Technology moves too fast , I bought a Gopro 8 and a few months later they have the 9... I bought the mini and now this... The dynamic range between a 2.7k and 4k is not that much unless you're watching it on a 85 inch tv. I usually wait for a couple of years to upgrade. Good thing there's a market for used drones and gopros.

Reactions: OUTBACK
Technology moves fast. Unfortunately, purchasing power and income does not move as fast, waaahhhh!

Still, I would consider upgrading to the Mini 2 ?

Reactions: OUTBACK
I was just wondering what people were thinking about the new drone and if it is going to be worth it to upgrade?
For this reason I made a list of what's new etc:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance 18 – 23 mph.
3. Digital zoom feature.
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph.
9. High video bit rate 100 mbps. Up from 40 mbps.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Can use Smart controller with it.
14. Shoots in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.

Reactions: bonzo
Just my opinion, I bought the MM1 fly-more and in six weeks I was bored with it. The decision cost me a fortune, but I bit the bullet and went up to the Mavic Air 2 fly-more and almost totally stopped flying the MM1.

This thing is amazing and has all the bells and whistles.(But you would expect it to for literally double the price!!)

I did sell my MM1 with full intentions of buying the Mini 2 as well, but when I did the old ‘Pro’s & Cons’ list it was pretty clear to me that I don’t need two quads.

My point is that you need to figure out exactly what you’re wanting to do with a drone before you buy it, and what features you really want vs the price point you need to stay under. I wish I had done that, however, the MM1 is still totally amazing too.

For the price there’s nothing out there that is as portable and flys as well as the Mavic Mini. I’ll never regret buying it because it is the drone that taught me what it’s like to fly a real drone instead of a toy, and even now I still miss the portability. The Air 2 isn’t huge by any means, but it’s not as portable as the Mini.

I joined DroneLink and was having a great time with component based flight plans, waypoints and automation which is fully supported now for the Mini 1, but to date the Air 2 is still not supported. I’m hopeful the SDK will be out soon and I can get back into DroneLink again.

So in summary, I’m not sure there’s enough in the Mini 2 to upgrade from the original. I would suggest possibly staying with the mini 1, get DroneLink and play with automation, waypoints etc. A better value upgrade may be the Air 2, but we’re all different and you may be totally happy with the Mini 2. All I know is if it’s got a DJI badge on it it’s going to fly great!! (Sorry to ramble on...)

Point 9 follows with point 6. 100Mbs only applies to 4K video. 2.7K is still 40Mbs

You do lose a bit of quality at 2.7K, assuming you really do get 100Mbs in 4K. If you compare pixel ratios, you'd need 50Mbs to get the same average bits per pixel

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne