DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keep or return Air 3????

There are many reviews that claim its a later generation of the dual-amp Omnivision sensor, updated to be back-lit and stacked.

Original Dobo covers it nicely in his review. Go to 16:00:

Reactions: BearMan54
There are many reviews that claim its a later generation of the dual-amp Omnivision sensor, updated to be back-lit and stacked.

Original Dobo covers it nicely in his review. Go to 16:00:

That's interesting and he does a nice explanation of the technology but it's worth pointing out that the Omnivision OC48c (announced Jan 5 2020) is a BSI, stacked die and most believe it's what's in the Mini 3 Pro. To be honest, he sounded a bit in the tank for DJI at 14:10 when he explains that cropping the picture is an ingenious way to get a vertically oriented video. Cropping is ingenious? Really?

Original announcement from Omnivision discussion January 2020:

The Pilot Institute does some really good work with reviews; it's one of the few sources that doesn't just show over saturated video from every new drone and declare it brilliant. From their video review, it's pretty clear: the Mavic 3 with its 4/3 sensor is better; the Air 2s loses out; and the Air 3 and Mini Pro 3 are identical except in a few minor cases where the Mini 3 Pro looks a little better. I chock the last up to sample variation. This link should take you directly to the comparison otherwise its around 16:30.

As least for the main sensor, your "I would love to have this sensor in my Mini3P", seems already to be true. DJI is just using this everywhere: MSN

Fly your drone, be happy. Unless you need a faster drone with a neat telephoto 2nd lens or wish for side obstacle detection, you're all set.

mera
Hi. First ever post. So I just bought an Air 3. Got it yesterday. So far I've just updated the firmware. The last drone I had was a Mavic 2 zoom. Sold that nearly 2 years ago. Logged a lot of hours on it so have some experience with that size of drone. Anyway I've been wanting to get back into it again and with the release of the air 3 I thought now would be a good time to jump in.

Rather than doing research I just bought it. Anyway I've now been doing some research and it just seems recreational flying of a drone in the UK is a massive ball ache. Looked into doing the A2 c of c qualification to help derestrict where I can fly and even that seems to be pretty useless. I actually never got hassle from anyone when I had the Mavic but my understanding is loads more folk complain now. In fact I rarely hear drones round my way anymore.

The air 3 is currently packed up ready to return. I had made my mind up earlier but as the day has worn on I'm now having doubts. Am I being defeatist? Is it so difficult flying a drone now? I'm a pilot by trade so love aviation obviously and always loved the perspective a drone gave me. Yes I know I could buy a mini 3 Pro but tbh I like the bigger drones and certain features they offer as well as the 3x zoom on the air 3.

Flipping eck what do I do lol. Cheers
Don't give up on the Air 3, try getting the A2CofC via UAB Hub they offer very good course and not too expensive and you will get an unchallengable CAA Drone Pilot Qualification. The Air 3 is by far the best ever DJI Camera Drone in its price range I migrated from the original Mini, Mini2, Air 2 and Air 2S, the Air 3 is a very stable drone, with excellent battery life having most of the features of the more expensive Mavic 3 series, stick with it you won't be dissapointed, that is intil the Air 3S is released LOL......

mera

Don't give up on the Air 3, try getting the A2CofC via UAB Hub they offer very good course and not too expensive and you will get an unchallengable CAA Drone Pilot Qualification. The Air 3 is by far the best ever DJI Camera Drone in its price range I migrated from the original Mini, Mini2, Air 2 and Air 2S, the Air 3 is a very stable drone, with excellent battery life having most of the features of the more expensive Mavic 3 series, stick with it you won't be disappointed, that is until the Air 3S is released LOL......
Still missing the 7x telephoto of the Mavic 3, but the 3x from the Mavic 3 Pro is a definite good compromise. The other missing feature is the Explore mode, which integrates the two cameras in a continuous zoom, instead of having to constantly manually switch between them, with a significant delay.

Hi. First ever post. So I just bought an Air 3. Got it yesterday. So far I've just updated the firmware. The last drone I had was a Mavic 2 zoom. Sold that nearly 2 years ago. Logged a lot of hours on it so have some experience with that size of drone. Anyway I've been wanting to get back into it again and with the release of the air 3 I thought now would be a good time to jump in.

Rather than doing research I just bought it. Anyway I've now been doing some research and it just seems recreational flying of a drone in the UK is a massive ball ache. Looked into doing the A2 c of c qualification to help derestrict where I can fly and even that seems to be pretty useless. I actually never got hassle from anyone when I had the Mavic but my understanding is loads more folk complain now. In fact I rarely hear drones round my way anymore.

The air 3 is currently packed up ready to return. I had made my mind up earlier but as the day has worn on I'm now having doubts. Am I being defeatist? Is it so difficult flying a drone now? I'm a pilot by trade so love aviation obviously and always loved the perspective a drone gave me. Yes I know I could buy a mini 3 Pro but tbh I like the bigger drones and certain features they offer as well as the 3x zoom on the air 3.

My finger is hovering over the Return button on Amazon.

This hobby is clearly dying and I’m planning to get out before my Air3 is worthless and illegal to fly. I think I might replace it with a Mini 3 Pro, a simple little sub-250g drone for half the money that will very likely be enough for my casual use.

But I’m not sure I want any drone now, with all the bureaucratic flack aiming to bring us all back to the ground.

And after getting threatened with expulsion from this forum for using a common word to express frustration and surprise in a context pertaining only to myself, I am not really interested in hanging around here to be censored. Today the owner even offered to cut my annual fee in half, but you can’t fly with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys.

Oops, I just pressed the Return button.

My finger is hovering over the Return button on Amazon.

This hobby is clearly dying and I’m planning to get out before my Air3 is worthless and illegal to fly. I think I might replace it with a Mini 3 Pro, a simple little sub-250g drone for half the money that will very likely be enough for my casual use.

But I’m not sure I want any drone now, with all the bureaucratic flack aiming to bring us all back to the ground.

And after getting threatened with expulsion from this forum for using a common word to express frustration and surprise in a context pertaining only to myself, I am not really interested in hanging around here to be censored. Today the owner even offered to cut my annual fee in half, but you can’t fly with eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys.

Oops, I just pressed the Return button.
I'm one of the biggest skeptics but even I don't believe the recreational drone hobby is dying and I also do not believe we're going to get grounded, not even close....not in my lifetime. I don't know what else to say other than it's not going to happen. I'm at a loss for words, I don't know anyone or anything that can stop "drones" at this point. I understand there is some friction and some push back but this one we can win by waiting it out and "fly under the radar" so to speak....for sure. It's just a matter of time before the entire drone community get fed up and let the games begin. 😂

I'm one of the biggest skeptics but even I don't believe the recreational drone hobby is dying and I also do not believe we're going to get grounded, not even close....not in my lifetime. I don't know what else to say other than it's not going to happen. I'm at a loss for words, I don't know anyone or anything that can stop "drones" at this point. I understand there is some friction and some push back but this one we can win by waiting it out and "fly under the radar" so to speak....for sure. It's just a matter of time before the entire drone community get fed up and let the games begin. 😂
I hear you. But I just don’t need more grief in my life from something that’s supposed to be fun.

I hear you. But I just don’t need more grief in my life from something that’s supposed to be fun.
I've got a similar outlook to you, on the other side of the pond we are looking down the barrel of a new set of regulation being thrashed out without the participation of anyone fighting the corner of 'hobbyists' or independent sole operators - revisions that address "safety and SECURITY issues" and also create a practical framework for the investigation and prosecution for "historic offenses". Yeah.... the fun and excitement HAS been stamped on by turd-skinning bureaucracy, but regardless of the 'cons' piling up in an ever growing heap, every time I put a bird up in the air: I forget the worry headaches and STILL feel the wonder and fascination of being able to get shots that less than 10 years ago would have required the rental of a helicopter. Guess I'll just carry on carrying on until I have to fill in a ream of paperwork and apply for flight permission a week in advance for every flight. THEN I'll throw the towel in.

I know. That’s why I’m on the fence as to buying another one or just dropping the whole thing.
You might try finding an un-updated Mini 3 Pro manufactured before September, 2022. It's the holy grail of drones. They will not broadcast RID unless updated by the pilot to do so. The drone is completely legally exempt from any FAA registration and RID, as long as it is flown recreationally with the original stock battery. Still won't get rid of Karens, but they won't be able to find you from RID, and it minimizes your investment, looks like a toy, and is quiet as a whisper, compared to the larger drones. Hope you can find one!

Reactions: David MacNeill

What did you decide? It's all a matter of cost to benefit. Agree with you that regulations can be painful. US situation is constantly shifting. If the regs make you angry, best to quit and save your stomach lining.

If you keep flying, be safe and courteous. Complaints best controlled by avoiding tight situations.

Best wishes.

I know. That’s why I’m on the fence as to buying another one or just dropping the whole thing.
If the sport makes you angry, find something more in line with your preferences. Tennis anyone? Boxing?

Courteous and careful will get us farther forward than anger and "games".

Keep it, it is a great all round drone and gaining the A2 CofC not too great a challenge, try UAVHub, excellent course. The Air 3 is not the demon some are making it out to be, a worthy successor to the Air 2S and twin camera's with true optical zoom excellent stils abd vid's. Having one myself my only concern was when I purchased it in August 24 and still is, is when it becomes superceded by the Air 3S or Air 3 Pro, till then it's got all the bells and whistles in a drone one can hope for at a price just about right for amateurs or professional users. It is surprisingly quiet and now with Cruise control, Waypoints and the only real downer was having to buy a third party charger as the DJI dedicated chargers was a rare as rocking horse pooh when I got mine, I went for an Anker 1off Amazon as recomended by Youtuber 'IanInLondon' great choice.

Reactions: Thmoore
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N